Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar run down?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

could be in better shape, but very run down is ott imo.

think the shops should get together and have the place cleaned a couple of times a week (if they want my €).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Its very run down at the moment,In a few years itll be very bad if it doesnt improve..it was a lovely place when built

Il'll tell you a place it should model itself on...Tyrellstown.
    I was down there last week and the place was spotless and well maintained.It shows the difference when an area has a good maintenance company running it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

any idea why Dunnes had to close the front entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

Too many robberies. One entrance now with security on it.

Was there Saturday evening and agreed it doesn't look great. Ironically the closure of the pub doesn't help matters as it currently has the feel of a ghost town with gangs of youths hanging around outside Xtravision in darkness.

The person who references Tyrrellstown makes a very valid point. Place is spotless and well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

To be honest guys . Once the autum leaves fall everywhere looks abit worse for wear , i personally would get on to the management company and the more calls the better .

As for youths are they up to mischief or just hanging atound cause theres nothing to do ?..

I live in tyrrelstown and we have strong community links with the garda and our management companies , we have a very active and vocal residents ass. And i would say we have a high population of owner occupier versus renters . What is this ratio in Ongar ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Have to agree - it has been going downhill for a few years.

In comparison to Tyrellstown, I think TT was a better design. The village (or shopping area) for example has wider streets than Ongar and is more spacious with the main supermarket sited far better than Dunnes in Ongar.

Perhaps residents of Ongar should band together and have a clean up day. Fingal County Council will provide bags etc for this purpose. This would give the youths hanging about something to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

When they start getting up to mischief thats when problems start . My advice to sll in ongar is to start community groups or get involved . Ring your management company ,

Ring the community garda in blanch get him to drop up . Hes a great guy .

Dont just get on here and complain ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its the same old story unfortunately, these sort of observations are valid and raise their head every few months on the forum.

I dont know if anyone has been able to explain the current limbo between developer, mgt co. and Co. Council as regards Ongar. It just doesnt have anyone focussing on it it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 GZ250

I rarely go to Ongar but have noticed it doesn't look as well as it used to.

As for Littlepace shops, I walked up there two Friday's ago, evening c 7:30pm and there were lots of kids hanging about. I had to weave my way through them and then run the gauntlet stepping over bicycles etc., to enter the Spar. There was a young man refusing entry to some of the kids in an effort at "security" but it was still a very uncomfortable scenario for me. I won't be going there again after dark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

GZ250 wrote: »
    I rarely go to Ongar but have noticed it doesn't look as well as it used to.

As for Littlepace shops, I walked up there two Friday's ago, evening c 7:30pm and there were lots of kids hanging about. (

Agreed on both points. I was at the littlepace shops on Sunday evening and there were about 15 teenagers hanging out between the church and Jazzy flowers. There was even a ball being whacked around. I've seen that on a few occasions before and it puts me off shopping there.

As for Ongar - the playground is an absolute disgrace. I was down there one day and someone had been smoking joints there - the stubs on the ground beside the melted play equipment. Fingal Co. Council were given upfront payment for maintenance of the playground (it says as much on the sign there) - they aren't maintaining it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They'd have to be replacing the equipment every week to cope with the slack jawed eff-wits that wreck it. I wouldnt be happy with good tax payers money been thrown after bad, its a community problem which needs a community solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

It really is the lack of owner occupier, too many rented property's to irish and forigen nationals who in turn do not and probably will not have any sense of community spirt, which in turn results in less care for the area as its seen as a kip and less people to phone/email/follow up on works with fingal county council.

If people have pride in ownership, something they've actually bought with their own hard earned cash rather than be given it for free well then the area would be better as a whole, but that's going to be hard for ongar with the ratio of bought Vs renting.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They'd have to be replacing the equipment every week to cope with the slack jawed eff-wits that wreck it. I wouldnt be happy with good tax payers money been thrown after bad, its a community problem which needs a community solution

Yes, the solution is to take out the equipment altogether. It isn't particularly safe at all. There are pieces missing from the tower which could result in a nasty fall for a child. The broken glass ia ongoing too. It is a liability.

robertxxx wrote: »
    It really is the lack of owner occupier, too many rented property's to irish and forigen nationals who in turn do not and probably will not have any sense of community spirt, which in turn results in less care for the area as its seen as a kip and less people to phone/email/follow up on works with fingal county council.

If people have pride in ownership, something they've actually bought with their own hard earned cash rather than be given it for free well then the area would be better as a whole, but that's going to be hard for ongar with the ratio of bought Vs renting.

The issue with Ongar is that the developer has gone into receivership. Even if there was a higher ratio of owner occupiers the place would still be run down. Our estate is maintained by Fingal. Ongar has not been maintained properly since it was built. It has little to do with occupancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

:rolleyes:

The same management company still runs the maintance on the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

:rolleyes:

Fantastic response. Although could you be a little clearer with the finer points you are trying to make?

