Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis to Dublin - Direct Bus

• 24-11-2013 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

My Dad mentioned that he heard on the radio that there would be a route opening from Ennis to Dublin via direct bus, but I can't find it online.

Don't suppose anyone here has heard any mention of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, its Dublin Coach (the green buses)
    €15 via Limerick.

Talking about launching mid-December.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Here you go

http://www.clare.fm/news/50-new-jobs-ennis
    50 new jobs have been announced for Ennis with the establishment of a new commuter and tourist bus service.

The Dublin Coach Company is to commence regular bus journeys from Ennis to Dublin in an extension of it's Limerick services, as well as tourist routes around Clare's popular attractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Thanks a lot lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Well Ennis isn't on the journey planner but Limerick to Dublin is 2hrs 45mins and €10 one way. This has to be bad news for Irish 'we make our prices up as we go along' rail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

This is great news and i'm looking forward to them starting from Ennis. I have caught their bus from Ardnacrusha a few times to go into Dublin and the service (& price) is great. I hope they are up & running during Dec...i have a flight that lands in Dub in new years day and would be great to be able to get the bus to ennis, rather than having to go to Galway and then wait & change for the Ennis bus like i normally do when coming/going to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My girlfriend lives in Dublin so this'll save me a bit of time and a lot of money (compared with Irish rail) on my weekend commute. Hope the times suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

thread about the limerick service over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470595

great news. i usually drive to UL and get Dublin bus from there, this will save me the hassle and petrol. temple gate is a 30 second walk from my office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

A return to Dublin for €30, I get a student with Iris Rail return for €33, not much of a difference for me anyway unfortunately.

It only gives a student fare for Ennis to Limerick, is that return and why no Ennis to Dublin student fare does anyone know?

Edit:

I fired off an email in regards to their student fares on the timetable, especially the absence of a Ennis to Dublin student fare and the weird Ennis to Limerick fare for students cause the 10 and €20 figures are more expensive than standard.

Hopefully they'll clear it up, I'll post any response I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Anyine know where the pick up / drop off point will be?

Also it says down the bottom 'no pick up at ennis at these times for set down in limerick'

I presume that means you just can't catch the bus from Ennis to limerick on those services? At tirst i thought it meant they weren't picking up in Ennis at all at those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

mel.b wrote: »
    Anyine know where the pick up / drop off point will be?

Also it says down the bottom 'no pick up at ennis at these times for set down in limerick'

I presume that means you just can't catch the bus from Ennis to limerick on those services? At tirst i thought it meant they weren't picking up in Ennis at all at those times.

Guess they are avoiding having to go into Arthur's Quay at times of high traffic. There is a coach park now in the car park at the back of Dunnes Multi Story as you walk up to the Credit Union. There is a fancy covered bus stop located further up at the back of the Museum, so guess the pick up point will be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Balagan wrote: »
    Guess they are avoiding having to go into Arthur's Quay at times of high traffic. There is a coach park now in the car park at the back of Dunnes Multi Story as you walk up to the Credit Union. There is a fancy covered bus stop located further up at the back of the Museum, so guess the pick up point will be there.

I think they are still going via Arthur's quay, just not dropping off any ennis passengers there. Can you get on at Bunratty and get off at Arthur's quay?

Herrick wrote: »
    A return to Dublin for €30, I get a student with Iris Rail return for €33, not much of a difference for me anyway unfortunately.
    In fairness though most of the Ennis-Dublin rail routes are change at Limerick, Limerick Junction (sometimes up to a half hour wait) and sometimes you don't even get a seat not to mention the journey time can be over three and a half hours. Then you have to queue to buy a ticket for a packed LUAS into the city center. Seems like a big difference to me.

Reply to my email,
    Good Morning,

The Ennis – Limerick student fare will cost you 20e for a weekly pass that has 10 journeys on it. Valid for one week only.
    At present we do not have student fares from Ennis – Dublin. I will send your request into the Management team today.
    Thanks for your comments. I hope this helps you out. If you have any other queries, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards and Thanks

Cori Hyland
    Dublin Coach
    Tel: 01 4659972
    Email: cori@dublincoach.ie

MyKeyG wrote: »
    In fairness though most of the Ennis-Dublin rail routes are change at Limerick, Limerick Junction (sometimes up to a half hour wait) and sometimes you don't even get a seat not to mention the journey time can be over three and a half hours. Then you have to queue to buy a ticket for a packed LUAS into the city center. Seems like a big difference to me.

