Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Don't know if this has been posted before but the scottish federation have released these videos which are pretty hard hitting. http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/british-ads-capture-often-brutal-horrors-police-work-156506#.UzNRLiU_dl4.twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Hi Wanadrum, I have had a look at the RAF police but you are contracted to serve 9 years with that where as with the army its not as lengthy. Ultimately I would like to end up in the PSNI but if I am unsuccessful I will push ahead with RMP (if I am successful at selection) as it looks equally rewarding and will give me great experience to when I decide to leave after 4/5 years I can then apply for the PSNI and hopefully stand in better stead to get in. Has anyone looked at joining the MET or Scottish police too? They are both open for applications and as they have a vastly greater force there is more of a chance to get in compared to the PSNI however once in you than then apply for transfer down the line. I know many people who have gone down this route as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted before but the scottish federation have released these videos which are pretty hard hitting. http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/british-ads-capture-often-brutal-horrors-police-work-156506#.UzNRLiU_dl4.twitter

Yeah, a friend posted those on Facebook the other day. I think they are really well out together, the personal details about the officers really hit home. People expect emergency services to walk into any situation without a second thought and forget that they are human beings! I thought the first one was the easiest to decide what to do (especially considering you have a wider range of 'accessories' here's in NI! The others really did make me sit wondering - what would I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

A friend of mine also posted on her fb, it's good to see realistic ads, see the people behind the uniform etc. And obv, gets you thinking!

Yeah first one would be easier to call if you had a sidearm although I still think you should try and reason with the guy first, second one I'd reach in to the ignition and turn the car off first then reassess. The last one I reckon is the hardest to call but if you already have the guy accused of indecent assaults details sent through the system you have to go and help your partner. Just my 2 cents worth and no idea if I'm right lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Yeah first one would be easier to call if you had a sidearm although I still think you should try and reason with the guy first, second one I'd reach in to the ignition and turn the car off first then reassess. The last one I reckon is the hardest to call but if you already have the guy accused of indecent assaults details sent through the system you have to go and help your partner. Just my 2 cents worth and no idea if I'm right lol.

Just re the second one, turning of the ignition wont be enough! Hot exhausts or brakes or even a second car coming head on into the scene would be enough to set that a blaze!

Need to weigh up your options pretty pronto, if you pull him out, need to think about his possible spinal injuries, if you keep him in you risk being engulfed ..

....tough decision aint it ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Just re the second one, turning of the ignition wont be enough! Hot exhausts or brakes or even a second car coming head on into the scene would be enough to set that a blaze!

Need to weigh up your options pretty pronto, if you pull him out, need to think about his possible spinal injuries, if you keep him in you risk being engulfed ..

....tough decision aint it ! :p

I would switch off the ignition, reassess and if I was still concerned about a fire I would start pulling him out.

wanadrum wrote: »
    I would switch off the ignition, reassess and if I was still concerned about a fire I would start pulling him out.

Yep its all about the possibilities and scene safety! Don't forget to put the handbrake on if you're ever in that situation too! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Just noticed Bob Law has closed his account! :(

Bit of a strange thing to do considering he passed :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

And Bob Law was commenting on other threads right up until roughly 7 o'clock.

So the white elephant in Tyrone has been shelved then! http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26850664

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

I heard that they are definitely recruiting again in may

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

Police interceptors.. Got to love it! Who's watching?!

I heard that they are definitely recruiting again in may

The only definite thing about that is that you are wrong....

Or maybe you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Or maybe you are wrong

Nope - Your wrong :)

Tim89 wrote: »

Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

Tim89 wrote: »

Think you 2 owe that man an apology in light of the Police Boards annoucement of a new campaign starting in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jb12345

boblaw88 wrote: »
    Think you 2 owe that man an apology in light of the Police Boards annoucement of a new campaign starting in May.

Where is this announcement? Can't find anything online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Policing board announced it on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭boblaw88

My post count is too low, but there are screen shots of it in the "2014 recruitment" thread.

Seems I wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Seems I wasn't

"Flexes ego"

Im only kiddng btw before this gets out of hand just a wee joke to get the time bye!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hey.. even I was wrong. I didn't think that another Campaign was necessary but if there has been an announcement, then that's proof enough for me. While I didn't directly contradict anyone, if anyone feels that my opinion - which was that a Campaign in May was highly unlikely - was a contradiction, then I have no problem apologising.

Seems I wasn't

I'm in the kitchen right now, baking a humble pie to say sorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Good to see a good number of boardies (hate that word but here we are) getting the call! Reckon quite a high percentage of candidates must be on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I got ac tutition and my tutor said about these boards. I was already on but he says to everyone he tutors so even if people don't find it on their own, they might hear about it elsewhere. It's definitely good, the amount of people on here, sharing experience/knowledge etc, I don't know what I'd do without the boards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

.S. wrote: »
    I got ac tutition and my tutor said about these boards. I was already on but he says to everyone he tutors so even if people don't find it on their own, they might hear about it elsewhere. It's definitely good, the amount of people on here, sharing experience/knowledge etc, I don't know what I'd do without the boards :-)

None of us would have a notion without this forum. Ok, we'd still be going through the process but you'd have no idea where ye stood in the grand scheme so it's great.

Does the old sanity good to have a break from it now and again too in fairness :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I take all the credit, glory, praise, thanks and gratitude I can get. :pac:

...because it's about the only place I get it!

Advertisement