Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung LED TVs in 50" - am I restricted to 46" or 55"?

• 24-11-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new Samsung LED TV (willing to spend max €2K) and would prefer a 50". I checked out Powercity but the range of 50" LED Samsungs is rather limited and most of the latest models seem to be either 46" or 55".

46" is too small for what I need, so am I right in assuming I'll have limited choice if I stick to the 50" requirement and should go for a 55" instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Actually this Series 8 55" *does* look smashing... Seems 50" ended with Series 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭wandererz

Just wondering, did you get the Series 8 55" - and what do you think of it.

Nope not yet, but it's on my radar. Gonna wait till price drops below €2K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

You could plump for the 51" F8500 Plasma. Exact same smart features (I assume) and better picture than the F8000, and widely regarded by experts as one of the best TV's of 2013.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57584396-221/samsung-f8500-plasma-wins-value-electronics-shootout/

I'm in a similar scenario but want a 60" and not much around...

Thanks, I've been toying with the idea of getting a plasma, but the energy consumption costs have kind of driven me away (although admittedly plasma are supposed to be cheaper so it possibly equals out there?)

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Thanks, I've been toying with the idea of getting a plasma, but the energy consumption costs have kind of driven me away (although admittedly plasma are supposed to be cheaper so it possibly equals out there?)

Just remember energy usage shown in the specs is it's max output, so you will hardly ever drive it near to those figures, and over the course of a year, with average usage you are looking at miniscule extra electricity. Having said that the F8500 has a cracking price also. So if you find yourself changing mind, keep in mind the Panasonic 50" GT60B, considerably cheaper, stunning picture (if not better), but smart platform is not, well, not as smart as Samsung :rolleyes:

Failing all that, just get those extra inches and get the 55F8000.

PS. Some interesting comments here;
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057112502

Goddamnit now I've gotta go back to the drawing board. To be honest I would like to spend less on the TV and then upgrade to a 4K (or whatever the latest tech is) in 5 years rather than spend more and feel compelled to hold onto the TV for 10 years :)

EDIT: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50gt60-201304052795.htm?page=Performance and http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p50gt60_TV_review_3d-audio-and-conclusions_Page-3 ... cannae ignore the high ratings for the GT60B.

Anywhere in Dublin (either west or northside) I can see one of these babies?

Just remember energy usage shown in the specs is it's max output, so you will hardly ever drive it near to those figures

Also just curious what you mean when you say "max output", is that if the screen is all white or a lot of motion on-screen (or is it the brightness setting)?

Something like that, white screen with brightness set to 100% also (something you wont do). But you might need to factor in processors etc which is difficult, hence my reasoning for saying its difficult to get to max power output. Follow the link for a very rough usage understanding, and bear in mind its for the States;

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57579932-221/what-you-need-to-know-about-tv-power-consumption/

BTW, seen these TV's in Expert Electrics, but they are usually sitting in the corner on dim settings and don't compare favourably in typical shop environments. Power City also had them not so long ago. I think they are currently selling with a 5 year warranty (very comforting), its a Panasonic promotion, not a store promotion, so should be everywhere. Richersounds in the 'Talk to' section here on Boards price very well and will also provide the full 5 year warranty.

I'm interested in the Panasonic plasma that you suggested as the room I have isn't excessively bright (mainly lit by a small table lamp) and doesn't have any windows that would cause side-on glare.

That leaves brightness and power consumption as deciding factors.

The difference in price between the cheaper plasma and the more expensive LED probably negates the difference in electricity cost over the lifetime of the TV so that might not be an issue.

I'd be worried if the screen was too dark so I guess I'd really need to see one to get an idea (I understand the bright lights of the showroom will make it look darker than it will in my house so I've factored that in).

The TV will be used for normal SD viewing, gaming and BluRay movies so I guess plasma wins all-round in those applications?

• Advertisement

Just back from Arnotts. They have a great selection of plasmas and Samsung LEDs side by side showing exactly the same film, so it was easy to make a comparison. The lighting in the showroom was not excessive, but maybe 20% brighter than it would be in my living room.

I checked out the €2500 Samsung 8500 plasma vs an €800 Samsung LED (plus a few Panasonic plasmas).

I found that the colours on the plasma seemed richer (as I had read), but the lower brightness level made it appear as though I was looking at the TV with a pair of polarized sunglasses on. It was a weird effect. Shadows seemed to dominate more and made it hard to see what objects were in the shade (when I turned my gaze to the LED screen on the right, I was able to clearly see and define the objects in the shade).

As you can see in my earlier posts I was aware of the brightness difference beforehand, but I never thought that objects would become "hidden" on the plasma. I had to squint to see them better. Perhaps if the room was completely dark they would have been better defined.

The image on the LED was also much sharper. I found this odd as all the reviews said images are sharper on plasmas, so again perhaps it's related to the brightness issue and the fact I found shadows tended to "bleed" more on the plasma.

Very weird, but perhaps I'm just used to my Samsung Series 5 LCD (not LED), but I gotta say I'm gonna have to stick with my original decision of the Samsung Series 8 55", just as soon as the price drops a bit!

The 9 Series 4K display is amazing though... can't wait till that level of transmission becomes mainstream :)

Well that's a fair comment and I'm not going to talk you out of it. People should do exactly what you did and satisfy yourself what TV YOU want, even if the showroom (well a typical Irish one anyhow) is not a good place to demo a TV, but lots of other things come into also. Its not by chance that Plasma wins top TV year on year, but you demonstrated exactly why its a dead technology.

Anyhow, yes 4K is the interim big thing until OLED becomes mainstream. Just remember, not all LED TV's are made equally, and some top of the range have a full array of LED's at the back with local dimming. If you were to pick two Samsung TV's, put the exact same LED technology into them, one 1080 and the other 4K, sit 6 foot away and watch a movie, I doubt you'd see much of a difference. What will most likely happen is 4K panels will very soon become the norm, but the LED technology in them will range from rubbish to outright fantastic and all will be priced accordingly, just as they currently are.

Enjoy your new TV whatever you choose!

Advertisement