Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

19087 wrote: »
    AFAIK, it needs to be completed in 35 mins at G'ville, carry on with your couch to 5k programme and you'll be there in no time :)

Thought the only pre requisite is completing the assault course three times and push pull... So what do you mean about the 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

TDA2 wrote: »
    Thought the only pre requisite is completing the assault course three times and push pull... So what do you mean about the 5k?

When you're at GV (as in during training), you're expected to be able to do 5k in under 35 mins

19087 wrote: »
    When you're at GV (as in during training), you're expected to be able to do 5k in under 35 mins

Are you sure? I know before you leave you have to pass the pca again. I have never ran 5k in my life. 1st mile I could manage just about and it won't be a 5 minute one. Is 5k in under 35min not a fast walk, as we'd walk at about 6.5k/hr going quickly.

Are you sure? I know before you leave you have to pass the pca again. I have never ran 5k in my life. 1st mile I could manage just about and it won't be a 5 minute one. Is 5k in under 35min not a fast walk, as we'd walk at about 6.5k/hr going quickly.

Well that is certainly what happened in the previous intakes which is why they advise you in the pre joining stuff to be able to do 5k (3 miles) before you arrive.

8.5kmph is more than a fast walk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

8.5kph is a fairly decent job. 10kmp is moving into running and 12kmp is a run.

• Advertisement

Bob Law wrote: »
    8.5kph is a fairly decent job. 10kmp is moving into running and 12kmp is a run.

Average walking speed for most people is a little over 5kmph, with 6.5 being a brisk walk. The 5k in 35 mins should be achievable for anyone even considering this career (just my opinion) as it's not a big challenge physically! And I say that as someone who def wouldn't consider themselves a fitness freak.

I know pleanty of cops that can't count to 5K never mind run it.

So you and I will be a doing a jog walk jog walk the whole way round... Maybe even a sprint at the last if we mis judge it! I'm strong but more comfort than speed!

Bob Law wrote: »
    I know pleanty of cops that can't count to 5K never mind run it.

Do you mean count to 5 or 5000...? Make no difference to some!

So you and I will be a doing a jog walk jog walk the whole way round... Maybe even a sprint at the last if we mis judge it! I'm strong but more comfort than speed!

Team Sofa!

I train with weights but I also do sprints / pushes / pulls and maintain a good level of fitness. I just don't run, it's mind numbingly boring to me.

However, if during G-ville they tell me I need to run a 5k I'll run my dense ass off.

• Advertisement

If they have the dogs up for training I'll beat the 5 minute mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

If they have the dogs up for training I'll beat the 5 minute mile.

I'd say Garnerville will be like Full Metal Jacket with a few Gunnery Sergeant Hartmans about the place to keep you in line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Did I see that PorkProduct has closed his account??

Re the 5k talk 35 mins is very doable. It's certainly not fast nor is it slow.

Try and get on a local C25k program :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I'd love to be as confident of passing the AC as some of you guys ! :cool:

Homer01 wrote: »
    Did I see that PorkProduct has closed his account??

Re the 5k talk 35 mins is very doable. It's certainly not fast nor is it slow.

Try and get on a local C25k program :)

I'm still struggling with week 1! Didn't realise I shouldn't walk sprint walk sprint and should walk jog walk jog, nor that my lace came undone which isn't good on a treadmill. So I'm going to have to work my way back up again.

I'm setting myself a target of pca and general fitness which will be about week 6 of C25k and will reassess myelf after the pca and will either C25k or 2.5k2C.

Porkie is gone!? NOOOO my beacon of hope in the bleakness of waiting.

lol

Did he actually do his AC?

Weird to suddenly close your account after posting this afternoon....

Will be back under a different guise no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Homer01 wrote: »
    lol

Did he actually do his AC?

Homer that is not very nice! Wonder why people just vanish tough? He might be back given some time.

wanadrum wrote: »
    Homer that is not very nice! Wonder why people just vanish tough? He might be back given some time.

Apologies, wasn't meant in any malice :(

He came across very negatively right from the start and I don't recall any mention of his own AC.

I honestly wish him well; I did enjoy his sense of humour :)

• Advertisement

So I guess no emails tonight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Anyone else watch Ross Kemp Extreme World tonight? Also how are you all getting on with the recruitment campaign?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I just watched it. Vetting forms in, was at the Pca familiarisation tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

Anyone else watch Ross Kemp Extreme World tonight? Also how are you all getting on with the recruitment campaign?:)

Cringeworthy! Did anyone else notice that the PSNI and Loyalists got subtitled yet somehow the Nationalists/Republicans managed to avoid that embarrassment? That program will cost NI more in damages to tourism than whatever figure he said the flag protests have cost. Oh and I'm still waiting for my Dear John letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Given01

A complete and utter embarrasment to the country, it was cringeworthy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

33 Y.O man just charged with David Blacks murder, hes due in court tomorrow! Hopefully a successful outcome ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

wanadrum wrote: »
    I just watched it. Vetting forms in, was at the Pca familiarisation tonight

What one were you?
    Trying to picture faces to the username haha!

biker701 wrote: »
    Cringeworthy! Did anyone else notice that the PSNI and Loyalists got subtitled yet somehow the Nationalists/Republicans managed to avoid that embarrassment? That program will cost NI more in damages to tourism than whatever figure he said the flag protests have cost. Oh and I'm still waiting for my Dear John letter!

I have a solution to Ni's problems

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25955350

He'd be cheaper than Haass but stormont would spend even longer negotiating on playlists! Don't know if it would work here as he'd need all terrain tyres and a flame retardant lacquer

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

I heard it on good authority that today all the emails are going out telling us we're all brilliant and that we've all passed the AC with flying colours.

Again, not trying to get anyones hopes up but that is what my source says.

(Disclaimer: My source is my heart)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

Dekkers wrote: »
    I heard it on good authority that today all the emails are going out telling us we're all brilliant and that we've all passed the AC with flying colours.

Again, not trying to get anyones hopes up but that is what my source says.

(Disclaimer: My source is my heart)

YOU LIED!!:(

Advertisement