Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipad 3 still worth buying?

• 24-11-2013 8:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was thinking of getting myself my first tablet but don't really have the money to be dropping almost €500 on the new ipad air.
    I was looking on eBay and saw some pretty decent ipad 3's for obviously a lot less.
    My question then is the ipad suitable for someone just buying their first tablet and only using for browsing and watching movies and the likes? Maybe streaming sky go or Rte player as well.
    Is the tech in the 3 that far behind already?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the iPad 3 was a big mistake, it was underpowered at launch, couldn't power that retina screen. the 4 came out 6 months later to fix the problem.

iPad 3 owner here by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I just upgraded from a 3 to an Air.

The 3 did me fine for almost two years had no problems with it.
    Speed wise I don't notice much difference with the Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i have a 3. ill hopefully upgrade to an air sometime in the future. im in no rush. It serves me exactly for what i need, ie reading stuff. apart from the screen, watching videos (air video), youtube, browsing, i even run xbmc (jailbroken) and it does this fine.

actually, it does exactly what i need it to, and has no problems doing it.

it does need a reboot now and then, but otherwise im pretty happy with it. on top of things, it even has warranty until feb 14, so ive got no worries with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iPad 3 is basically an iPad 2 with a Retina display, thicker, heavier, hotter enclosure and slightly worse performance. For the sake of 4x pixels, I don't think it's worth it. Either save for the Air, get a Mini or an iPad 2 for even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

ipad 3s can be bought for around 300 euros nowadays. i think thats a good price for it, as an air is abou 489.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Casey78 wrote: »
    My question then is the ipad suitable for someone just buying their first tablet and only using for browsing and watching movies and the likes? Maybe streaming sky go or Rte player as well.
    Is the tech in the 3 that far behind already?
    Thanks.
    I use my iP3 for pretty much exactly that, and have no probs at all. Yes, it could be faster but tech can always be faster. (And I always look for excuses to upgrade...)

Unless people report that Sky Go or FilmOn stream at a better quality on a newer iPad, I'm sticking with mine for a while longer.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy a iPad 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks for the advice.
    I found an ipad 4 on ebay from America for €320 inc postage and customs/vat included because it's going via Global Postage Programme.
    It's seems in good condition.

Haven't bought it yet so what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Not bad, but for a bit more you could get a new iPad mini with retina display. The oldest iPad anyone should get now is the 4.

makoten wrote: »
    Not bad, but for a bit more you could get a new iPad mini with retina display. The oldest iPad anyone should get now is the 4.

And for a bit more than that I could get myself a Ipad Air :)
    I see where this is going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.
    I found an ipad 4 on ebay from America for €320 inc postage and customs/vat included because it's going via Global Postage Programme.
    It's seems in good condition.

Haven't bought it yet so what do you think?
    You could do worse than that. A new mini would be another €80, but it would have that smaller screen which might not be ideal for watching video etc at home.

Is that for the 3 or 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but you guys reckon the 4 is still decent? I'm looking at getting one for my mother just for facebook, browsing etc. She has a laptop but all she uses it for is web browsing and Facebook. Was thinking of getting her an iPad and think the Air would be wasted on her. The mini would be too small as her eyesight isn't the best.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds good thanks.
    Would prefer to buy off Apple alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

the ipad 3 was my second tablet its ficking amazing compared to a crappy android tablet i would recommend as a first tablet nd if u do get it get the game clash of clans

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but you guys reckon the 4 is still decent? I'm looking at getting one for my mother just for facebook, browsing etc. She has a laptop but all she uses it for is web browsing and Facebook. Was thinking of getting her an iPad and think the Air would be wasted on her. The mini would be too small as her eyesight isn't the best.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    The only drawback with the 4 I can think of is that the iPad Air is the first iPad to lose some weight.

Previously, you couldn't really hold an iPad for a long time like you might a magazine or a paperback - I believe the Air is 33% lighter. That said, rested on a cushion/pillow/armrest and it doesn't matter how heavy it is.

Just something to be aware of.

dades whats an administrator and how did you become one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I sold my iPad 3 as I felt that iOS 7 had crippled it a bit. Wasn't happy with the sluggish animations and the whole OS felt bogged down too often. Very happy with my iPad Mini currently apart from a slight issue with the colour saturation. The size is better for me as when I want to be productive I have my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini is so much better for commuting and taking around with you. Never really used my iPad 3 that much.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I sold my iPad 3 as I felt that iOS 7 had crippled it a bit. Wasn't happy with the sluggish animations and the whole OS felt bogged down too often. Very happy with my iPad Mini currently apart from a slight issue with the colour saturation. The size is better for me as when I want to be productive I have my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini is so much better for commuting and taking around with you. Never really used my iPad 3 that much.

Do you find it big enough for movies etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Do you find it big enough for movies etc?

Watched both the latest Top Gear special & The Heat on the train yesterday and they were fine but obviously not as good as the bigger iPad.

Dades wrote: »
    The only drawback with the 4 I can think of is that the iPad Air is the first iPad to lose some weight.

Previously, you couldn't really hold an iPad for a long time like you might a magazine or a paperback - I believe the Air is 33% lighter. That said, rested on a cushion/pillow/armrest and it doesn't matter how heavy it is.

Just something to be aware of.

Can't see it being an issue, she would only be using it while sitting down watching TV etc. plus not for long periods really. Thanks for the advice though.

Shabaz50 wrote: »
    dades whats an administrator and how did you become one?
    I guess administrators are moderators for the more general workings of the site, rather than individual forums/catagories. Any issues that get escalated up the chain come to us, or the folks in Boards HQ. Technically, in Apple Devices I'm just a poster!

(You become one by lifting a container of burning coals with your bare arms and catching a mosquito in a pair of chopsticks.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys, another piggyback.. i'm travelling to the US next week and wondering if it would be worth picking up an ipad in bestbuy or somewhere like that.... if i get a US to Euro plug adapter i'm assuming there would be no issues with charging?

hi guys, another piggyback.. i'm travelling to the US next week and wondering if it would be worth picking up an ipad in bestbuy or somewhere like that.... if i get a US to Euro plug adapter i'm assuming there would be no issues with charging?

As far as I know there would be no issue plus they are quite a bit cheaper with the exchange rate.

You'd also be liable to Irish customs duty on it if it were to be *discovered* at customs.

Dades wrote: »
    You'd also be liable to Irish customs duty on it if it were to be *discovered* at customs.

I had 2 friends recently back from New York who brought home loads of stuff and had nothing said to them, its the luck of the draw I think. Worth the risk IMO.

I had 2 friends recently back from New York who brought home loads of stuff and had nothing said to them, its the luck of the draw I think. Worth the risk IMO.

I've ordered packages from Germany might I have to pay duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Shabaz50 wrote: »
    I've ordered packages from Germany might I have to pay duty?

germany is within the EU - as long as its shipped from within the EU you should not expect to pay any duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

369 euros for the refurb 4 is a great deal in my opinion. Up to a few months ago the refurb 3 was 389. I have bought plenty of refurb 3 for people who, use for general surfing, video, FaceTime to and they are delighted. Some people this year I got them to pay the extra 20' to go for the 4, futureproofing with lightning cable etc. 369 ve original price of 509 is a nice discount. I still think the 3 at 349 is good value for normal users

Advertisement