Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP E1000 Smyths

Options
  • 24-11-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get my eight year old a handheld games console for Christmas. Smyths have the PSP E1000 for €90. I know it's probably going out of production shortly (if it hasn't already), but for a decent gaming experience for this age group, I reckon this could be a good bargain? For context, he has a DS (original), which he rarely uses, he occasionally plays Skylanders on the Wii and he's a bit of a Minecraft fiend on the iPad.

Is this a bad idea?
    What should I go for?
    Something that won't cost the earth (upfront or ongoing), but which offers a decent experience?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You're right that the PSP is now an outdated model. It is the predecessor of the PS Vita. However the advantage here is that most of the software should go for a bit cheaper, in particular the UMD disks since people now know they won't be any good on the newer hardware.

The PSP E1000 was released as the "budget" model at the end of the PSP's lifecycle, and as a "budget" console, it's missing Wi-Fi, so you can only download games via a cable, it had only one speaker, no support for stereo and it also has no video out support. Personally, the no wi-fi would be a deal breaker for me and I'd look for one of the previous models but this is up to you.

To be honest, I'd expect the PSP's to drop further in price, in particular, check next Friday (Black Friday) where Gamestop are notorious for their console based bargains and you'll probably pick up a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Jovem wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get my eight year old a handheld games console for Christmas. Smyths have the PSP E1000 for €90. I know it's probably going out of production shortly (if it hasn't already), but for a decent gaming experience for this age group, I reckon this could be a good bargain? For context, he has a DS (original), which he rarely uses, he occasionally plays Skylanders on the Wii and he's a bit of a Minecraft fiend on the iPad.

Is this a bad idea?
    What should I go for?
    Something that won't cost the earth (upfront or ongoing), but which offers a decent experience?

Appreciate any advice.

Maybe a 2nd hand vita or 3ds for not very much more money and still current technology.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jovem wrote: »
    Hi,

Is this a bad idea?
    What should I go for?

Appreciate any advice.

My son is selling his PSP in my adverts account at the moment, the link is in my signature. Works perfectly, charger, and selection of games with it.

Advertisement