Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserved Land and shooting rights.

Options
  • 24-11-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

This question comes from a thread I posted in the Farming and Forestry Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090014
    lefthooker wrote: »
    My lands are not covered by any gun club, only myself and three other people shoot them. If I go ahead with a preservation notice will all permissions be lost or will I still retain the right to grant permissions to those who already have them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

"Lands preserved" has always meant (to me) no shooting at all. In gun clubs it's used to stop members shooting land that is placed aside for various reasons, and in private permissions it's placed there by the land owner to stop shooting altogether.

If you place "lands Preserved" signs up then you are in effect stopping all shooting on those lands. So permissions would be void. To place such signs, and then allow shooting in any format would negate the meaning and intention of the signs.

I'm sure there are legal means that can be used but i'm not familiar with them. However i don't know or see how any "half measures" can be applied here.

Just my opinion so perhaps someone with better understanding of the legal constraints of such posting of signs might be better able to explain it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Perhaps signs saying something like "No shooting unless permitted by <your name>" would be more useful? It's a bit more clear what you mean then and there's less scope for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

lefthooker wrote: »
    This question comes from a thread I posted in the Farming and Forestry Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090014

I would not think so,you would be preserving for whom you wish to shoot it,ie you and whoever you may choose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Thanks for the replies lads. Thankfully we've never had problems with strangers turning up and shooting on our land. The reason for preservation is to get rid of the hunt once and for all. I'm only interested in vermin and pest control and a few clays, absolutely no interest in game shooting. The guys that have permission only turn up for a shot on 1st of Nov while one of the guys does a bit of pest control as he lives on one of the land blocks.

As long as I knew I could get rid of the hunt and the doggie men and maintain the shooting I'd be happy

You say in your opening post "my lands". Are they yours? As in you own them? Or is it lands you shoot? I ask because if you only have permission then you don't really have any right to stop others, that's the landowners responsibility. If they are your lands then you have every right.

If so "No Trespass" signs might be better suited. This means the people you give permission to can still enter and shoot, and anyone not "authorised" is subject to prosecution. If your objective is to simply stop one element that is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

I own the land Cass. My motivation is to prevent more damage, I'm not coming from a game preserve point of view.

I honestly don't think No Trespass signs would have any effect, I believe both horse and jockey to be illiterate. And ignorant.

Being honest and a little pessimistic "Lands Preserved" may not do much more, however instead of trying to notify people of preserved lands you can simply tell them any entry onto your land is forbidden.

It's a hard one for sure and some people simply ignore signs regardless of their message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jerrystevens

when you mention horse and jockey i take it that you have a problem with mounted trespass:confused: in which case if it is organised hunting on horseback simply go and see the head buck either master or huntsman and discuss the situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ICABS do have their uses.:D
    seeing that you want to keep the hunt off your property their handy advice i s to put a notice in your local paper along the lines of

Take notice that all my lands at [Insert address(es) of land] are private and preserved day and night. All forms of hunting are strictly prohibited. Trespassers will be prosecuted. Signed [Insert name(s) of landowner]

As well as post the land for good measure.
    They have a whole section on farmers and foxhunts .So a look in the enemy camp might be handy in this case.
    Find that the "farmer hunts" are the ones that cause the most problems.The organised ones know that they rely on the local landowners and farmers good will to be able to ride across lands so they make the effort to avoid conflict.At least around here in my part.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Bit of a development today;
    Went to "The Farm Shop" to pick up a few signs, man at the counter asks what kind of signs do I want. "I want to tell the hunt to **** off" says I. Cue a puzzled/concerned look on his face.

Turns out that he's on the committee of the hunt and also a fellow farmer. He took down in detail all the issues I have with the hunt and said he'd highlight my problem with the hunt at the next meeting and inform them that they're not permitted on my lands. I'll also put a preserved notice in the local paper.

• Advertisement

Good result.

Now all you can do is see if it works. Hope it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The signs are just signs, you can still do what you like in relation to granting permission as an owner. A sign on your gate/tree won't stop you from telling someone you trust that they can still shoot on your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Write to the hunt secretary and tell them they have no permission to cross your land.

Write to the hunt secretary and tell them they have no permission to cross your land.

I'm in the process of doing that too Cavan

Advertisement