Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Chief Con has a new Twitter account! Posts videos and stuff up on it !

https://twitter.com/ChiefConPSNI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Anyone else watch that and think "buzz words from online training"??

15664 views on the old PCA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

So is it true u do another pca on ur first day?? :(

Sgtmort wrote: »
    So is it true u do another pca on ur first day?? :(

Yeah you do, I heard you start on a Sunday. PCA Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DCT1796

Mop a top wrote: »
    Yeah you do, I heard you start on a Sunday. PCA Monday

Heard this is correct and the pca is before breakfast so you're shatttered after a long Sunday (up till the wee hours!!)

• Advertisement

I'd like it if they gave us our scores from the recruitment pca, just out of curiosity :) though on that I hope u just have to pass it and not beat it first time :/ *puts pork pie down*

I'd like it if they gave us our scores from the recruitment pca, just out of curiosity :) though on that I hope u just have to pass it and not beat it first time :/ *puts pork pie down*

Lol you have to do it a few times while at GV. I think it's 3 times in total and show a certain percentage improvement. Not sure how much the % is though. Suppose I'd better get the trainers on and set down the bag of crisps and chocolate lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

You find out what your pca time/force was when you start. We were told 'it looks good if you improve between week 1 and week 21'!

Part two of police under pressure is on for your viewing pleasure on the British Broadcasting Corporation's Channel Two now shortly - so it is.

Nah sure it's time yet by the looks of it, spot of the ever exciting tennis still on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

Nah sure it's time yet by the looks of it, spot of the ever exciting tennis still on. :rolleyes:

Part two of police under pressure is on for your viewing pleasure on the British Broadcasting Corporation's Channel Two now shortly - so it is.

Thought it was very interesting last night. The point was raised in the programme by one of the officers, you can have targets for selling clothes or shoes- but targets for reducing crime? Any thoughts? Surely such an environment would lead to deliberate reclassification of crimes in order to "massage" statistics...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Thought it was very interesting last night. The point was raised in the programme by one of the officers, you can have targets for selling clothes or shoes- but targets for reducing crime? Any thoughts? Surely such an environment would lead to deliberate reclassification of crimes in order to "massage" statistics...?

Not sure if police can strictly reduce petty crime directly. They can meet increased targets for arrests (fairly) but then the rest of the system becomes responsible for its own faults e.g revolving door prisons, reasons why bad stuff happens or the failure to rehabilitate etc

popolive wrote: »
    Not sure if police can strictly reduce petty crime directly. They can meet increased targets for arrests (fairly) but then the rest of the system becomes responsible for its own faults e.g revolving door prisons, reasons why bad stuff happens or the failure to rehabilitate etc

There were a number of persons responsible for the vast majority of the crimes (the same everywhere); I had the thought that it would be cheaper for the tax payer to send them away on holidays on go through the judicial process!

I don't believe the targets were for arrests but in actually reducing crime, I.e the target was x burglaries in one night but the reality was x + 5.

There were a number of persons responsible for the vast majority of the crimes (the same everywhere); I had the thought that it would be cheaper for the tax payer to send them away on holidays on go through the judicial process!

I don't believe the targets were for arrests but in actually reducing crime, I.e the target was x burglaries in one night but the reality was x + 5.

My experience as a civilian is cops react to crime, (as they obviously cant arrest anyone before they commit a crime), they don't prevent it unless they happen to be in the right place at the right time and even then a visible presence in one area probably just shunts crime into a less heavily police neighborhood. The solution to crime lies with the politicians, psychologists and economists. If criminals experience revolving door sentences then they will just laugh at you and laugh at all victims too in fact... I guess long term you can try to be a role model though for further generations but how realistic is it to expect people as old as yourself to change their way of life if that way of life is the absolutely reprehensible breaking into peoples' homes with full knowledge of making them feel less secure there? With this in mind all I could do is hope a serious criminal resists arrest so he can tear a ligament while engaging me and hence be out of action for a bit longer :D and not sue me ....LOL

Anyone read this?? Thought it was a clinker!!! It's like me chastising the kids lol!!!!

http://m.u.tv/News/PSNI-hit-back-over-halted-quarry-rave/2fa0a47f-87e1-44b2-a704-9e904370de1c

Mop a top wrote: »
    Anyone read this?? Thought it was a clinker!!! It's like me chastising the kids lol!!!!

http://m.u.tv/News/PSNI-hit-back-over-halted-quarry-rave/2fa0a47f-87e1-44b2-a704-9e904370de1c

LOL!!! I had a look at the PSNI Newry and Mourne page. This guy (no idea if it is the same guy) was writing about his family holiday and Peppa Pig. It sounds very down to Earth. I like it !

Haven't seen the page. This Utv clip was shared in my news feed. Had a laugh at it. Must have a nosy on it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I love the newry and mourne page, the updates are fab, the main guy who posts is very funny and engages with people very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Did anyone else watch royal marine commandos last night?

I think it's fair to say that that's EXACTLY what Garnerville will be like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Dekkers wrote: »

Haha!! In the PsNI we all sleep naked. No boxers or anything.......queue uproar!

Discipline wise you'd think it wouldn't be far off at the start.

I'm sure they'd all pass PCA no bother

I know what demonstration you can't wait to see anyway, Dekkers! :pac:

oztop1234 wrote: »
    Haha!! In the PsNI we all sleep naked. No boxers or anything.......queue uproar!

Discipline wise you'd think it wouldn't be far off at the start.

I'm sure they'd all pass PCA no bother

That no underwear rule freaked me out a bit tbh. Why? What possible benefit.....?

I know what demonstration you can't wait to see anyway, Dekkers! :pac:

Haha.....you got me indeed.....wardrobe organisation. :D

Haha.....you got me indeed.....wardrobe organisation. :D

We know each other too well ! :pac:

Totally unrelated "of course", the clip where all the recruits were watching the buck wash his skin flute was a bit weird to watch. Anyone know the story behind being nude in the bed?

We know each other too well ! :pac:

Totally unrelated "of course", the clip where all the recruits were watching the buck wash his skin flute was a bit weird to watch. Anyone know the story behind being nude in the bed?

Probably to establish a psychological element of control over the recruits- "stripping away" their civilian status so they can be built up in the ways of the RM (though cutting the hair is also part of that). Alternatively its to bring another layer of uniformity to them all. Unlikely that the lads in a patrol base in Afghan sleep nude anyway (though has anyone seen the naked roll mat fighting?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JMcClane

Found a great programme by chance on YouTube about the police in Northern Ireland.

It's called cops NI. It makes for interesting viewing and has just made me even more eager for the job.

Also known as Road Patrol NI to the veteran viewers! :D

http://youtu.be/aDxcnOrWF9o?t=40s

Holy hell what's the craic with those 2 threads popping up???

• Advertisement

Don't talk! Cudnt believe what they were saying!

Advertisement