Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Anyone who has applied, have you got an email confirming application yet?

Nope. Think they only acknowledge after they have reviewed it then a few weeks later it's the invite to IST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Homer01 wrote: »
    Nope. Think they only acknowledge after they have reviewed it then a few weeks later it's the invite to IST.

Thank you, think I have checked about ten times that I gave them the right email address.

I've been looking over my results from the last two AC's. If the trend continues I should definitely pass :)

With my luck I'll fail the IST! Time to do some 11 plus past papers lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

The only time I ever came out of the IST confident I had done well was the only time I failed it.

The IST takes no prisoners. All we can do is practice and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

Getting used to all these TLA's again lol

The CC of the PSNI announces 1509. We have to pass the IST, the AC and the PCA do be in with a hope of getting to GV.

I'm sure I've missed quite a few out and I know it gets a lot worse once you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Guys i think ill be taking a pass to it this time. The main reason is I dont know like ye know what the situation is up there security wise and i kind of nervous about my own personal safety as i am not a northerner. The second reason is I think i messed up my garda application and i dont really feel motivated enough to start straight away into another police application process. I need a break if is shows i a unsuccessful with the gards and focus on other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Guys i think ill be taking a pass to it this time. The main reason is I dont know like ye know what the situation is up there security wise and i kind of nervous about my own personal safety as i am not a northerner. The second reason is I think i messed up my garda application and i dont really feel motivated enough to start straight away into another police application process. I need a break if is shows i a unsuccessful with the gards and focus on other areas.

Totally understand what you're saying, fortunately I don't have those issues you do but why don't you apply anyway? I know you're feeling disheartened about the Garda application maybe not going your way but IF it doesn't and you haven't applied for PSNI you'll maybe kick yourself for not having applied. I seriously think you should apply for PSNI and if you're still feeling like it after the closing date or in the run up to IST you can always withdraw from the process. Give it a go and see how you get on.

Possibly message shield about your security concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

As has been said to you numerous times, there are LOADS of southerners in the PSNI. There are 3 other 'southerners' in my section alone ! Even 1 from Cork...unfortunately...ha

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Oh god... the dreaded IST. I am glad I am not having to do that again. Utterly relentless and just obliterates half the people that apply.....

Good luck!!

• Advertisement

Anyone seen the tweet from @SurryPolice? #BTTF2015 and folk think police don't have a sense of humour. Tbh I reckon it would be the only keeping you going in the job at times.

Saw this one on Ayrshire's page

PAST ARRIVES IN AYRSHIRE

About 0728 hours today, Wednesday 21st October 2015, police received reports of a suspicious vehicle causing concern in the car park of an Irvine supermarket.

Witnesses report the stainless steel DeLorean vehicle to have been damaged and two men to have been within the vehicle. One man is described as being around 17 years old, slim build with dark hair while the other is only described as being older with grey hair and wearing a white coat.

A spokesperson for Ayrshire Police Division commented "on arriving at the location the vehicle almost collided with two members of the public on hover boards. Luckily the hover board' collision avoidance system prevented any injuries. We are keen to speak with the two men seen within the vehicle."

#JustForFun #BackToTheFuture

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Mop a top wrote: »
    Anyone seen the tweet from @SurryPolice? #BTTF2015 and folk think police don't have a sense of humour. Tbh I reckon it would be the only keeping you going in the job at times.

oh boy do you need a sense of humour!

Anybody watching Cuffs on BBC 1?

It's a cop drama based in Brighton. One of the PC's is a newbie (and the CC's son).

I thing of note is they are wearing body cameras. Are these standard on the mainland?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

It's a cop drama based in Brighton. One of the PC's is a newbie (and the CC's son).

I thing of note is they are wearing body cameras. Are these standard on the mainland?
    Can't say I've seen it, and I'm not sure about the likes of police in England and Wales, however I know (specially trained) officers in psni who are permitted to wear body cameras in the likes of riots etc. Can be used as evidence to justify the use of force etc

It might be, not entirely sure but that's how they were prosecuting the guy who seriously assaulted a WPC in England, he was cuffed to the front and in the back of the car but he still got out and did some damage to her. Seen it ages ago on Facebook/YouTube. I'd have no problem wearing one, pity they need too but at least it's always there to back up the officer if there's been any allegations made.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

The CC's report to the NIPB mentions the procurement of 2500 body worn video could become more and more common on beat officers in the next few years

• Body Worn Video (BWV)

The Department of Finance and Personnel has approved the PSNI’s business case for the introduction of Body Worn Video (BWV). The procurement process has been initiated and the technology is scheduled to roll out in early 2016, with an estimated completion date of June 2017.

The project represents an investment of almost £3m over a five year period. This will allow for the procurement of around 2,500 cameras and also the supporting IT infrastructure that is necessary to facilitate the storage and movement of the associated digital technology.8

When the project is complete in June 2017, BWV will be standard kit for officers out on patrol. BWV provides a mechanism to reinforce accountability and build public confidence in how police deal with people, especially in the most contentious encounters. Evidence from a number of studies has indicated that BWV shapes behaviour. It is also anticipated that BWV will support domestic abuse investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

Not sure about other forces but they've been on trial in a few parts of the Met. Everyone is getting one next year. Then again everyone was supposed to be getting an iPad too...

Bad craic in Paris this evening. Makes you wonder wtf the world is coming to!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

Bad craic in Paris this evening. Makes you wonder wtf the world is coming to!

Absolutely terrible, how some people are able to commit such attacks really confuses me, what's going on in their heads? Friend of mine is just back from Paris at the start of the week, think she's in shock that something like this has happened 3/4 days after she has left the country!

• Advertisement

I hate to be pessimistic but I think this is only the start of it. I seriously think there'll be more attacks and they're growing every time. Sincerely hope I'm wrong though.

I couldn't agree more, it's horrible to think but unfortunately the danger and threats are all too real at the minute. When I last checked the news it was 30 confirmed dead, just seen there now that the number has risen to 40, thoughts are with all out in Paris!

Is it unrealistic to think that these "refugees" were behind it and are in the UK and other countries just waiting for their turn. Egypt a couple of weeks ago, Paris today, who's next? Sorry I'm getting the overthinking head on now. It's crazy what people do in the name of religion. Wondering now IF it was ISIS was this in response to the drone attack that apparently killed Jihadi John?

Just read they've killed 2 gunmen. Hopefully the death toll doesn't rise. 40 is 40 too many

Unfortunately the death toll did rise... and a lot more than I ever expected to hear about, the world is just way too cruel, things like this happening too often! Honestly I can also see it getting worse rather than better, lets hope we are totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blue3790

I honestly wonder how people do things like this. Like each one of those victims was probably someone's mummy, daughter/brother etc. I'm sure there are many broken hearts out there this evening :(

It's disgusting that some people can bring themselves to do such things! Just heartbreaking to think people can do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Is it unrealistic to think that these "refugees" were behind it and are in the UK and other countries just waiting for their turn. Egypt a couple of weeks ago, Paris today, who's next? Sorry I'm getting the overthinking head on now. It's crazy what people do in the name of religion. Wondering now IF it was ISIS was this in response to the drone attack that apparently killed Jihadi John?

Just read they've killed 2 gunmen. Hopefully the death toll doesn't rise. 40 is 40 too many

The refugees which have come from Syria have been fleeing from this sort of behaviour. The genuine refugees may have been infiltrated by terrorists. So not only have the refugees had to leave their homes due to oppressive fanatics, they'll probably have their new lives ruined by them also. It's so, so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

Anyone else have a wee grin on their face when police car drives past them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

Derob wrote: »
    Anyone else have a wee grin on their face when police car drives past them

would be lying if I said I didn't My GF keeps saying "theirs your friends"

Advertisement