Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitcoin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Stamply wrote: »
    PayPal is not feasible for sending tiny payments.

Here is an easy way to accept Bitcoin using your email, but I haven't researched it and I am sure there are/will be soon many other easy ways...
    https://coinbase.com/merchants

No...

Nothing...

Just use PayPal micropayments.

Saves a lot of arsing about with bitcoin when you just want to send a euro or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

relaxed wrote: »
    Just use PayPal micropayments.

Saves a lot of arsing about with bitcoin when you just want to send a euro or two.

Replaces the arsing about with even more arsing about and transaction fees with PayPal... good strategy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Replaces the arsing about with even more arsing about and transaction fees with PayPal... good strategy!

A few cent in transaction fees or the potential to receive half the value you were expecting. Tough call.

Graham wrote: »
    A few cent in transaction fees or the potential to receive half the value you were expecting. Tough call.

Completely misses the point of the easy of transaction and the fact that what I am proposing isn't even feasible with PayPal...

You can't send money through PayPal as easy as you send an email...

You can't send money through PayPal as easy as you send an email...

Course you can, click send money, enter the amount of money and the persons email address and it lands in the next persons email account.

Click gift and there are no fees at all.

• Advertisement

Course you can, click send money, enter the amount of money and the persons email address and it lands in the next persons email account.

Click gift and there are no fees at all.

Really? In the browser? Fair enough...

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/products/digital-goods/

I wonder at what point I select the option "gift" and how apparent it is to the sender that there are no transaction fees when you send a gift.

What are the ramifications for PayPal, sender and receiver? If everyone selected "gift" every time, PayPal would be out of pocket, since there is a 5c + 5% PayPal charge on micropayments usually... that means if I want to send 20c as I might for a Busker PayPal gets a lot of that...

I wonder how difficult it is for Musicians to set this up, because I have never seen anyone do it... Is it a cultural barrier, in that musicians don't want to be seen "asking" for money... Asking people to buy their CDs is, in essence, as much begging as asking for a donation, since anyone can get their music free anyway... I buy a CD directly off an artist not in order to listen to it at home, I can get all of their music on Facebook, but as a show of appreciation to the artist. A tip in a restaurant is the same thing, or throwing cash into a buskers hat.

So if it is easy to set this up on PayPal then why does it not happen? Do musicians lack the tech savvy to apply this feature wholesale? Or is the problem that PayPal integration is still too full of friction for general adoption in this use case?

This is relevant to the BTC conversation because it speaks to those who are really investigating the utility of Bitcoin over and above existing payment solutions. Understanding the utility or lack there of, of Bitcoin is the key to understanding its long-term success or failure, as it is with all crypto-currencies.

Many believe that Bitcoin won't be large in the West, because the utility isn't there over and above existing infrastructure. But many people don't know that in developing countries telcoms companies are effectively banks and that a massive amount of direct commerce is passing through their systems. This is because more more people in India have mobile phones than bank accounts. Bitcoin could make that process even easier, particularly in the industry of remittances, killing off the likes of Western Union.

I prefer to think that Bitcoin will still be useful in the West due to the fact that paying in Bitcoin will be so frictionless. I think Bitcoin will probably be very much like email or facebook messaging in the future. I will be able to click a link under a YouTube video or anywhere else in any browser, which will open a pop-up for a browser application like simple email that I am already logged into on my machine, type in the amount and press send.

Maybe this is already possible on PayPal, but I haven't seen it. Forget selecting "gift", I want to just press "send" so all of my 20c worth of Bitcoin goes directly to the musician.

To test this theory I guess I have to start using PayPal and all of the Bitcoin payment clients.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/products/digital-goods/

I wonder at what point I select the option "gift" and how apparent it is to the sender that there are no transaction fees when you send a gift.

What are the ramifications for PayPal, sender and receiver? If everyone selected "gift" every time, PayPal would be out of pocket, since there is a 5c + 5% PayPal charge on micropayments usually... that means if I want to send 20c as I might for a Busker PayPal gets a lot of that...

