Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Can't believe people have passed the PCA while the rest of us chummmmmmps are still in limbo ha Well done all!

Need to go here for the next 10 days though :)

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44094908.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭canuck_copper

Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

psni_lad wrote: »
    Same I hope to try the advanced bike test someday but wouldn't do it as a job.

I spoke to an officer at Balmoral show. They won't train you and then not use you, and I'm led to believe it's more of a hands up role than a selection thing. Keep the bike for Sunday if you don't want to work at it. No better training than cruising

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

tony1985 wrote: »
    I spoke to an officer at Balmoral show. They won't train you and then not use you, and I'm led to believe it's more of a hands up role than a selection thing. Keep the bike for Sunday if you don't want to work at it. No better training than cruising

yeah didn't mean the police officer bike course. Just the advanced motorists test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

What??? I've been trained for 3 years in the bikes. Never used once. The roles are controlled by ops planning. And they have their favourites. I'm better used as brick fodder at Twaddell! :p

You were trained without previous riding experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

What??? I've been trained for 3 years in the bikes. Never used once. The roles are controlled by ops planning. And they have their favourites. I'm better used as brick fodder at Twaddell! :p

Now that is interesting - I would love to do the police bike training but do not particularly want a career in the saddle.

wanadrum wrote: »
    Now that is interesting - I would love to do the police bike training but do not particularly want a career in the saddle.

Haha, then don't worry, while you're in response it won't be an issue. These days it's reserved for NPT or traffic. And that's fair, response in this country doesn't really allow for a guy to be on his own. Sadly it's just not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Haha, then don't worry, while you're in response it won't be an issue. These days it's reserved for NPT or traffic. And that's fair, response in this country doesn't really allow for a guy to be on his own. Sadly it's just not safe.

I'll be glad just to get my foot in the door and see what happens a few years down the line. Would be good even to get out for a ride with some bike cops though, they are bound to be full of knowledge and able to give good advice/tips for improving riding style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Fairplay for sticking around for a few hours and answering a few Q's for the guys, Testarossa!

Random Q for ya, Can response officer uses Tangis/Pangolins ?? If i ever manage to get that far id be more comfortable driving one, leg room wise! :P

• Advertisement

Fairplay for sticking around for a few hours and answering a few Q's for the guys, Testarossa!

Random Q for ya, Can response officer uses Tangis/Pangolins ?? If i ever manage to get that far id be more comfortable driving one, leg room wise! :P

Yes, absolutely. But mainly around Belfast/Derry/Ican'tbearsedtogiveDerry more names. ;)

If you already have a C class on your licence, then you're sweet. Just apply for for the white bulldozer course. If not, the PSNI will help you pay for the theory test to get it on your licence. But if you aren't in the areas it's driven day to day be prepared to climb over someone else's dead body to get the course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

Yes, absolutely. But mainly around Belfast/Derry/Ican'tbearsedtogiveDerry more names. ;)

If you already have a C class on your licence, then you're sweet. Just apply for for the white bulldozer course. If not, the PSNI will help you pay for the theory test to get it on your licence. But if you aren't in the areas it's driven day to day be prepared to climb over someone else's dead body to get the course :p

In NI there aren't too many places they aren't driven day to day! ;-)

TDA2 wrote: »
    In NI there aren't too many places they aren't driven day to day! ;-)

You'd be surprised to be honest. They're seen as confrontational, and a lot of places don't need them.

I'm thinking of doing my hgv in the next few months prior to going, but if I thought the psni would pay I maybe wouldn't! Worth thinking about, but then do you really want to be driving a landrover in a riot? You could get into trouble if a MLA decides to cross the road, or worse. The other thing is the old ones are very unstable and can fall over when cornering. Don't know if the appeal is that strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

I'm thinking of doing my hgv in the next few months prior to going, but if I thought the psni would pay I maybe wouldn't! Worth thinking about, but then do you really want to be driving a landrover in a riot? You could get into trouble if a MLA decides to cross the road, or worse. The other thing is the old ones are very unstable and can fall over when cornering. Don't know if the appeal is that strong!