To be fair I have always found their trains to arrive on time on any journey I've been on and walking out of one train and into another doesn't bother me. As for journey time you can't guarantee a bus journey will be any shorter (in all my time on the train it's never been over three hours either) with traffic. Queuing for a Luas ticket is easily solved by having a Leap card and scanning on and off rather than buying from a ticket machine. Besides unless it's evening/early morning I find the Luas from Heuston not too bad, evenings and morning every Luas is packed, not just the one to and from the station.

I prefer trains to buses in general as I find buses a little restrictive. But I had thought if there was a bigger price difference I could handle the bus instead to save the €'s. Hopefully they add a decent student price Ennis to Dublin in future.

May seem a big difference to you but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.

If I want to go from Ennis to Dublin and back this weekend by train, it'd cost me €61.
    Train is great it you're a student, if you have a commuter ticket, if you're elderly and get free travel, or if you book well in advance.
    Otherwise its very expensive.

For a tourist coming from Dublin - or someone who decides to visit Dublin/Ennis on a whim, €15 each way is great.

I think they are still going via Arthur's quay, just not dropping off any ennis passengers there. Can you get on at Bunratty and get off at Arthur's quay?

Certainly wouldn't think so. There would be some fun trying to keep the Ennis passengers from getting off the bus! Would think the only explanation is that for the asterisked times on the timetable the bus won't go to Arthur's Quay at all.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If I want to go from Ennis to Dublin and back this weekend by train, it'd cost me €61.
    Train is great it you're a student, if you have a commuter ticket, if you're elderly and get free travel, or if you book well in advance.
    Otherwise its very expensive.

For a tourist coming from Dublin - or someone who decides to visit Dublin/Ennis on a whim, €15 each way is great.

Where did I say it wasn't expensive for a non discounted passenger?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that I (average punter) would normally sooner drive to Dublin than take public transport. This would sway me.
    I've been on the green coaches before and there's way more space than a BE bus.

Would these be the same buses?
    I can't figure how they make money on those routes, max 33people on board paying maximum €10?

Or do they use regular 50 seat coaches too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They don't have Ennis on their website yet.
    http://www.dublincoach.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Balagan wrote: »
    Certainly wouldn't think so. There would be some fun trying to keep the Ennis passengers from getting off the bus! Would think the only explanation is that for the asterisked times on the timetable the bus won't go to Arthur's Quay at all.

The buses that don't pick up in ennis for drop off at Arthur's quay, are on the timetable as stopping at Arthur's quay. It says a time at Arthur's quay for all buses. It has to stop there then surely.

The buses that don't pick up in ennis for drop off at Arthur's quay, are on the timetable as stopping at Arthur's quay. It says a time at Arthur's quay for all buses. It has to stop there then surely.

Got this reply from Dublin Coach:

The stops from Ennis at 7,8,9 and 10 does not drop off in Arthurs Quay at this time, it only drops off in Bunratty, UL, Annacotty, Kildare Village, Red Cow and Dublin. Then the stops from Dublin at 4.30,5.30,6.30 and 7.30pm does not pick up in Arthurs Quay for Ennis.

It certainly limits the usefulness of the service on the Ennis-Limerick-Ennis leg but the high traffic times would certainly cause delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

finbarrk wrote: »
    They don't have Ennis on their website yet.
    http://www.dublincoach.ie/

They have it on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

10'er return to limerick.
    30 return to dublin.

Can't go wrong with that.
    The train to limerick and back is 12.20 last I used it. (During the summer) and it takes a lot longer then it should, up to an hour sometimes.
    Train ticket to Dublin is like 90 euro or 33 if you book online a month prior.

I heard the buses are supposed to be nice a spacious with toilets n'all :p
    Might go up to dublin in the new years for a day or two of shoppin.

Herrick wrote: »
    To be fair I have always found their trains to arrive on time on any journey I've been on and walking out of one train and into another doesn't bother me. As for journey time you can't guarantee a bus journey will be any shorter (in all my time on the train it's never been over three hours either) with traffic. Queuing for a Luas ticket is easily solved by having a Leap card and scanning on and off rather than buying from a ticket machine. Besides unless it's evening/early morning I find the Luas from Heuston not too bad, evenings and morning every Luas is packed, not just the one to and from the station.

I prefer trains to buses in general as I find buses a little restrictive. But I had thought if there was a bigger price difference I could handle the bus instead to save the €'s. Hopefully they add a decent student price Ennis to Dublin in future.