I wonder how difficult it is for Musicians to set this up, because I have never seen anyone do it... Is it a cultural barrier, in that musicians don't want to be seen "asking" for money... Asking people to buy their CDs is, in essence, as much begging as asking for a donation, since anyone can get their music free anyway... I buy a CD directly off an artist not in order to listen to it at home, I can get all of their music on Facebook, but as a show of appreciation to the artist. A tip in a restaurant is the same thing, or throwing cash into a buskers hat.

So if it is easy to set this up on PayPal then why does it not happen? Do musicians lack the tech savvy to apply this feature wholesale? Or is the problem that PayPal integration is still too full of friction for general adoption in this use case?

This is relevant to the BTC conversation because it speaks to those who are really investigating the utility of Bitcoin over and above existing payment solutions. Understanding the utility or lack there of, of Bitcoin is the key to understanding its long-term success or failure, as it is with all crypto-currencies.

Many believe that Bitcoin won't be large in the West, because the utility isn't there over and above existing infrastructure. But many people don't know that in developing countries telcoms companies are effectively banks and that a massive amount of direct commerce is passing through their systems. This is because more more people in India have mobile phones than bank accounts. Bitcoin could make that process even easier, particularly in the industry of remittances, killing off the likes of Western Union.

I prefer to think that Bitcoin will still be useful in the West due to the fact that paying in Bitcoin will be so frictionless. I think Bitcoin will probably be very much like email or facebook messaging in the future. I will be able to click a link under a YouTube video or anywhere else in any browser, which will open a pop-up for a browser application like simple email that I am already logged into on my machine, type in the amount and press send.

Maybe this is already possible on PayPal, but I haven't seen it. Forget selecting "gift", I want to just press "send" so all of my 20c worth of Bitcoin goes directly to the musician.

To test this theory I guess I have to start using PayPal and all of the Bitcoin payment clients.

If I want to pay for a donedeal ad I just hit the PayPal icon and a new window opens, my email address is already filled in so I enter my paypal password and pay, no fuss at all.

You are forgetting the additional step of sourcing the bitcoin in the first place, and if you buy 20c worth of bitcoin it might only be worth 10c by the time the musician gets it.

If I want to pay for a donedeal ad I just hit the PayPal icon and a new window opens, my email address is already filled in so I enter my paypal password and pay, no fuss at all.

And there is a charge of 5c + 5%. That night seem small but plenty of people don't want ANY transaction fees or ANY third party.
    You are forgetting the additional step of sourcing the bitcoin in the first place

No I am not, its almost the same as putting credit into your PayPal account or paying with credit card...

A side point is that once there I can store my Bitcoin anywhere I like, on my own machine, in third party account or on paper in a safe. I don't have to keep them in one third party like PayPal.
    and if you buy 20c worth of bitcoin it might only be worth 10c by the time the musician gets it.

Ever so often you make a good point or add something substantial to the debate and then you ruin it with a comment like that.

As has been covered many times already:

1) current volatility does not mean future volatility.
    2) the current price, after the "collapse" is at least twice as high as the previous peak. If it is a bubble, then why are the panicked buyers who went in at €200 and want to cash in while they are still ahead? They are keeping their coin because they believe in the long-term utility.
    http://www.coindesk.com/price/#2012-12-23,2013-12-23,close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

My previous post wasn't directed at anyone in particular so my apologies to anyone that is upset because they have decided that particular hat fits them.

It was an unjustified generalisation, an attempt to shift the focus of the argument from its substance to the character of your opponents and a lame attempt at sarcasm. Saying "I'm sorry if you feel my insult fits you" is an insult presented as an apology. Just cut it out already, it's tiresome.
    Here's my position: I'm not anti Bitcoin (or any other crypto currency for that matter), I think Bitcoin MAY have a place in regular commerce at some point in the future.

