Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

quickcatch wrote: »
    If it's right that rejection from psni doesn't count then that is good news. Are you totally sure on this space as it does say rejection from any police force. Psni lad if you applied for Scotland last year would it not have been 3 years since the last psni campaign so rejection wouldn't have been an issue?

In England and Wales, you can pass your AC with one force then transfer that pass to another because every force does the exact same AC, in fact there may be applicants from different forces on the same AC. So there's no way of getting around the 6/12 month wait.

However, since PSNI has its own selection, there is no way of them knowing you've even applied.

Evidence:

Someone on this forum was unsuccessful at IST Stage but got into Police Scotland shortly afterwards.

My friend was turned away from AC for IT Qualification but is doing SEARCH Day 1 next week.

I have started a Met application as they only ask if you have failed SEARCH within the past 6 months

Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CJ092

In England and Wales, you can pass your AC with one force then transfer that pass to another because every force does the exact same AC, in fact there may be applicants from different forces on the same AC. So there's no way of getting around the 6/12 month wait.

However, since PSNI has its own selection, there is no way of them knowing you've even applied.

Evidence:

Someone on this forum was unsuccessful at IST Stage but got into Police Scotland shortly afterwards.

My friend was turned away from AC for IT Qualification but is doing SEARCH Day 1 next week.

I have started a Met application as they only ask if you have failed SEARCH within the past 6 months

Hope this helps:)

That is helpful thanks for that, would certainly hope to progress in this campaign but i'm not overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

Forces in England and Wales do the SEARCH Assessment Centre, Police Scotland have their own, as of course do PSNI. So if you fail PSNI selection, you don't have to wait any minimum time before applying on the mainland.

You do, I emailed police Scotland when I had problems with my ICT cert. It stands no matter why you were rejected, gotta wait the 12 months unfortunately. Unless you just don't tell them - MAY be able to slip through!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

You do, I emailed police Scotland when I had problems with my ICT cert. It stands no matter why you were rejected, gotta wait the 12 months unfortunately. Unless you just don't tell them - MAY be able to slip through!

I do understand that Police Scotland say you have to wait 12 months after being rejected from any force. However, I just can't see how they could enforce this outside of Scotland. Hypothetically, what if I'd been rejected from the NYPD, how would they know? Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sapphire101

I do understand that Police Scotland say you have to wait 12 months after being rejected from any force. However, I just can't see how they could enforce this outside of Scotland. Hypothetically, what if I'd been rejected from the NYPD, how would they know? Just my 2 cents.

True, maybe they expect people to be completely honest about it, just what I was told by them but it'd be pretty good if there was a loophole :)

• Advertisement

I have seen a few whispers of the next campaign being not too far away, just wondering where people heard about this?
    Could it be the start of more frequent recruitment drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I heard from a serving officer, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the start of more regular recruitment for the next couple of years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

Are these recruitment campaigns not stupidly expensive to run? I'd love to see them happen more regularly but I can't see the folks on the hill agreeing to it!

I'd imagine bringing in all the uk officers over here last year was more expensive, twaddel camps still ongoing, they need the resources. I'm under the impression there will be at least one more recruitment, then enough to maintain numbers (natural wastage retirement etc all brings operational numbers down)

Is it bad to have a small feeling of excitement for a reapplication for any future campaign due to the experience taken from this campaign mixed with the disappointment of not cutting the mustard this time round? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Hi everyone, Just found out I have passed with a low 60 so I will be fairly far down the merit list I am sure and don't have much chance for getting in this time around. But just wondering if anyone on here has thought about joining the royal military police and gaining experience through that to then enable them when they leave the military to then carry on in the civilian police. I recently attended the army trade fair and spoke to a Royal Military recruitment officer who told me most ex military police when they leave join the civilian police as they have been trained up and gained vast experience. Does anyone on here have any further information or thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

Gilz_2001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Just found out I have passed with a low 60 so I will be fairly far down the merit list I am sure and don't have much chance for getting in this time around. But just wondering if anyone on here has thought about joining the royal military police and gaining experience through that to then enable them when they leave the military to then carry on in the civilian police. I recently attended the army trade fair and spoke to a Royal Military recruitment officer who told me most ex military police when they leave join the civilian police as they have been trained up and gained vast experience. Does anyone on here have any further information or thoughts on this?

