Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Any word on a new recruitment drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Think I heard somewhere about October.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Just out of interest which part of the recruitment process did you find the toughest? Itbwas definitely the PCA for me

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

Just out of interest which part of the recruitment process did you find the toughest? Itbwas definitely the PCA for me

I'm currently waiting on medical date but I would say that the toughest part of the process has been the uncertainty surrounding the campaign and the waiting around not knowing if it will go ahead or not. Apart from this I would say the assessment centre, I quite enjoyed the PCA if I'm honest, I know this would go against what a lot of peoples experiences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Definitely the PCA. It's not just on the day that's rough but because you have to put so much effort into preparing for it. I found it to be the most mentally challenging as well as physical. It was constantly on my mind and I felt sick just thinking about it, I was even anxious at all my training sessions because I has this knot in my stomach just thinking about the PCA. It's unbelievable the weight that has lifted since passing it!
    Now I'm just anxious I won't get in lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

The waiting and the disappointment at the end after all the hoops were jumped through :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I dreaded the AC the most and I felt stressed on the day but the PCA was probably equal or a very close second. I started training for it before recruitment on the 13090 campaign closed, I put in so much work and when I failed the first attempt it was heartbreaking. Glad I didn't repeat mistakes and nabbed it on the 14050 campaign (I could NOT have went to my PT and said I'd failed lol). However the waiting ain't fun either!

EDIT: I do know it'll all be worth it in the end though! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

For myself hands down the hardest part was the IST! The last part was tough and they don't give you anywhere near enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    For myself hands down the hardest part was the IST! The last part was tough and they don't give you anywhere near enough time.

Agree, that data card is hateful, I don't think it's actually possible to complete it in the time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

The data card was crazy I broke a PCA level sweat trying to finish it all on time! The pca was definitely worst for me as I hadn't done anything like it before and spent so long training for it I think! I am glad that its part of recruitment though because I'm imagining all that pressure to train on top of garnerville study etc. And that would be mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Does anyone think there will be another campaign this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Psni26 wrote: »
    Does anyone think there will be another campaign this year?

I do yeah nothing official but Ive heard rumours a new campaign will happen sometime in the fall, could be just that, rumours. I believe if one doesn't happen this year I would hazard a guess next year, early next year; maybe January time. With 1000 odd able to retire at any given moment they have to, no matter the financial situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

I really hope so!!

Are there many officers from the south of ireland in the PSNI, just wondering now...

Are there many officers from the south of ireland in the PSNI, just wondering now...

There's a fair few now yeah, I know there was a few folk on the boards here from the south who are now in, but even before then there was a number who joined yeah, way more than I would say there would be northerners in the guards lol.

Ya i finally got called for the second stage for the gards. gonna see what happens with that but im not gonna rule out trying for it again. Id say its a different ball game competly up there than it is down here...

Ya i finally got called for the second stage for the gards. gonna see what happens with that but im not gonna rule out trying for it again. Id say its a different ball game competly up there than it is down here...

Yeah I seen there was more movement down there, congrats mate, yeah I would say it would be a different game, that being said I think it's a shame there isn't more Gardai from the north, if at all, I believe they advertised up here around 07, you can google it, but the politicians up here made a hue and cry about it unfortunately and from what I learnt they haven't been back up, were as the PSNI would advertise down south, which it's a shame it isn't done with both sides. The only thing about the Garda that would put me off really, and I don't mean any offense by this, is the salary it's like 23k Euro starting and it takes 19 years to get to 45k Euro which is like 16500 Stirling to 31000 Stirling for 19 years with no allowances which is mind blowing, you can correct me if I'm wrong on that and apologies if I am, but here it's 19k plus around 3k danger money/environmental allowance and in seven years it goes to 37.5k plus environmental allowance, this type of job I know isn't all about the money but God help Gardai based in Dublin.

Ya i get what your saying....i hope to christ that if i do get it i dont get put in dublin. They will probably announce the next campaign for the gards around late 2016 and have the aptitude tests for stage 1 in 2017. Thats what happened last time anyway. be checking publicjobs.ie around that time. this site is a great source of info aswell.

Ya i get what your saying....i hope to christ that if i do get it i dont get put in dublin. They will probably announce the next campaign for the gards around late 2016 and have the aptitude tests for stage 1 in 2017. Thats what happened last time anyway. be checking publicjobs.ie around that time. this site is a great source of info aswell.

Yeah mate I wish you all the best, I believe a new campaign is rumoured to be starting up here, around the Autumn this year which isn't far away :)

Jays i hope it dosent happen while im gone....ill be in the states for a month!

• Advertisement

Jays i hope it dosent happen while im gone....ill be in the states for a month!

Keep an eye on boards, I'm sure you'll have Internet access while your away or get a relative to let you know if a new campaign opens. You can apply online so that will be fine from there too. It's not like IST dates are scheduled anytime soon after the closing date so chances are if it does happen while you're away, you'll be home in time for the IST :)

That so true but I intend on being highly intoxicated for the duration of my trip...hence it shall be difficult to apply, let aline study for the ist....

That so true but I intend on being highly intoxicated for the duration of my trip...hence it shall be difficult to apply, let aline study for the ist....

Lmfao intoxicated for a month! I can't do it for a weekend lol. Must be the old age catching up on me :D Might just be my opinion but can you really do much in the way of revising and studying for the IST?

Ah I wouldn't say so lad...what iv learnt from studying for the Garda tests is that Pratice makes perfect....I was really bad at aptitude tests but cause I'm starting to Pratice them now I think I am getting better..��

A few folk have been asking if I had advice on passing the IST. The only thing I could think of was to brush up on the mental mathematics lol. I struggled more on the data card cos my mental arithmetic is beyond crap :-/

Lookit don't worry about it for the moment....wait and see what happens no point pondering over it the the moment

Anyone seen the video doing the rounds of the "pregnant" woman having her arms twisted by PSNI in public order gear? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

I don't think I could air my full views here but *facepalm* is all I'll say

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Muddyjunior5

Anyone know if there will be any new recruitment campaigns soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

Apparently it's lookin like this autumn from what I have gathered on this and via other sources. Fingers crossed

Advertisement