This is the 'Entrepreneurial & Business Management' forum. In that context, some of the advice/comments in this thread are downright dangerous. People often come here looking to inform themselves on particular subjects directly relating to the running of their business. Would you really suggest to your Mother/Father/Sister/Brother/Friend that they convert a part of their trade into Bitcoins? What would you say to anyone now, that started accepting Bitcoin when this thread began. Given their Bitcoin balance would have halved in the last week? What would you say to anyone that can only pay their staff/suppliers/landlords half the amounts due this week?

Where did anyone here suggest blindly adopting bitcoins without regard for the risks?
    Bitcoin MAY currently have a place in some specific businesses or when specific objectives are in play but generally speaking Bitcoin are currently best left to people who's business/hobby is speculating.

Circular logic and doomed to fail. Unless some businesses take the risk, the base value of bitcoin cannot increase, the uptake cannot increase and the volatility cannot decrease. If only speculators buy bitcoins, it really will undergo a speculative bubble and then crash irrecoverably.

It is small businesses that are best suited to adopt bitcoin at this time. Large companies are often monolithic, unlikely to be able to justify risks to boards and shareholders, and deal in too much money to be able to make exchanges efficiently. Mtgox, Bitstamp etc simply aren't built to handle the volumes of money that a multinational would need to move around- enterprise exchange services don't have a market yet. Small businesses can make decisions quicker, work with lower volumes of money and can more easily justify some speculation on the side.

• Advertisement

So to summarise the last few points:

Bitcoin is great for all those 20c transactions I currently use Paypal for.

Small businesses should accept Bitcoin now while it has no stability because if they don't Bitcoin will never have stability.

Small businesses should accept Bitcoin now while it has no stability because if they don't Bitcoin will never have stability.

Bastardising our points isn't an argument...

Who's trying to argue?

Who's trying to argue?

Well, you're either arguing, discussing or trolling...

Well, you're either arguing, discussing or trolling...

I prefer to think of it as providing an alternate but realistic point of view to the fanatical pro-Bitcoin lobbyists that appear to have popped up out of nowhere and for no other purpose than convince us all that we must convert to Bitcoin NOW or risk being left as fossilised relics while the future Utopian global government-free commerce movement takes over.

From a personal perspective, had I been convinced by any of your points at the start of this thread and switched to using Bitcoin, I would have halved my income but saved 2% in bank/exchange/transfer fees. I stand by my current view for now.

However you want to dress it up, I am considerably better off for not jumping on the Bitcoin bubble express.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bitcoin has no value underpinning it, it's only true value currently is its anonymity, and it's use in the so called darkweb - Silkroad 2, The Marketplace etc.

It is accepted almost nowhere else of note as a means of payment. It's volatility is also very troublesome. If, and it's a big if, it became accepted as a medium of payment via a significant minority of online e-commerce it may survive and prosper, but given the difficulty in obtaining it, and governments doing their best to propagate that difficulty by barring financial institutions from allowing easy access to it that seems unlikely in the extreme.

As long as it remains difficult to obtain, and carries transaction fees above and beyond those of existing payment mechanisms*, while remaining on the wrong side of government, I really don't see it having any purpose, and that which it does have is mostly illegal!

*note this is not the specific trnx fee from bitcoin itself but the combined costs of converting your cash into bitcoin for payment or turning it back into cash after sale.

I prefer to think of it as providing an alternate but realistic point of view to the fanatical pro-Bitcoin lobbyists that appear to have popped up out of nowhere and for no other purpose than convince us all that we must convert to Bitcoin NOW or risk being left as fossilised relics while the future Utopian global government-free commerce movement takes over.

From a personal perspective, had I been convinced by any of your points at the start of this thread and switched to using Bitcoin, I would have halved my income but saved 2% in bank/exchange/transfer fees. I stand by my current view for now.

However you want to dress it up, I am considerably better off for not jumping on the Bitcoin bubble express.

Your posts are completely pointless since no Bitcoin proponent has pushed or attempted to convince anyone to buy Bitcoin now for short-term speculative gain.