Do you mean within 60 to 70???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Given01 wrote: »

He would have, yep....well 60-69 to be precise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I had thought about it at one stage. Although I've left it too late now. That's my fault. Not in a position to leave Northern Ireland now.

It's a very popular job within the army. A lot of competition. A lot like the PSNI competition.

You need to score in the highest band of your "BARB" test to be accepted into RMP. Which is achievable. They only want the best and I'm sure you're up to it if you passed IST and AC. I believe it's an A you need. I think that's how they score it.

You'll love it if you get in. I know people who have been in it. And wouldn't want to do anything else.

In my opinion join the army's military police. Most scope to do a wide range of things and you might even get on a tour somewhere. That's just my opinion and I'm sure someone could make a case for RAF police but I know which one id pick. And you get promoted to rank of lance corporal as soon as you pass out. More money if that kind of thing floats your boat.

One last thing and it's good preparation if you do join RMP the come out and join PSNI. the rest of the army hate you. You'll make great mates within the corps but you won't be liked outside of that. Wouldn't bother me but might bother some....it's jealousy really.

Any other questions give me a shout.

Given01 wrote: »

As above B is 60-69 yes. Pass mark required is 60, I'm also in the B group, and wondering if it'll be good enough to progress this time around.

What are you thinking Given? :-)

.S. wrote: »
    As above B is 60-69 yes. Pass mark required is 60, I'm also in the B group, and wondering if it'll be good enough to progress this time around.

I am hoping it is. Speaking to a few existing officers and past officers who were part of the officer training and they said it might be enough.....could be a wait of 6-9months to get in. But hopefully have a good chance. I'm buzzing and staying positive

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Thanks @oztop1234, I am going ahead with the application process for the RMP at the moment as well, would rather get straight into the psni first but if all else fails I will push for the military. I take it we will not find out where we sit on the merit list so really can't judge how far down I am but I am a few points over 60 just so not overly optimistic as I am sure there will be double successful applicants on the merit list to spaces available. Do you think they will let you know if you are fairly low down the merit list and if its unlikely so we are not left hanging on too long??

Fair play and good luck! You'll love it!

I'm hoping they will at some stage. If they put us through the next five stages and see who they have left after that I think they might tell us where we are

As with you both, I'm trying to stay realistic but also seriously hoping I get in somehow, we might have a chance yet. I was on cloud 9 when I heard I passed, even with the relatively low score, plenty of people didn't. I'm not giving up yet! Gyms seeing me plenty these days and if they progress you to fitness in order of merit it means we get a bit more time, which wouldn't be the worst. Just wondering if Given had any thoughts on our chances :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Id be surprised if they released merit numbers. It's not really a significant indication of our chances anymore with new stages and abolition of 50/50.

Would love to know how many people are through at this stage but all things considered by the time people don't show at/fail pca, don't show at/fail medical/smt or vetting I'd say we're still in with a very good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

I think anyone in the B bracket is still in with a great shout. If the rumours are true and the next recruitment process is just round the corner then that is definitely earlier than expected and maybe down to fewer people passing the AC than expected.

I am speculating here but like to keep positive about these things!

Wheres highbury_lad when you need him! He always got the latest news from the high up relatives ? :pac:

Hopefully B's are still in with a shout! That's what I'm hearing! Fingers crossed!

Hopefully ! Dekkers had a good point, why put us through to the PSNI if they didn't need the numbers? Just haven't a clue how they are going to thin out that whole group!

For all of our sakes I hope so! I'm keeping preparing, you lot do the same, we might be GV buddies yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭charlie_six

I hear from a reliable source they are looking to recruit 700 over two years. Makes sense as this process is looking for around half that.

If worse comes to worst we will have a better idea next time round! At least I wont be as shell shocked going into the briefing excercise and shouldn't eff it up the next time! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

.S. wrote: »

Apologies mate I've just found out that they have changed it this year, when I went through that would have been an excellent score! But that's still very good if there doing it by percentages

Ta anyways Given, think the serving officers are best ones to harass for advise on here :-) if nothing else it's experience, hope we get a go at the PCA. Not giving up hope just yet anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Personally I would recommend RAFP as their is a bit wider scope from dogs, computer intelligence to tactical police wing. I was all set to join a few years ago but then had some life circumstances change - I wanted to be a dog handler.

From my experience of interacting with both RAFP and RMP and experience of the forces I would most certainly go RAF for many many reasons.

Advertisement