If your all for overtime it's definatley worth having, I know there's not enough drivers for the tangis in A district and it's good way of being guarenteed overtime

I wouldn't let that isolated incident put you off, however I have heard they are a nightmare to drive, I'm happy just to sit in the back

Having driven one that turned over, I'm gonna go ahead and claim a mechanical default, the suspension was clearly faulty on that sharp right-then-left on the roundabout in North Belfast... :o

But Given's right, tangy drivers get great OT if you're from a district that doesn't use them on patrol. And if there's a layyyydeeeee/maaaaaannnn you like in your section then who's to say it wasn't the cornering that made you fall on top of them... .??? ;)

Haha that's not keeping within the three p's;-)

You're mental. Patrol, Pay, Pull.

Count the Ps... :p

Haha brilliant, I could work to them three

Obviously I'd like to to point out that all of the above is humour between good friends, and at all times our patrolling remains professional (detecting and preventing crime), protective (while on patrol protecting everyone and preventing them from being victims of crime), and professional (I'm better than anyone ive ever met at flappy birds) :p

I know a corner that had 3 landrovers on their side in a month. I think there was a competition to see what the fastest speed it could be cornered. I've a retired cousin spilt one in a station in front of an inspector - but he won't talk about it! I've also a cousin fell out of one only to get hit by one coming behind - it hurt!

lol'd reading down through that !

I was wondering... sounds like you manage the 'personal' end to policing alright though Testarossa ! haha

• Advertisement

I've also a cousin fell out of one only to get hit by one coming behind - it hurt!

Are you sure that cousin wasn't the one who works on the back a bin lorries ? :p

Obviously I'd like to to point out that all of the above is humour between good friends, and at all times our patrolling remains professional (detecting and preventing crime), protective (while on patrol protecting everyone and preventing them from being victims of crime), and professional (I'm better than anyone ive ever met at flappy birds) :p

I would say there's no need to explain yourself but we do get the odd comment on here along the lines of 'you people are an embarassment and are going to be terrible police officers etc etc' so it's good to see serving officers engage in a bit of lightheartedness :)

In reality, being a peeler is so much more about getting on with the people you talk to than knowing case law. Legislation is great and you need to know it, but the people you talk to don't have a clue about it. You could spout on and on about section 101 of the made up unicorn act, and people would agree. Because it's not their job to know better.

I see my job as being about A: doing my job, and B: talking to people in a way that makes them trust me to do my job.

Dekkers wrote: »
    I would say there's no need to explain yourself but we do get the odd comment on here along the lines of 'you people are an embarassment and are going to be terrible police officers etc etc' so it's good to see serving officers engage in a bit of lightheartedness :)

Yeah mate, see my last post. The job is serious, but I don't see that means we have to be automatons, reciting lines from a script. No one wants that. They want people they can like and trust.

Give me a partner on patrol that doesn't know the rulebook off by heart, but can connect with people. I'd take that every time over someone who knows every inch of the law but talks down and denigrates people.

Yeah mate, see my last post. The job is serious, but I don't see that means we have to be automatons, reciting lines from a script. No one wants that. They want people they can like and trust.

Give me a partner on patrol that doesn't know the rulebook off by heart, but can connect with people. I'd take that every time over someone who knows every inch of the law but talks down and denigrates people.

Couldn't agree more..or not even talking down to people but, if you were talking like a text book you may as well be talking in Japanese which just isn't very helpful*, never mind personal.

*unless that person is Japanese, of course :)

In reality, being a peeler is so much more about getting on with the people you talk to than knowing case law. Legislation is great and you need to know it, but the people you talk to don't have a clue about it. You could spout on and on about section 101 of the made up unicorn act, and people would agree. Because it's not their job to know better.

I see my job as being about A: doing my job, and B: talking to people in a way that makes them trust me to do my job.

What do you mean the unicorn act isn't real? That's like saying there no legislation for flying reing reindeer and sleighs at Christmas - Its under area 51

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Quiet in here tonight :eek:

Perhaps everyone got their results early and are out celebrating :D

It'll probably pick up at chucking out time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭canuck_copper

Policing is about common sense...if you have that then your flying...some of the idiots they hired here in Canada are book smart but absolutely useless coppers

Is anybody out there... The silent killer... Waiting for the ac results!

Only another 150 hours waiting to find out our destiny. Tick tock tick tock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

So who else is holding out hope for ac results tomorrow?

Advertisement