Your posts are completely pointless since no Bitcoin proponent has pushed or attempted to convince anyone to buy Bitcoin now for short-term speculative gain.

Worse again, the Bitcoin pushers are attempting to convince businesses that Bitcoin should be considered seriously for legitimate business transactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman

I'm not sure if you intended to make a point?

You said:
    Unless some businesses take the risk, the base value of bitcoin cannot increase, the uptake cannot increase and the volatility cannot decrease.

I paraphrased:

My mistake appears to have been the word "small" as it looks like you are suggesting all businesses.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you intended to make a point?

You said:
    Unless some businesses take the risk, the base value of bitcoin cannot increase, the uptake cannot increase and the volatility cannot decrease.

I paraphrased:

My mistake appears to have been the word "small" as it looks like you are suggesting all businesses.

No, your mistake was the word "should".

Saying that bitcoin needs x, y or z to happen to be successful is not the same as saying that someone should do x, y or z.

I'll argue against misconceptions about bitcoin, explain the benefits as I see them, but that's as far as it goes.

That's a massive overreach. Who are these lobbyists? What's so mysterious about them?

No, your mistake was the word "should".

Are you saying businesses shouldn't take the risk in using Bitcoin then?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Bitcoin has no value underpinning it, it's only true value currently is its anonymity, and it's use in the so called darkweb - Silkroad 2, The Marketplace etc.

It is accepted almost nowhere else of note as a means of payment. It's volatility is also very troublesome. If, and it's a big if, it became accepted as a medium of payment via a significant minority of online e-commerce it may survive and prosper, but given the difficulty in obtaining it, and governments doing their best to propagate that difficulty by barring financial institutions from allowing easy access to it that seems unlikely in the extreme.

As long as it remains difficult to obtain, and carries transaction fees above and beyond those of existing payment mechanisms*, while remaining on the wrong side of government, I really don't see it having any purpose, and that which it does have is mostly illegal!

*note this is not the specific trnx fee from bitcoin itself but the combined costs of converting your cash into bitcoin for payment or turning it back into cash after sale.

When I first started hearing about bitcoins I thought similar- and maybe it was true then. But these days, the argument that BTC mostly appeals to people making illegal transactions doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. What happened to the price of BTC when Silk Road was closed? What about when Sheep Marketplace just vanished? Not a lot, is the answer.

What about when Baidu, a very large and very legitimate company, decided to stop accepting BTC? Crash.

All the evidence we have says that legit businesses are wielding far greater influence over the bitcoin economy than illegal ones, and despite your claim that BTC is accepted almost nowhere other than illegal websites, there are only a handful of such sites versus about 20,000 legit ones.
    Are you saying businesses shouldn't take the risk in using Bitcoin then?

No- I didn't say that either. I didn't say anything about what businesses should do. I said something about what the bitcoin economy needs. Are you really struggling with that distinction? Was I being generous by assuming you're misunderstanding deliberately?

Am I obliged to give business advice? Would it make it easier for you to support your broad, sweeping generalisations if I made some nice absolute, unqualified statements? What business owners need is balanced information so they can make their own calls on what works for their circumstances. They don't need to be told what to do, least of all by someone who does not run a business.

Am I obliged to give business advice? Would it make it easier for you to support your broad, sweeping generalisations if I made some nice absolute, unqualified statements? What business owners need is balanced information so they can make their own calls on what works for their circumstances. They don't need to be told what to do, least of all by someone who does not run a business.

Bizarre, in this forum, on this thread your opinion now appears to be you that have no opinion.

I am at a loss to understand your logic when on another very recent bitcoin thread your position is refreshingly straightforward.
    I've always had a fairly sceptical view of the future for bitcoin.

Thank you, me too.