May seem a big difference to you but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.
    Firstly I never said the trains didn't get in on time I said they took longer. The only train that takes less than three hours is the Limerick-Dublin connection and you have to get that at the right time otherwise you have to get the Cork connection at Limerick Junction. Secondly my comments were in the context of visiting Dublin. Why would I invest in a leap card if I didn't live there? I don't think I would. And thirdly I didn't say I had a problem with jumping on and off of trains, I specifically mentioned waiting times. If every time you took the train to Dublin and the train was there waiting for you at either Limerick or Limerick Junction so you could just 'jump on and off' and someone isn't sitting in your booked seat I strongly suggest you play the lotto because you're a very lucky person! By the way your comment about traffic is a little silly. The motorway from Limerick to Dublin is excellent and fluid. Yes any number of things could happen on the road like god forbid an accident but then again accidents happen on rail lines too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Went on the bus to UL for the first time today for my last exam. Only two of us on the bus from Ennis at two o'clock, very quiet but I expect it'll pick up soon after Christmas hopefully! Lovely bus, and really genuinely nice and helpful bus drivers. Sorry to offend any Bus Eireann people but I found the bus drivers to be much nicer, at least they acknowledge your existence, smile and converse with you unlike the bus drivers I've come across on B.E. Definitely will be using Dublin Coach next year! :) Its a slightly longer walk then the bus station but the exercise is no harm ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Firstly I never said the trains didn't get in on time I said they took longer. The only train that takes less than three hours is the Limerick-Dublin connection and you have to get that at the right time otherwise you have to get the Cork connection at Limerick Junction. Secondly my comments were in the context of visiting Dublin. Why would I invest in a leap card if I didn't live there? I don't think I would. And thirdly I didn't say I had a problem with jumping on and off of trains, I specifically mentioned waiting times. If every time you took the train to Dublin and the train was there waiting for you at either Limerick or Limerick Junction so you could just 'jump on and off' and someone isn't sitting in your booked seat I strongly suggest you play the lotto because you're a very lucky person! By the way your comment about traffic is a little silly. The motorway from Limerick to Dublin is excellent and fluid. Yes any number of things could happen on the road like god forbid an accident but then again accidents happen on rail lines too!

I took the bus from Ennis to Dublin and it took about 4 hours. The train takes just under 3 even with Limerick Junction and I'm travelling nearly weekly. There's always plenty of seats on the train too generally. Plus if you have a seat booked tell them move and point out it's booked by you.

I'd also say I've only had to wait for a connecting train about one in every 5 trips I take and the most I've waited is 10 minutes.

I also don't live in Dublin and got a Leap card, it's far better than waiting for tickets at the Luas, top up by a €5 or €10 online before you make the journey and you simply pop on and pop off.

As for saying a comment about traffic is silly, well I sat in the coach for the most of 40mins just getting to the set down on Westmoreland Street and it was only a 5 mile distance, so yes the user has a valid point about traffic at times.

The user above is just giving their reasons why they find the train better as they can get a student ticket. Take it handy.

I took the bus from Ennis to Dublin and it took about 4 hours. The train takes just under 3 even with Limerick Junction and I'm travelling nearly weekly. There's always plenty of seats on the train too generally. Plus if you have a seat booked tell them move and point out it's booked by you.

I'd also say I've only had to wait for a connecting train about one in every 5 trips I take and the most I've waited is 10 minutes.

I also don't live in Dublin and got a Leap card, it's far better than waiting for tickets at the Luas, top up by a €5 or €10 online before you make the journey and you simply pop on and pop off.

As for saying a comment about traffic is silly, well I sat in the coach for the most of 40mins just getting to the set down on Westmoreland Street and it was only a 5 mile distance, so yes the user has a valid point about traffic at times.

The user above is just giving their reasons why they find the train better as they can get a student ticket. Take it handy.
    Um...I'm taking it perfectly handy and if I'm not I'm sure a mod will point it out.

I was merely stating that the other poster made statements regarding the train that are simply not true for everyone. There's enough negativity on boards without having to go looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Um...I'm taking it perfectly handy and if I'm not I'm sure a mod will point it out.

I was merely stating that the other poster made statements regarding the train that are simply not true for everyone. There's enough negativity on boards without having to go looking for it.

The same way as you made statements about the train and bus that aren't true for everyone ;) So your point is moot ;)

Also by properly ( ;) ) reading Herricks posts you'll see they are relating their own experiences and haven't stated they are claiming for everyone's experience ;)

I've added my own experiences and pointed out where you've unfairly tasked another poster. I've no more interest in adding to this as frankly reading over some of your other posts you've quite an aggressive tone, with a good measure of a superiority complex thrown in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement