Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much maintenance?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I've been using the VIP E-Cig (the cig a like one) for just under 2 weeks now, and I've been looking at buying one of the larger, non cig-a-likes that uses liquid instead of the pre filled cartomisers.

Only thing putting me off is when watching videos they look a bit confusing. I was looking at the Kanger Twist as that seems to be what everyone on here recommends for people starting off anyway, just wondering how much maintenance is involved in one of these? Is it a case of charge the battery, screw on the cartomiser, pour in the liquid and away you go? I've heard people saying there's a tonne of cleaning/replacing parts that needs to be done with these liquid ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Iano_128 wrote: »
    I've been using the VIP E-Cig (the cig a like one) for just under 2 weeks now, and I've been looking at buying one of the larger, non cig-a-likes that uses liquid instead of the pre filled cartomisers.

Only thing putting me off is when watching videos they look a bit confusing. I was looking at the Kanger Twist as that seems to be what everyone on here recommends for people starting off anyway, just wondering how much maintenance is involved in one of these? Is it a case of charge the battery, screw on the cartomiser, pour in the liquid and away you go? I've heard people saying there's a tonne of cleaning/replacing parts that needs to be done with these liquid ones.

That is pretty much it. You will need to rinse and clean the clearomiser every few refills and change the coil once per week ish, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sakiboy

How do ye know when ye need to change the coil ?
    I'm using a Kanger t3 Clearomiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Manky/burnt/over-sugary/bland taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sakiboy

Thanks for the reply Grindle.
    It doesn't really taste manky , burnt or over sugary but it is definitely Bland.I was thinking something wasn't working right and hoping it wasn't my taste buds ! I have a spare coil and will change it now .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

sakiboy wrote: »
    ...it is definitely Bland.I was thinking something wasn't working right and hoping it wasn't my taste buds !

If you've been vaping the same juice non-stop it could well be your taste buds.
    If not, carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, you need to have a couple of juices on the go really. If not, the taste buds do go kinda numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links on here but does anyone know if this one has the coils?

http://www.vipelectroniccigarette.ie/photon-express-kit-p-20.html

Doesn't say if they're included or anything about changing them..

I'm using their look-a-like ones at the moment and they seem good so thinking of just sticking with the same brand.. Better the devil you know and all that!

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links on here but does anyone know if this one has the coils?

http://www.vipelectroniccigarette.ie/photon-express-kit-p-20.html

Doesn't say if they're included or anything about changing them..

I'm using their look-a-like ones at the moment and they seem good so thinking of just sticking with the same brand.. Better the devil you know and all that!

With the VIP ones, the clearo is disposable. Imho, you would be better off getting a starter kit from e-smokeireland, thebestshop or vaperus.

Can I ask why?
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm is the one I've been looking at because everyone on here has nothing but good to say about it, and I've seen that site get a tonne of praise on here too.. Just want to know if those ones require more maintenance, what's the advantages of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The only maintenance is cleaning the clearomiser (i just run warm water through it), change the coil when needed, and clean the contacts with a tissue every now and then, to ensure proper charging of the battery and a good connection. Coils cost about €2 each. As for esmokeireland, you won't have any problems with them. Great customer service.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why?
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm is the one I've been looking at because everyone on here has nothing but good to say about it, and I've seen that site get a tonne of praise on here too.. Just want to know if those ones require more maintenance, what's the advantages of them?

Why what?

That kit from e-smokeireland is probably.the best, as easy to use as the VIP ones and (if you put "boards" into the voucher code box) isn't that much more expensive than a much more inferior kit from VIP. Including juice etc.

The other sites do similar kits and also cheaper.options. An equivalent kit to the VIP one would cost around €25.

Sorry with the why I was just asking why I'd be better off with the Kanger one? Totally new to this so not really sure what advantages one has over another etc... 'tis a very confusing world when you're new to it as I'm sure you all know!

Sorry with the why I was just asking why I'd be better off with the Kanger one? Totally new to this so not really sure what advantages one has over another etc... 'tis a very confusing world when you're new to it as I'm sure you all know!

No worries.

I'm sure the VIP ones are good, but they.are essentially an ego battery with a CE4 clearomiser. A similar kit.from thebestshop.eu would cost.€19.99.

An ego battery will be more or less the same wherever.you get it, but the clearomiser will vary enormously and will make or break your vaping experience.

Kanger clearos, such as the evod, T2, T3 and protank all have changeable coils, so when the coil goes, you swap it for a new one. These are about €2 each.

The iclear16 also has changeable coils and has a good reputation, although I've never tried one.

Thanks for the help! I think I'll ring the guys at e-smokeireland or thebestshop and have a chat with them see if they can recommend which clearomisers because the kit on their site offers a choice of a few of them and I haven't the first clue what the difference between any of them.

How long would you expect a coil to last on average?

