Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Timetravel wrote: »
    That's good! You couldn't really be in a better position lol when you get that far do you know where abouts your at on the merit list or are you kept in the dark?

You were taking no chances with the IST hi, 60 is some score! lol I managed to get 57 and though I was doing well haha

Thats what ye can do with the pressure off lol I knew that would happen ffs :D

Yeah mate we're completely in dark (apart from boards of course). I've fingers crossed for next call and realistically, am in with a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Dekkers wrote: »
    Thats what ye can do with the pressure off lol I knew that would happen ffs :D

Yeah mate we're completely in dark (apart from boards of course). I've fingers crossed for next call and realistically, am in with a good shout.

Ha that's it. Crap that you don't know but I suppose on here is a good indicator! I'm sure you'll not have too long to wait! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

Dekkers wrote: »
    I am yeah. Scored 60 in IST this time. Awaiting call for 2013 atm so hopefully wont need to go to that AC ha.

Tough luck. Mustve been tough. Least youre back stronger this time :)

I am in the same position as you - 60 in this years IST, awaiting 2013 call.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JMcClane

Just watched a news report on UTV about budget cuts in the PSNI.

Does anyone think this would have any impact on current or future recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Here's the news story
    http://www.u.tv/News/Full-extent-of-PSNI-cuts-revealed/d967879b-de05-432a-881f-8e638b59f55e

Hard to know what will happen, the next drive in January could very well be axed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Not liking this part:
    The PSNI will have to scale back even more, starting from April next year - with possible savings of up to £55m and that doesn't include an estimated shortfall.

If that happens, the current level of neighbourhood policing would be unsustainable, the HET would be wound up, and there would be no recruitment of civilians or new officers.

In fact, there could be more job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I find it crazy that looking at the number of deaths on the roads, hate crimes, ongoing protests etc that they can even consider cutting the budget. How are these things meant to improve with less money, less resources and less officers? I don't envy George Hamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Interesting show on channel 4 there 24 hours in custody. Watching it on +1 now. A good insight into other aspects of the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Looks like some cuts have started..... Civilian contract roles only.

PSNI cuts 300 jobs and axes Historical Enquiries Team

The PSNI is axing 300 jobs due to Government budget cuts - which means the end of the Historical Enquiries Team.

The force has given notification to their contracted employment agency, Grafton, that they will not extend their contract beyond December 31.

The decision means all temporary workers employed under the contract will not have their positions renewed beyond that date.

Over 300 posts in a range of different disciplines are affected across the organisation, including the Historical Enquiries Team (HET).

The decision follows confirmation from the Department of Justice that the PSNI are now required to make a further 7% in year cut, equating to just over £50 million. These savings have to be made over a period of six months.

Deputy Chief Constable Alistair Finlay said: "Today’s news will have an impact on a large number of people. It’s not a pleasant situation to be in.

"While this is a difficult decision, it is a necessary one. We simply cannot engage the services of people that we cannot afford.

"With cuts of this magnitude, as a Police Service, our immediate obligations must be towards keeping people safe today. The loss of these posts by the end of the year will effectively mean the closure of HET.

"In the last number of weeks, we have made it clear that the current financial challenges would mean there would be change in how PSNI responds to the demands of the past and the pace at which we can service the demand.

"The PSNI understands the importance of dealing with past and that a huge deal of hurt and pain continues for the many people affected by our troubled history. If we are to achieve a safe, confident and peaceful society, dealing with the past is an issue that our society must address. However, achieving a solution lies well beyond the remit of policing.”

Mr Finlay added: “As a Police Service, we will continue to meet our legislative responsibilities with regards to the past. This includes investigations where there is new and compelling evidence; as well as our responsibilities in responding to the requirements of coronial inquests.”

“It is anticipated that we will form a much smaller Legacy Investigations Branch. In recent weeks we have met with the Policing Board to discuss this challenge and we will continue to work with them as we progress the issue.”

Mr Finlay concluded: “What is clear is that we cannot afford to do all that we currently do and some of what we do will take longer to achieve.”

See Belfast Telegraph website for this article - I can't post the link for some reason

I am getting nervous, can't let that news distract me during the AC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

The NCA are recruiting too folks if anyones that way inclined or has missed out on PSNI recently.
    http://www.ncacareers.com/

Next year's recruitment campaign is axed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Congratulations to those who graduated today. Only 5 females quite surprised at that.
    http://www.psni.police.uk/chief_constable_george_hamilton_congratulates_new_police_officers_10_10_14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Maybe an indication of numbers but if anyone follows police federation ni on twitter they have wrote "our treasurer had the honour and great priviledge today to attend the graduating and passing out parade of squad 1/14"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Flip me it's been 22 weeks already since the first squad went in, that's scary lol, congrats to those who passed out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭canuck_copper

monty46 wrote: »
    Maybe an indication of numbers but if anyone follows police federation ni on twitter they have wrote "our treasurer had the honour and great priviledge today to attend the graduating and passing out parade of squad 1/14"

Yeah i seen that...how many squads are in right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Yeah i seen that...how many squads are in right now?

