Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base - Bowling in Maynooth?

Options
  • 24-11-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed from the motorway that there seems to be a place just outside Maynooth called "Base" that has a restaurant, bowling, dodgems and laser tag, I'm new to the area so not sure how long this has been there but I can't seem to find anything about it on the Internet.

I was wondering if its even still open? If so has it been there long and has anybody been?

If anybody has been would they be kind enough to let me know if there's enough there to keep a 13 year old entertained for a few hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.basecelbridge.ie/

That area is generally seen as Celbridge even with the number of businesses calling themselves Maynooth [Something] around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks MYOB!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ooh I had never heard of it and it looks awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Cool. Can bring the kids there :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 mcgov72

Has anyone been there yet? it looks great from the website, thinking of having my 4 year olds bday there in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I was there over the Christmas schools holidays the place was mental. (in a good way).

There's a massive kids play area. There's a coffee shop (with decent coffee), you can either sit in the play are or beside it.

They've got bowling, arcade games, pay as you play pool tables, laser tag etc.

We only used the kids play area which was fantastic by all accounts (especially the kids). The place beside Apple Green will really suffer. The coffee shop bit is at the side, so the kids can run over to you.

It's basically the Leisureplex mixed with a play centre. I thought it was well worth a visit. The following day Pirate Village in Liffey Valley was the destination, we won't be back to Pirate Village, will defo be back to Base though.

Whats the craic with Pirate village that bad??

thanks for the reply rang Base there, booked up for the next two weekends for kids parties but got the following weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We did the bowling a few weeks ago. There were some hiccups with the automated bowling machines, but I'm sure they'll be sorted by now. Plenty to do for kids of all ages, also the refreshments at the bar beside the bowling were very reasonably priced (apple juice, drinks €1.25 iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The bowling is great, finally something to do locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Pirates Village was just not as ..... Organised perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Was there today and the kids loved it so I'd say its our new place to go with them. Didn't try the diner but it looked OK so will try the food next time.

A negative though and its more for the owners is that signage to get to the place is pretty much non-existant which is pretty much par for the course for most Irish businesses I suppose but its very frustrating. There doesn't seem to be one sign on the Maynooth or Naas roads even when you get to within 1km of the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

CinSoots wrote: »
    A negative though and its more for the owners is that signage to get to the place is pretty much non-existant which is pretty much par for the course for most Irish businesses I suppose but its very frustrating. There doesn't seem to be one sign on the Maynooth or Naas roads even when you get to within 1km of the place!!

Signs need planning permission.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have not been yet but friends have said the kids play area was way too over crowded wehn they went down and they lost another friends birthday party booking.
    My little girl will be 3 next week and I have promised her that we can go.

The competition seems to have improved Playzone too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

CinSoots wrote: »
    Was there today and the kids loved it so I'd say its our new place to go with them. Didn't try the diner but it looked OK so will try the food next time.

As already said "signs need planning permission" even though most signs are erected without planning permission. Reputable places will apply for permission.

Thanks for the feedback, had a look over the fb page aswell there doing loads of competitions I better win one! heading this weekend anyway to check out the bowling and grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Was there last week, bowling was good, had lunch there also one day and that was surprisingly decent too!

Cons- No bar license just yet, no racks to choose a ball - only whatever is on your lane, and music was quite loud on the lanes, so wasn't great for conversion.

Very impressed overall though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Base is as good as any of the many 'climbing frame' type venues in Kildare .BUT it gets very dear , VERY quickly if you partake of the extra facilities .Bowling in particular has a very high minimum spend even if only two want to play (if I remember correctly) .It does have comfy sofas and free wifi which is all I require of these venues !I wouldnt be so quick to bury Playzone ,its a quality venue -good for kids parties if you dont fancy the clean up after!
    Id be wary of the capacity for blowing 100 euro in Base on a small group of kids(maybe even 2 or 3) without even realising in no time at all.The 'basic' climbing frame 'package' is grand but the rest is priced at annual treat /birthday party type rates .Would be significantly dearer than an amusement arcade Id reckon and THEY can be dear enough!

Ah to be honest that playzone is a bit of a kip, dont trust the place! Rang base earlier and they said they are doing bowling prices for €6 a game during the week which isnt too bad I dont think. anyway thanks for all the responses. this boards thing is pretty good dunno why I didnt use it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just seen on FB that Base have launched a One Direction party room - genius idea imo.

• Advertisement

They also introduced some new pricing which makes bowling a bit cheaper for a small group.
    Play Zone is fine when it is not crowded,I don't find the staff there very good and assessing risk and dealing with it eg big kids playing in the baby area or kids throwing the vtech walkers down the toddler slide but it is not the worse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Went bowling the other day, got a strike, then one of the pins miraculously stood back up again cause they're attached to strings so only got score of 9! Which is brutal tbh. I think there was some cost saving going on there but it's terrible and would much prefer to go up to Palmerstown for bowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Went bowling the other day, got a strike, then one of the pins miraculously stood back up again cause they're attached to strings so only got score of 9! Which is brutal tbh. I think there was some cost saving going on there but it's terrible and would much prefer to go up to Palmerstown for bowling.

That's kinda funny. Cheering followed by WTF? Mind you, if I was into the sport I'd be raging.

anybody done the lazer maze yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

Been to Base a few times and in general found it quite good for our two small kids. The overall facilities for all ages impressed me plus the catering/food is decent. However the last time we were there it was extremely crowded in the play area with some older kids causing havoc - tbh I've experienced this in Playzone especially with multiple parties being held.

Rang today and its only €10 during the week for two games of bowling thats pretty good in my opinion, and on the plus side there serving beer in a few weeks!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

mcgov72 wrote: »
    Rang today and its only €10 during the week for two games of bowling thats pretty good in my opinion, and on the plus side there serving beer in a few weeks!!!!

Great! where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

dobsdave wrote: »
    Great! where did you hear that?

He works there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

They said on FB that they've changed something to do with the food side of things, anyone know what they've done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Moonbeam wrote: »

The competition seems to have improved Playzone too:)

How so? Not only has Playzone got rid of their free-6th-visit loyalty card, they've increased the toddler price by a euro. And there were times when complimentary tea/coffee was not offered.
    The only reason I go back to Playzone is because of Tina the lovely staff who entertains the kids.

Went to Base on a miserable Sunday last week, mad packed but my two kids enjoyed the soft play. Brought them again midweek when it was quieter.
    I'd love to try out bowling some evening.

Advertisement