Thanks for the help! I think I'll ring the guys at e-smokeireland or thebestshop and have a chat with them see if they can recommend which clearomisers because the kit on their site offers a choice of a few of them and I haven't the first clue what the difference between any of them.

How long would you expect a coil to last on average?

A coil will last a week, longer if you clean and dry burn it. There's advice on here how to do it.

Clearos typically cost a fiver each, and you'll end up with a.collection over the next couple of months until you find one that works for.you.

Evod, T3s and protank all use the same ones, so personally I'd go for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I began with a starter kit from VIP....one batt and two clearomisers + 10 ml juice.....quality was fine but for the same price you can get two variable voltage batteries and better quality clearomisers from Vaperus or ESI.....got a second starter kit from ESI as I realised quickly how important spares are.....have bought a mod and dripper since that and have still not spent as much on devices and liquid as I would have on smoking.

The quality of vape does get better with good quality tanks and drippers. The Ego batteries with the kits are solid, reliable and seem to last for some time, will fit almost all tanks/clearomisers/drippers. You can't go wrong with them :)

Was literally just reading about dry burning there! This is probably a stupid question but what's the difference between the clearos? I thought they were only the place you pour the juice so it can be heated and inhaled? Clearly I'm wrong if different ones give different vapes etc..

Cheers again for all the advice lads, so much to take in and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Was literally just reading about dry burning there! This is probably a stupid question but what's the difference between the clearos? I thought they were only the place you pour the juice so it can be heated and inhaled? Clearly I'm wrong if different ones give different vapes etc..

Similar vape,you get a warm vape & a cool vape,I prefer a cool vape,which means the clearo have a bottom coil setup & a warm vape has coils at the top,some you fill from top & others from the bottom,you need to watch alot vids on utube,its easier to learn by watching rather than reading,good luck...

There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

Some clears are bottom coil, most now are top coil, some have one coil, some two coils. Top coils give a warmer vape, two coils is even warmer. All have varying wick configurations from two wicks up, some are inside tubes, some not.

The cheaper ones are disposable, but you can wash and dry burn as you have been reading about and this can and will extend the life of one significantly.

Better ones you can buy wick/coil assembly's separately and that works out cheaper in the long run. The length of time you will get out of wicks/coils depends on the juice you use, dark/tobacco and some sweet juices gunk up coils very quickly. Others like Menthol seem to last way longer. This can vary in length from 2-3days to 2-3 weeks or longer.

There is a ton of info to take in and learn so no need to be afraid of asking questions at all....It is quite bewildering to the newcomer when faced with the array of devices that are available but I have learned that when there is a consensus on here like about the Kanger starter kits, it is to be taken heed of :D

Similar vape,you get a warm vape & a cool vape,I prefer a cool vape,which means the clearo have a bottom coil setup & a warm vape has coils at the top,some you fill from top & others from the bottom,you need to watch alot vids on utube,its easier to learn by watching rather than reading,good luck...
    I too prefer a cool vape now but at the start the warm vape from top coil clearomisers was what I was looking for, somehow more cigarette like......I've wondered a lot about the quitting process and as our sense of taste and smell returns just how much this effects our taste in clearomisers and tank systems.

Most people I know are using EGOs and clearomisers and no interest in upgrading at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bite the bullet Iano. Make a purchase. You'll just wreck your brain trying to figure it all out. Clearomisers cost less than a packet of cigarettes. Buy one of each to go with a couple of ego batteries, and see which one works best for you.

Trial and error is the best way to work out what works for you. And the sellers, while they'll point you in a general direction, can really only give their opinion.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

Some clears are bottom coil, most now are top coil, some have one coil, some two coils. Top coils give a warmer vape, two coils is even warmer. All have varying wick configurations from two wicks up, some are inside tubes, some not.

The cheaper ones are disposable, but you can wash and dry burn as you have been reading about and this can and will extend the life of one significantly.

Better ones you can buy wick/coil assembly's separately and that works out cheaper in the long run. The length of time you will get out of wicks/coils depends on the juice you use, dark/tobacco and some sweet juices gunk up coils very quickly. Others like Menthol seem to last way longer. This can vary in length from 2-3days to 2-3 weeks or longer.

There is a ton of info to take in and learn so no need to be afraid of asking questions at all....It is quite bewildering to the newcomer when faced with the array of devices that are available but I have learned that when there is a consensus on here like about the Kanger starter kits, it is to be taken heed of :D

I think I'll start off with the simpler disposable ones for now, then when I get my head around them I'll see about moving on to the ones I can replace parts in. Sure is bewildering alright! Spent a fair bit of time today watching videos and reading up on stuff though and think I have a much better idea, and yeah the amount of positive comments here about the Kanger I'll follow the wise Boards Vapers :)
    dePeatrick wrote: »
    I too prefer a cool vape now but at the start the warm vape from top coil clearomisers was what I was looking for, somehow more cigarette like......I've wondered a lot about the quitting process and as our sense of taste and smell returns just how much this effects our taste in clearomisers and tank systems.

