Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain QR codes real quick?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

OK so Im getting flyers printed and the printer advised I should put one of those QR codes into it, the sort you see everywhere these days and you scan it with your phone and it takes you right to the site.

I know absolutely nothing about them so can someone just give me a nudge in the right direction.

Is there a one type fits all? Or is it kinda one type of bar code is for mac and one type for windows.

Im getting 5000 flyers printed and just dont want to find out afterwards that I got a barcode printed that only supports apple devices or something.

Im thinking of using this site here

http://tag.cx/

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You should be able to generate one here. http://www.barcode-generator.org/

Here's an example of one I made just now.

281782.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

All QR codes are the same.
    All QR codes are stupid.

When is the last time you saw someone take their phone out to try and take a picture of one of them? People just google for your name instead, it's quicker and it stops them fumbling about trying to get the right lighting/focus/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

QR codes are standard across all platforms.

Although for security reasons I'd never scan a QR code and unconditionally jump to a website, it could redirect me to a malicious website infected with malware.

If you've space on your poster, go for it, but I think it's of limited value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

You know I never thought about it that way. I suppose ye are right by the time you'd get the damn camera lined up right and what happens if you havent got the phone handy. I think I'll just stick with regular old www.xzy.com

Lads, seeing as you seem to know about phones and stuff would you mind answering me another question. Do you know when I buy my domain name like xyz.com and I can have an email address like william@xyz what kind of phone do I need to get a text message when I get an email. It would be a smart phone wouldnt it? I was looking at a Samsung Galaxy Mini... its only about 60euro what would you think? Or should I look for something else??

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    Lads, seeing as you seem to know about phones and stuff would you mind answering me another question. Do you know when I buy my domain name like xyz.com and I can have an email address like william@xyz what kind of phone do I need to get a text message when I get an email. It would be a smart phone wouldnt it? I was looking at a Samsung Galaxy Mini... its only about 60euro what would you think? Or should I look for something else??

QR codes are universal. They cost nothing. Include your www.xyz.com and put a qr-code on it too. Its generally not an either or scenario.

You can also choose whether to put a url or text or other stuff into your qr code. The choice is yours. You could, for example, put a load of text into the qr code that would appear on the users phone when scanned. This could be an additional offer or something like that.

Phone wise, it isn't a function of the phone, and generally at this stage not a function of SMS text messaging to alert you that there is a new message in your email (though some services will offer that).

What you need to do is configure your settings of the phone to access your email, and then you'll receive notifications on your phone that you have new mail when it arrives (push mail). This will work with most smart phone email clients and most services (gmail, outlook.com, etc...). So long as its a smart phone (android, iOS).

Advertisement