I find robertxxx post spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

I see Kellys has been rebranded Cu Cúchulainn (I think thats the name as I drove past earlier)

I miss having the pub opened in the village - without it, makes it look dreary....

I look forward to going in for a drink sometime soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

nicnac wrote: »
    There was even a ball being whacked around. I've seen that on a few occasions before and it puts me off shopping there.

As for Ongar - the playground is an absolute disgrace. I was down there one day and someone had been smoking joints there - the stubs on the ground beside the melted play equipment..

Id say youre some craic at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

How do you know who owns or not? Are you privy to some special information or are you basing it on appearances?

Most of the homes are well kept, gardens neat and tidy so I don't know how you're drawing this idea that it's full of people who don't connect with the area?

It's not up to any resident to maintain the roadways - it's up to the management company. To do that people need to pay their management fees.

It's also not up to any resident to take charge of street litter nor graffiti.

Again, management company, and also up to the perpetrators to not be scumbag ingrates.

There's a clean up Ongar group on Facebook for those who like to contribute to cleaning even though it's not our responsibility. There's a clean up this Saturday - hope to see you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I see Kellys has been rebranded Cu Cúchulainn (I think thats the name as I drove past earlier)

I miss having the pub opened in the village - without it, makes it look dreary....

I look forward to going in for a drink sometime soon...

Bar and Grill - I love going for food locally so I will definitely give this place a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I doubt they smashed any windows though. There's worse they could be doing than knocking a ball around amongst themselves. You make it soun like they're absolutely lashing it at passers-by and cars maliciously

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Back on topic. The appearance of the village has gone downhill. The closing of the main entrance of Dunnes Stores has taken the life and soul out of the Main Street. I understand why it was done but it looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder do people just see or focus on what they want to see.

I got a flyer in the door yesterday from the Ongar Tidy Town committee about past and upcoming clean up work performed purely by volunteers. It gave me a great sense of satisfaction knowing I live alongside neighbours who care so much for and have pride in their community and proactively strive to improve it.

I'm impressed by all the recent pedestrian friendly and cycle lane developments that enhance the safety of Ongar. The management company has started cleaning up areas around my vicinity (painting common walls, repairing crumbling walls and stairwells, the green areas and landscaping being attended to on a weekly basis all throughout the summer) and the place looks the better for it.

The new schools being built over by Hansfield and the opening of the station this year will bring benefits in the longterm. Even just hearing about the new eating and drinking establishment in the above post is another plus for Ongar.

Yes, there is a significant number of areas that warrant attention or improvement but it is not as bad as people are making out. It is not a crumbling ghetto with roaming gangs of lawless youths making everyone fear for their safety. I feel perfectly safe here but I'm aware no place is completely safe including Ongar. I'm an 8.5 year resident in Ongar with no past ties to the area and I can honestly say I really enjoy living in Ongar and have no regrets about moving here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Knock off the personal abuse guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gle

Just saw this discussion thread .... We have lived in Ongar for twelve years and yes there are problems with the management company and the taking in charge of the area by Fingal County Council. The fact that Manor Park Homes are in receivership hasn't helped either.

However ...

We have really lovely neighbours. We know most of them by name. Some are owner occupiers, some renters. We live in an area which is culturally diverse. A good thing in my opinion. We have never heard of any tensions of any kind nor have we witnessed or been a victim of any crime. The schools in the area are highly regarded and Ongar Community Ctr is well run with lots on for adults, teens and children. We have great transport links also with a very frequent bus service, cycle paths and the new rail station.

The Ongar Tidy Towns group are making great progress in dealing with rubbish build up and littering. There is a Facebook page for those interested in getting involved. Please remember that Ongar is a large area with a lot of people from other areas passing through to schools and shops which adds to the litter problem. As far as I am aware the excessive litter in the village during a week or so last summer was due to the management company. The closing of Dunnes Stores main door doesn't enhance the village. Please make a complaint to Dunnes head office if you agree.

Community spirit takes time but it is evident. People generally do say hello if you are out and about. Ongar is a nice place to live. Not without its problems like everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was glad to see the landscaping contractors at work today in my part of the neighborhood trimming back and tidying overgrown shrubbery, collecting leaves and other residues gathered over the winter. Surprised to see them at work in January as I always thought they only started in Spring. It's nice to know our mgt fees are being used effectively!

• Advertisement

My windows and gutters where cleaned during the week and the communal area at the water feature has had work done on it . I also got a letter in the door that my balcony was leaking into the apartment below and the managment company were starting works on monday to rectify , any damage will be rectified ,

Management company are alive and active at the moment . Make a call or write a letter and they should rectify any issues you may have

Advertisement