Dogecoin is the future, Very rich, Much coin, Wow mining.........to the moon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Any ultimate winner is likely to come from one of these crytocurrencies

MAJOR:
    (big market, high security)

-BTC Bitcoin- - first, strongest, most accepted, most mined, high volume market, a true currency
    -LTC Litecoin- second only to BTC , faster than BTC, ASIC-hostile GPU SCRYPT mining.
    -NMC Namecoin- merged mined with BTC, used for alternative p2p domain system
    -PPC PPcoin- Proof Of Stake [very innovative, low energy]

MINOR:
    (established, but small)

-XPM PrimeCoin- mining PrimeCoin helps looking for prime numbers, instead of wasting energy. for now cpu-only.
    -NVC NovaCoin- scrypt hashing[like LTC], proof of stake [like PPC]
    -FTC FeatherCoin- LTC clone with 4x more coins. starting diff 0
    -TRC Terracoin- BTC clone, many diff algo updates, still abused.
    -DVC Devcoin- merged mined with BTC, 90% of generation goes to foundation, 10% to miners

CANDIDATES:
    (not stable yet, with some community support)

-MEC Megacoin- based on 8.2 code. 0 starting diff.
    -CGB CryptogenicBullion- 0.94% Premined NVC Clone
    -MNC Mincoin- LTC clone, started with no binaries and 25000% reward blocks. 0 starting diff
    -DGC DigitalCoin- LTC clone. 20 sec blocks. 0 starting diff + progresive reward.
    -ANC Anoncoin- a coin with I2P support
    -WDC Worldcoin- LTC clone. 15 sec blocks. 0 starting diff.
    -FRC Freicoin- 4.89% anual demurrage. for the first 3 years 80% block subsidy goes to foundation, 20% to miners.
    -IXC IxCoin- merged mined with BTC, BTC clone.
    -IFC infinitecoin- LTC clone with huge reward of 524288 and extreme fast reward drop.

THE PURGATORY:
    (many new clones)

-BTB BitBar- scarce, PoW + PoS[like PPC] scrypt. 0 starting diff + quick adjustment.
    -BQC BBQCoin- forgotten , now revived and active. faster version of LTC.
    -ZET Zetacoin- BTC clone, sha256.
    -GLD Goldcoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff, 2000% superblocks at start [3.2% instamine]
    -PXC PhenixCoin- LTC clone. 1'000'000 coins premine
    -PyBC Coin- An example coin to show new "Python Blockchain" Library capabilities.
    -YAC YACoin- Yet Another altCoin. NovaCoin fork, with modified scrypt hashing
    -FRK Franko- LTC clone. fast blocks. 0 starting diff. scarce.
    -BTE Bytecoin- the 1:1 bitcoin copy
    -CAP Bottlecaps- NVC clone, with a 0.25 diff start and quick 9 years inflation
    -NBL nibble- LTC clone. progresive starting reward.
    -FLO Florin coin- a coin with trasaction comments
    -GME Gamecoin- unfinished FTC clone , killed on launch. failed to revive once, and now finaly revived.
    -CNC CHNCoin- LTC clone, announced on chinese forum first.0 starting diff
    -HBN HoboNickels- Fast NVC clone. Extreme, over 100% ROI. 0 starting diff.
    -JKC JKC- LTC clone. 0 starting diff with superblocks, random superblocks.
    -FST Fastcoin- LTC clone. 12 sec blocks. 0 starting diff.
    -KGC krugercoin- LTC clone. 15 sec blocks. 0 starting diff.
    -QRK Quark- Sifcoin clone. CPU only.
    -BTG bitgem- NVC scarce clone. 0 starting diff
    -I0C I0coin- ixcoin without the premine. died 3 times. After very long time revived again.