5 as far as I know, 6th one in at the end oct/start nov if my counting is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

monty46 wrote: »

I am almost sure the 14 stands for the year 2014. I don't think there will be that many squads. 42 in my squad, I am intake 6. I am thinking there wil be around 9 intakes for the 1309 recuitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Well lads.
    Unfortunatly i didnt get through the latest campaign. However im starting to prepare for the next campaign and im after coming across this site <mod snip> who apparently provides practice tests and online for all the uk forces. They charge 79 pounds for 1 years access which is about 100 euros for me cause im from the south.
    Has anyone gone to these guys and would ye recommend them?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

I've been lurking here for a long long time, and since I've only got vetting and SMT to make their minds up, I thought I'd say hello.

So, hello all.

Love the GV list Shield, already started collecting bits and pieces :)

As all the training I've done to this point has told me that you have to believe that you will succeed to actually succeed, I'll be happy to meet some of you in GV in the near future.

Oh, and wannabegard, 20 quid gets you a standard UK Police test book that should cover all IST and basic stuff, (not all the same format, but close enough to get your mind in the right gear) including report writing etc... paying for a years subscription to an online course seems unnecessary, if not a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Why do some people instantly close their account here when they get into GV?
    'Thanks for everything, so long suckers!!'??

IF I were to get in then obviously time to post would be limited but to close your account immediately just seems rude to me.

Where would we be without the Shields, Testarossas or Notbrazils (and many more) of this world? Their knowledge and advice have helped most on here otherwise we'd be literally p!$$ing in the wind.

Please don't close your account; do your training, complete your probation and maybe come back someday and help some other newbie embarking on this madcap process :)

I see your point, there are a few peeps who I think about, wonder how they got on, and agree shield/testarossa et all are worth their weight in gold. Just imagine the new recruits have their reasons and we can make the most of the great advise we still do get on here :-)

Homer01 wrote: »
    Why do some people instantly close their account here when they get into GV?
    'Thanks for everything, so long suckers!!'??

IF I were to get in then obviously time to post would be limited but to close your account immediately just seems rude to me.

Where would we be without the Shields, Testarossas or Notbrazils (and many more) of this world? Their knowledge and advice have helped most on here otherwise we'd be literally p!$$ing in the wind.

Please don't close your account; do your training, complete your probation and maybe come back someday and help some other newbie embarking on this madcap process :)

Ta dude. I stayed on here because I think that anyone who is dedicated enough to a job to scour the Internet for help getting said job at least deserves a wee bitta help getting it. I know that when I was applying this site was the Mecca for info and support. As you said, it's more than a bit douchey to use it, for it to help you, and then blank it once you're in.

As long as you aren't giving out information that could compromise security, I see no reason for folks who are in to not give help to those who aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'll be going no where after I get that call. Feeling very mother hen to some on boards who either got in or who are trying again as well as those still on here. I think the not knowing is the worst part of applying so it's good to share experiences, a problem shared and all that lol!!

Lads whats the story with cuts to policing. I saw an article there that recruitment for the new year has been shelved and temp staff are being let go. Whats going on? Is there going to be recruitment in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Lads whats the story with cuts to policing. I saw an article there that recruitment for the new year has been shelved and temp staff are being let go. Whats going on? Is there going to be recruitment in January?

No fresh recruitment drive.

The current recruitment (at ac stage) and last years recruitment will be the only recruitment for the foreseeable. Next years planned recruitment won't happen. This years intakes will be lesser and slower than last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I read this a couple of weeks ago and it says a good bit on recruitment...

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Assembly-Business/Official-Report/Committee-Minutes-of-Evidence/Session-2014-2015/October-2014/PSNI-Budget-Police-Service-of-Northern-Ireland/

This took place though, prior the extra budget funding that was loaned so whether this still applies regarding the second campaign I dunno, but reading that could mean this second campaign, worse case scenario, could only generate 180 officers but again I'm not sure what to make out of it, and as I said this was prior to the extra budget loaned out and as far as I remember the DOJ will get an extra 30 mil, another dampner is the prison service is going through hell at the moment and facing a staffing crisis, so they could get a bit of money from the extra budget, rather than most of it going to to the PSNI as a few articles in the media had suggested.

One consolation is that I have heard from a good source that most of the extra funding loaned will apparently go straight to new officers, so I'm hoping what's reflected in that minutes of evidence on the ni assembly website there is altered now because that was prior this new funding. The job we're all dreaming of here has dramatically changed in such a short period of time, hopefully as always time will tell. As much as I want this job more than anything, I'm being pragmatic and practical about it, it's never guaranteed but it's becoming less so now, all anyone can do is try their hardest at the AC and take it from there.

What does the ac involve. Is is an interview based assessment or role play assessment? Its kinda funny actually because garda recruitment is starting to come back again. All the staff in templemore have been transferred back and there are going to be more intakes in 2015! I might not have to move up at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I kept mine open, but haven't had much time to read posts never mind write any.

If anyone wants help or advice pm me and I will do my best.

In my opinion it is well worth all of the time and effort to get in and out of hotel GV, I'm glad to say!

Advertisement