Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC World Championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

mackeire wrote: »
    just checking on the rule for the dress code and came across this.

Is there a dress code for professional darts players?
    All players must wear black trousers and shoes. Shirts may be any colour but not carry anything that may be deemed offensive.

I know Wade has gotten away with it for years.
    Is Wright making a mockery of the dress code?

Ive been using his darts for over 2 years, http://www.reddragondarts.com/pages/5393/Peter-Wright/
    and have pretty much following him since. But have always wondered how he gets away with breaking the dress code.

Ive played in the All Irelands and every player had black trousers and black shoes on. Same in the club all irelands in the regency.

Eh who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Bye bye wright just not good enough. Pity as i was looking forward to a good final just not happening for wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

They seem to just tolerate it.

He used to wear grey pants too, outside the rules.

rules are rules tho.
    if its that easy to get away with breaking the rules, why not bring a 4th dart to the oche with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

****e final so far, really hope this break causes another breakdown in focus for MVG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Wright is just not up to this man's standard tonight.

thing is - Wright has been very good on his doubles all tournament and his average has also been around 100 too - now missing plenty and average below 95

'fraid to say the choke accusation has some credibility

I don't want to see a 7-0 but unless wright plays like he has during the rest of the tournament and not how he has so far today, that will happen - hopefully the break will help him

briany wrote: »
    MvG is ahead 10 points in the averages. It's not like Wright is missing 6 darts at a double and MvG is sneaking in to steal legs. Also, Whitlock was scoring fairly well but was miserable on his finishing at times so we could just as easily say that Wright was gifted legs there.

He is now alright after some slack darts from Wright.

No but Lewis and Wright weren't missing as many in previous games. Maybe it's the pressure he piles on.

Whitlock did finish poorly by his standards that's true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

mdwexford wrote: »
    He's getting gifted games.

Lewis and now Wright just can't hit a double.

He's taking full advantage alright.

In fairness he's dominated both games convincingly too. Lewis had problems with doubles against Wade and King as well, he only really turned up against van der voort this year!
    That 154 when Lewis was on 42 would destroy anyone's self belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Disappointing as a spectacle. Pity.

Not often you get a good final, Taylor/part, Taylor/rvb & Taylor/painter the exceptions, many a s##h one like the manley ones, Hamilton, sheppard, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

mdwexford wrote: »
    He's getting gifted games.

Lewis and now Wright just can't hit a double.

He's taking full advantage alright.

Same man that the commentators were jizzing over two nights ago in regards to his freakish accuracy in hitting doubles. Can't believe this is the same Wright who was so ruthless against Whitlock. Someone said Wright was in shock when he heard what score MVG beat Lewis, perhaps he lost it there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mackeire wrote: »
    Is there a dress code for professional darts players?
    All players must wear black trousers and shoes. Shirts may be any colour but not carry anything that may be deemed offensive.

Where are you seeing these rules, I'd be fairly confident there is no rule on 'black trousers'. Dark trousers possibly, but thats fairly subjective.

I'd say any rules are only important/enforced for floor tournaments anyway, where you don't want a mankini in your eyeline on the neighbouring board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Game on hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No whitewash anyway.
    Come on Peter and win the next 3 sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great stuff snakebite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

great set from Wright wasnt expecting that
    Now that my 7-0 bet is gone im hoping for a close match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Brilliant 130 checkout there. Hopefully he can kick on from that. At least the whitewash is off the table anyway.

• Advertisement

Minor blip, or do we have a game here? I'm hoping for the latter.

great stuff from wright, push on now and hopefully we'll get a proper game of darts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭briany

Fantastic finishing there from Wright, but at 4-1 down, he's left himself a long road back to parity. Really need to be keeping things tighter in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Didn't see MvG whitewashing him in fairness, he does have a tendency to get a little complacent. Rubbish set from him by all standards. Wright starting to hit a little form at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Necrominus wrote: »
    Minor blip, or do we have a game here? I'm hoping for the latter.

It could be competitive but the first to 7 matches are so long it's tough to envision a real comeback being on the cards (think Taylor/Whitlock or even Taylor/Barney in the semis last year). MVG just needs to hold his throw and he's set. Could be a fun one though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

well done wright,.all the neutrals want a 7-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Does MvG always posture after every throw - it's annoying

He really does come off as an arrogant tool when he does it every bloody time!

Can't fault his talent though

come on Wright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

who let zippy in?

Ok, this is BDO standard play by Van Gerwen now. Dreadful.

leggo wrote: »
    It could be competitive but the first to 7 matches are so long it's tough to envision a real comeback being on the cards (think Taylor/Whitlock or even Taylor/Barney in the semis last year). MVG just needs to hold his throw and he's set. Could be a fun one though.

I still think MVG will take it but he needs to steady the ship in this set. Did I hear correctly that wright moves to no. 3 in the world if he wins tonight? Astonishing. If it were to happen I'd have to question the ranking system based on prize money in the PDC

Necrominus wrote: »
    I still think MVG will take it but he needs to steady the ship in this set. Did I hear correctly that wright moves to no. 3 in the world if he wins tonight? Astonishing. If it were to happen I'd have to question the ranking system based on prize money in the PDC

The break will help. If that's the case with the rankings, it's pretty messed up. But the difference in prize money between the Worlds and everything else (if you do well of course) slants it big-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

MVG nearly broke his ribs there... KONG SMASH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wright shoulda won that leg with the darts!

To be honest the more MVG acts like a tool, the more I want Wright to win it!

Think the crowd is shifting the same way

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Ok, this is BDO standard play by Van Gerwen now. Dreadful.

you're out of order

bad tops miss by wright there, lost his bottle at a key moment, could well have cost him the world title, expect mvg to bombard him again

Pity if he hits that he's right back in the match, asking a lot now.

Van Gerwen is getting very annoying.

Don't want MVG to win this atm, least not unless he hits a bit of form again. Needs to earn it imo and he's not done that at all yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regretting I didn't have my 40 euro at 9/2 on the match ending 7--2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MVG is taking the píss with this fist pump nonsense after every 140 even.

classless.

spiralism wrote: »
    Don't want MVG to win this atm, least not unless he hits a bit of form again. Needs to earn it imo and he's not done that at all yet.

Does it not count to you until the 5th set or something?

It's gas actually.. People here slate Taylor about his attitude but the looks from MVG after every shot are pure arrogance

At least Taylor has the track record to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

The stupid facial expressions and fist pumping from mvg are very annoying. He has the talent, you'd hope as he gets older he'll lose that nonsense.

Lads van Gerwen's fist pumping is clearly more to pump himself up than any kind of attempt to be arrogant or classless. It's like Maria Sharapova yelling while she takes a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Still makes him a pr-ick

Does it not count to you until the 5th set or something?

First four sets he won Wright couldnt hit anything, missed a ton of doubles, MVG wasnt exactly at his best then. Could easily have been 2-2 if Wright took any chances at all.

Great set by him there though until the ugly finish.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Still makes him a pr-ick

Funny how nobody said that when he did the exact same last year, but was an underdog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lads van Gerwen's fist pumping is clearly more to pump himself up than any kind of attempt to be arrogant or classless. It's like Maria Sharapova yelling while she takes a shot.

not everyone whose classless intends to be.

it doesn't make the actions any less classless.

and that counts for Sharapova too; can't stand the woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not really getting the hate of MVG over the fistpump thing.
    He's absolutely pumped and delighted when he scores well, and he's shattered and disgusted when he makes a mess.
    Thats fairly normal and whilst he'd probably be better to hold it in and stop being so 'short term thinking' about the game, I dont think its a sign of arrogance.

tops miss by snakebite to make it 4-3 was turning-point, this is over

as for mvgs celebrations, a bit annoying alright but at least during interviews, he comes across as a nice enough lad unlike taylor who can be a tad smug and self-righteous at times

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It's gas actually.. People here slate Taylor about his attitude but the looks from MVG after every shot are pure arrogance

At least Taylor has the track record to back it up.

I think the difference is that van gerwen hasn't been around as long. Everyone wants to see the king dethroned. It's already beginning with the hatred for MVG. Personally I love them both. Two of the best at the top of their profession, they're allowed a little arrogance in my book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's his thing. He's always done it. Suppose it will only bother people when he's winning though...

SlickRic wrote: »
    not everyone whose classless intends to be.

it doesn't make the actions any less classless.

and that counts for Sharapova too; can't stand the woman.

What? Re-read that. Of course it matters if he means to be classless. If he's doing it in an attempt to throw off his opponent...bit classless. If it's a way of pumping himself up, which he clearly is as he does it more when he's struggling and needs to boost himself...it's just his method. Whether people like it or not. It's like people randomly deciding that Dennis Priestley's slow throw all of a sudden indicated a lack of class. No, it's just how he plays darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It's his thing. He's always done it. Suppose it will only bother people when he's winning though...

exactly, no one said it last year when he did it, i think people just look for any excuse to hate the favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Regretting I didn't have my 40 euro at 9/2 on the match ending 7--2.

really??

• Advertisement
Advertisement