-ZCC ZcCoin- Yacoin clone.
    -FEC FreeCoin- Yacoin clone.
    -MemoryCoin- SHA512 + modified scrypt coin with grands.
    -PHS Philosopherstone- NVC Clone with random blocks and in-blockchain messages.
    -AMC Americancoin- premined LTC clone with 6.5k-14k blocks giving zero reward
    -SPC supercoin- JunkCoin clone. 0 starting diff
    -doubloons- LTC clone. 0 starting diff
    -LKY LuckyCoin- superblocks at start, random superblocks [JunkCoin clone].
    -SPT Spots- smallchange clone, 0 starting diff.
    -MEM MEMEcoin- premined LTC clone. 10 sec blocks. 0 starting diff + superblocks.
    -EZC EzCoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff and superblocks
    -CMC CosmosCoin- NVC fork with no fees and transaction comments
    -DMD Diamond- Scarce NVC clone with random reward.
    -ARG Argentum- premined LTC clone
    -StableCoin- 0 starting diff, died and revived.
    -SIC Sifcoin- Uses new hashing, series of SHA-3 candidates, CPU only.
    -Ybc Ybcoin- YAC Clone.
    -GLX Galaxycoin- Fast NVC clone with constant reward for 8 years.
    -NUG Nuggets - premined LTC clone with random superblocks and constant base reward.
    -LBW Lebowskis- NVC clone.
    -CSC CasinoCoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff, superblocks at start.
    -EGC EagleCoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff.
    -ZTC ZenithCoin-Freicoin based -demurrage +Scrypt. 50% tax for developer.
    -ONC Onecoin- a coin that has total supply of 1, Scrypt-jane
    -ELP ElephantCoin- LTC Clone with random blocks and in-blockchain messages.0.4% premined.
    -GLC GlobalCoin- LTC clone
    -CDC Cloudcoin- 1000000 premined NVC clone with random blocks.
    -GDC Grand coin- JKC clone
    -PYC Paycoin - CosmosCoin clone.

-CENT Pennies- Hidden launch Yacoin clone.
    -NEC Neocoin- NVC-like, with messages. Multiple failed relaunches until finaly ok.
    -JPC Jupitercoin- Scarce LTC Clone. 0 starting difficulty, 0.27% premined.
    -CRM Crimecoin- A little (0.03%) premined LTC clone.
    -VLC ValueCoin- 0,75% premined LTC clone
    -GRW Growthcoin- Super quickly mined NVC clone, halving every 3 months + 100% RoI! Exponential inflation.
    -SYC Skycoin- premined LTC clone
    -SXC Sexcoin- JunkCoin clone, overtaken.
    -CL Copperlark- Uses new hashing, SHA-3. CPU only. Massively premined
    -RYC RoyalCoin- starting superblocks LTC clone
    -DNC Dragoncoin- smallchange clone, 0 starting diff.
    -Emerald- LTC clone. progresive starting reward. scarce.
    -NAN NanoTokens- premined LTC clone
    -MST MasterCoin- premined LTC clone
    -USC UScoin- premined LTC clone
    -FEC FerretCoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff.
    -Noirbits- LTC clone
    -GIL- premined LTC clone with random reward.
    -CDC Cloudcoin- 1000000 premined NVC clone with random blocks.
    -RCH RichCoin- premined LTC clone
    -XNC XenCoin- premined LTC clone
    -REC RealCoin- premined LTC clone
    -ALF Alphacoin- LTC clone with 1000000 premined and starting superblocks.
    -RED Redcoin- 1000000 premine, random reward, transaction messages.
    -One last Coin- premined LTC clone
    -ORB Orbitcoin- The most(66%) premined coin since MMMcoin . 0 starting diff.
    -Quantumcoin- dead and relaunched clone

DEAD / DYING :