Most people I know are using EGOs and clearomisers and no interest in upgrading at all.

I think I'll start off with the top ones in that case then, only very new off the smokes at the moment so want to keep vaping as similar to smoking so I don't end up back on them.. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I start experimenting with juices.. Some mental ones out there from what I've seen :)
    DubTony wrote: »
    Bite the bullet Iano. Make a purchase. You'll just wreck your brain trying to figure it all out. Clearomisers cost less than a packet of cigarettes. Buy one of each to go with a couple of ego batteries, and see which one works best for you.

Trial and error is the best way to work out what works for you. And the sellers, while they'll point you in a general direction, can really only give their opinion.

You're dead right! I'm sure this is all way easier when you have the device in your hand and can look at it and the parts.. The kit I'm looking at says it comes with 2 clearomisers so I'll get a couple of top ones and a couple of bottom ones and see which one I like more, have a feeling it'll be the top one for now if it's more smoke-like..

Good luck with the quitting, some people sail through it, others including myself had quitters flu and really was not well for about two to three weeks, never felt better now and never going back on the cigarettes.....:)

You're dead right! I'm sure this is all way easier when you have the device in your hand and can look at it and the parts.. The kit I'm looking at says it comes with 2 clearomisers so I'll get a couple of top ones and a couple of bottom ones and see which one I like more, have a feeling it'll be the top one for now if it's more smoke-like..[/QUOTE]

Some of the top coil atomizers need to be fed with juice,every 2 or 3 vapes you need to tilt the mod so the juice wets the top part of the wick & coil or you will get a burnt taste & its not very nice.
    The iclear 16 & iclear 30 have top coils & they never need to be manually fed,not the ones I have & I use at least 10 of them every day & never had a burnt taste off any of them in the last 6 months,not sure what date these clearo's went on the market but I bought them as soon as they were available.
    My worst experience with tanks was the Viva Vova top coil setup,I must have dumped half a dozen of them,saying that,there are alot of vapers who loved them,I think you need to be lucky to get the perfect coil head,there can be bad batches of all heads.
    Talking about dumping all those Viva Nova's,I should have kept the tanks because the new Aspire Viva Nova are the same size,you can swap tanks back & forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

My suggestion:

Get one each of the following clearomisers:

Aspire ET-S BDC
    Innokin iClear30
    Kanger T3s

And a couple of eGo T batteries.

The Aspire is a bottom feed dual coil - my favourite at the moment
    The iClear30 is a top feed dual coil, gives huge vape and flavour
    The Kanger is a bottom feed single coil, this is what I started with.

You will very quickly find which you prefer. All are easy to fill and clean.

Wiggy wrote: »
    My suggestion:

Aspire ET-S BDC
    Innokin iClear30
    Kanger T3s

All those ones you mentioned are my favourite ones,the new Aspires are fantastic,I have been using the new iclear30S for the last two weeks & so far it has been great.
    I always liked the Kanger T3 until the T3S appeared,a much better coil system & better vape,so I bought the T3S base & coil & fitted them onto my T3

Wiggy wrote: »
    My suggestion:

Aspire ET-S BDC
    Innokin iClear30
    Kanger T3s

Right I have all that written down there now, adding it all to the cart and now I have another question.. Totally hadn't thought about this 'til now but which liquid? I know it totally depends on the person but I'm just looking for something tobacco flavoured to start off with.. I'm looking at the Wingnuts juice and I can see they have "Ankara Tobacco" or RY4 tobacco mix..

No description on what the difference would be for any.. Can anyone recommend what just has a good tobacco taste to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Can anyone recommend what just has a good tobacco taste to it?

Like yourself, I gave up the smokes using VIP cigalikes. I was using the 24mg USA Mix cartos.

I haven't found anything that I like as much as that for some reason. I have tried loads......

I currently use VIP USA Mix 16mg eliquid which I buy from their uk site. I found that 24mg, while perfect for the cartos, was too strong (in nicotine) for the clearos. 16mg gives me enough nicotine now, and the flavour is exactly the same.

When you buy 6x30 ml bottles form VIP UK you get free UK postage, so I get it sent to ParcelMotel, and it get's to me for €3.50. This lasts me anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. Also, VIP are very quick to ship.

I get all my hardware from e-smokeireland usually, unless they don't stock what I need. Great service from them always.

Yeah I'm using the 24mg B&H cartomisers at the moment and they're perfect for me.. I'm surprised on how long you're saying the liquid lasts though.. Would you be a heavy vaper or just average? I thought the juice lasted around a month..

• Advertisement

RY4 is a pretty safe bet, regardless of brand.

Advertisement