Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

psni_lad wrote: »
    So who else is holding out hope for ac results tomorrow?

MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol.

Just want to know either way. I dont know how i would of coped last time around when waiting times were far longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

So who else is holding out hope for ac results tomorrow?

Why would we get them tomorrow when the ac's are running next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

TDA2 wrote: »
    Why would we get them tomorrow when the ac's are running next week?

Bar a few AC's next week the bulk of their work is done. I'd say they'd be safe to start letting people know.

As missyme posted the IST results were due on Thursday or Friday. The emails started arriving on the Monday night.

Whether they will is another story. Guess we'll find out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

This was discussed a while back. Can't remember which thread it was in so just thought I'd post the outcome in here.

http://fermanaghherald.com/2014/03/garrison-gun-jailed-for-plan-to-attack-student-psni-officer/

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Can tell I'm relatively new, I don't remember the discussion, glad they both got jail time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

.S. wrote: »
    Can tell I'm relatively new, I don't remember the discussion, glad they both got jail time

Think it was quite a while ago. I'd actually forgotten all about the case.

Glad to see the sentences too. Even if they were being truthful and only wanted 'to put the frighteners on him' that's still the very definition of terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Just seen on FB that the New York St Patricks day Parade organisers have revoked the PSNI's invitation to participate in the parade! :rolleyes:

I hope the Gardai pull out of the parade in protest over that decision !

They've revoked it?? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

.S. wrote: »
    They've revoked it?? Why?

It's a disgrace. Now the post has been pulled down so wonder if it is true. I copied the post last night

Nyc parade organisers pulled their invite to the psni
    https://m.facebook.com/NYCStPatricksDayParade/posts/668912976499871

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Recently, at the request of the Counsel General of Ireland, the NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade Committee extended an invitation to six members of the PSNI to march in the 2014 NYC Saint Patrick's Day Parade. The contingent planned to march side by side with the An Garda Síochána as a symbol of solidarity. However, many of our loyal supporters and parade participants passionately advocated against the PSNI's participation.

The people of New York City have supported our parade for many generations. While the decision to invite the PSNI was made in an effort to foster peace, we must stand behind those who help make our parade the greatest in the world. Therefore we have rescinded the invitation and the PSNI will not march in the New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade.
    We thank those who wrote in to express concern and we look forward to seeing all of you on March 17th!

It's okay, they're invited again! :rolleyes:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/Northern-Irish-police-will-march-in-NY-StPatricks-Day-parade-despite-threats.html

But the parade committee came under sustained attack on Thursday and Friday from dissident groups in Ireland and America who mounted a major social media campaign as well as phone calls seeking to prevent the PSNI from marching.

A senior source told Irish Central that the parade committee did “suffer a case of jitters” regarding the invitation and the concerted drive to have the invite withdrawn but have now made it clear that the invite stands.

• Advertisement

Hoping they do actually march, would do more harm than good revoking their invite.

God bless all those 'Irish' Americans who believe that the Dissidents are freedom fighters, downing whiskey and Guinness around a fire in a smoky little pub, discussing how oppressed they are. God bless them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

God bless all those 'Irish' Americans who believe that the Dissidents are freedom fighters, downing whiskey and Guinness around a fire in a smoky little pub, discussing how oppressed they are. God bless them.

Americans...

People see those two.officers drag the woman into the bus lane before driving off?

People see those two.officers drag the woman into the bus lane before driving off?

It looked quite bad, but when you see the cctv footage, what did they do that was so wrong... She was running a few sexonds before, she was lucky not to be arrested, public order offence springs to mind. I'd guess the officers moved her out of the way to be able to deal the arrest and prevent her causing further harm, its not that she wasn't concious. I was concerned with the first video and I guess the media and sinn fein portrayal made the officers guilty. If the cctv video had appeared without the mobile phone footage would we be harshly judging. We do not know the full facts and should be careful to judge.

One thing I should say is how big a difference the perceptions are as the increasing amount of evidence comes to light. And now to have the victim coming out stating the officers should be sacked - she will hate the police as she was dragged, embarassed and had her boyfriend arrested due to stupidity and drink.

I agree neither she nor her boyfriend were exactly upstanding citizens however the officers should have taken the time to move her to the path and possibly call another unit to deal with her?

She was running 5 seconds before she was placed on the ground. Maybe an extra metre of a drag would have saved the contraversy. She may had directed them to let go or get their hands off, maybe she tried to bite, maybe the guy in the car needed took away quickly. The woman was able to walk/run and no harm came till her. Had the police not intervened the situation could have been much worse. I am not defending or attacking either party. But we do not know all the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CJ092

Anyone think of throwing their hat in the Scottish ring if unsuccessful with this application?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

CJ092 wrote: »
    Anyone think of throwing their hat in the Scottish ring if unsuccessful with this application?

If I had different personal circumstances I definitely would, but it would not suit me to move to Scotland now.

I'm gona give it a whack if i can !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Elorfanato

My friend got accepted into their police last month. I think I would fancy England more than Scotland. I could see myself joining a Met police like in Manchester or London. I'm a city boy at heart and I can't see myself being some PC Plod in Balamory or some other far flung place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

Unfortunately you have to wait a year before applying to Police Scotland, and a year between each application if unsuccessful.

Taken from their eligibility section of recruitment page:

"You cannot apply if you have been rejected for any reason in the last 12 months by any police force. If you have had an unsuccessful application to any of the former Scottish forces then you must also wait 12 months from the date of that rejection before applying to Police Scotland."

The 12 months thing slipped my mind, though what is the case if some candidates actually pass but don't actually score high enough, will that be classed as a fail ?

quickcatch wrote: »
    Unfortunately you have to wait a year before applying to Police Scotland, and a year between each application if unsuccessful.

Taken from their eligibility section of recruitment page:

"You cannot apply if you have been rejected for any reason in the last 12 months by any police force. If you have had an unsuccessful application to any of the former Scottish forces then you must also wait 12 months from the date of that rejection before applying to Police Scotland."

Completely slipped my mind also, disappointing there goes a potential plan B

Unfortunately that still falls under a reject from a police force, it's very frustrating! However word is the next campaign over here is not far away

quickcatch wrote: »
    Unfortunately that still falls under a reject from a police force, it's very frustrating! However word is the next campaign over here is not far away

You in this one yourself?

Yeah got the wait and see email

I dont think psni rejection counts as it didn't when I applied to CNC in Scotland last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

Forces in England and Wales do the SEARCH Assessment Centre, Police Scotland have their own, as of course do PSNI. So if you fail PSNI selection, you don't have to wait any minimum time before applying on the mainland.

• Advertisement

If it's right that rejection from psni doesn't count then that is good news. Are you totally sure on this space as it does say rejection from any police force. Psni lad if you applied for Scotland last year would it not have been 3 years since the last psni campaign so rejection wouldn't have been an issue?

Advertisement