-TDC TradeCoin- 100% premine LTC clone experiment. Dying.
    -NUC NuCoin- premined LTC clone. officially dead.
    -6CN 6coin- LTC clone. Never really picked up.
    -PWC Powercoin-] LTC clone. 30 sec blocks. killed by 51%
    -SRC sunrisecoin- LTC clone. 0 starting diff. Dying because of no prime node from the start.
    -Icecoin- DoA, relaunched by someone else and dead again..
    -HYC Hypercoin-LTC clone + premine. dying of extremely low hashrate
    -ELACoin- progtresive inlfation. tripple-failed launch - DOA
    -LQC Liquidcoin made to be very fast at constant difficulty, dead [pool closed, exchange closed]
    -SC Solidcoin - dying (10-20% fee), designed to improove IxCoin, hard to be neutral on this one, 1.0 was a premine scam, 2.0 says BTC is pyramid scheme.
    -GG Geist Geld experiment on BTC algorithm, how fast can it go? just for sience.
    -TBX Tenebrix interesting idea of cpu-friendly mining with scrypt, but premined with 7.7milion coins
    -FBX Fairbrix- Tenebrix without the premine, bad launch, alive but little support.
    -CLC Coiledcoin- some nice ideas, but killed in 51% attack
    -RUC Rucoin- copy of bitcoin, only difference is that it was developed in russian not english. Dead, than reborn much different, not confirmed if it is the same blockchain, both scrypt[like LTC] and sha256d , nice client !warning! not opensource ! dying again https://www.rucoin.org/
    -TimeKoin - PHP webbased coin, alive but not used or traded. http://timekoin.org/
    -Beertokens-abitious [impossible?] try to stabilize price against commodity.
    -MMM MMMcoin - Dead coin by notorious scamer SPMavrodi, named "yes we can" "my mozem mnogoye" 30s between blocks, retarget every 1440 blocks. 10T premined and 0.01 reward, fees "shredder" feature, 51% protection. Abandoned by developers

NOT BTC ALTERNATIVE / NEVER FULLY LAUNCHED:
    (do not have bitcoin characteristics or never active )
    Ii
    -JPU J-Coin- YAC clone? no source - not a true crypto!
    -EMU Emunie- Not launched yet, closed source beta only. May be a big thing - coin based on trust, not hashpower. Yet unknown if will be decentralised and opensource or ripple-like.
    -MSC mastercoin- Not launchet yet, but you can buy them already. coins created by buying them with bitcoins. operates on a bitcoin blockchain.
    eCash historical try for digital curency by David Chaum, operational but died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiCash
    DigiCash was the company that made eCash . Possibly where Bitcoin came from.
    Ripples XRP- , no mining - all coins available at start 80% foundation, and 20% develeopers. centralized, not opensource. not designed to be a currency, but an IOU exchange. Very innovative and usefull, but "not an altcoin"
    Amazon Coin - centralized private scrip launched by Amazon and pegged to USD, not cryptographic at all, just a name.
    WEEDS never realy active and now dead
    Groupcoin - still alive but never realy active
    Opencoin - opensource version of digicash, opencoin.org , not launched yet
    RealPay 100% coins at start, centralized, never realy launched ,site is dead
    Qubic coins are produced at the rate determined by quorum of miners, not set by developers. Never launched.
    Swiftcoin company operated, centralized and pegged, not opensource http://www.firstnationalbnak.com/faq
    SMC smallchange functioning blockchain, but made just for research. might be a coin if reset.
    -barcoin-functioning blockchain, but made just for k

pedronomix wrote: »
    snip

No mention for Dogecoin?

Inquitus wrote: »
    No mention for Dogecoin?

No, you had that base covered and I did not wish to awaken the angst of the bitcoin police who patrol on here!

Bizarre, in this forum, on this thread your opinion now appears to be you that have no opinion.

I don't have an opinion on whether businesses generally should adopt bitcoin. That's not the same thing as not having an opinion. I don't think it's bizarre to be reluctant to make sweeping statements. I also don't think you find it bizarre. I think you find it annoying because you'd like to reframe my answers to suit the narrative you want to push and I'm not giving you the goods.
    I am at a loss to understand your logic when on another very recent bitcoin thread your position is refreshingly straightforward.

Help me out, what thread and which opinion?
    Thank you, me too.

Implying that your opposition are shills and then failing to back it up is not scepticism.

• Advertisement

This may be a rather naive question, are there any actual businesses in Ireland that accept Bitcoin payments for goods or services?

Advertisement