Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC World Championship 2014

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1-1 between Anderson and Lloyd with Anderson a leg up. Lloyd scoring but missing doubles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

2-2 in sets. Poor standard, low 80's averages but interesting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Poor standard but shaping up for an exciting finish. Might go to a shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anderson should have put him away there...

3 darts missed by Anderson to take it and Lloyd takes out 105 to hold his throw and make it 4-4. Great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Good match that. Standard was fairly up and down but enjoyable nonetheless.

Anderson wins it in a sudden death leg. Turned out to be a very entertaining game.

Delighted Anderson won, he wanted it more. Lloyd chucking away darts is very petulant.

gramar wrote: »
    3 darts missed by Anderson to take it and Lloyd takes out 105 to hold his throw and make it 4-4. Great stuff!

I don't think Lloyd hit a triple in the sudden death leg and Anderson probably deserved it overall. Not a high quality match but entertaining all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Was that Andersons brother/partner in the crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Guessing his brother that threw a niner on saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Yep, that's his brother Kyle.

Llyod is not the player his once was. Very poor these days.

Some good darts thrown by he Austrian in the prelim but MvG will surely make short work of him later.

This is terrible. 72 average for Clark and he manages to win the set to make it 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

KevIRL wrote: »
    Am away from the TV tonight so a few updates on here would be greatly appreciated lads

The stands started singing 'Boring Boring Tables'.
    The tables replied with "we've got more cash than you, we've got more than cash than you" and followed up with "Feed The Stands, let them know its Christmas Time". The stands seemed to concede defeat at this, and are just singing the neutral 'Stand up if you're in the stands' at the moment.

It's a lit more interesting than this darts match at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Roll on the Lakeside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Mighty mike.

Lerchbacher.... oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is that the last match, or is there another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

idle wrote: »
    Was that Andersons brother/partner in the crowd?

Lol
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Roll on the Lakeside!

So we can see more averages below 80?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Did mvg win..

koppy wrote: »
    Did mvg win..
    Yes. Not surprising considering his opponent was trying to hit D10 with 32 left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

tonight + lastnight darts has being awfull stuff
    sooner first round is over and get rid of donkeys the better

Good performance from Whitlock tonight.

Still nobody has averaged over 100 yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

ah lads, gosh - would you blokes ever take a chill pill about the averages?

dart duels are about the drama of man v man, of crumbling under pressure or performing in those dark moments when hell's flames threaten to engulf you

I beseech you friends to let go of that tired, cold and mechanical view of the world by which you can only judge a darting tussle by the staid old formula that is numbers and averages

I like my contests like I like my women, full of fear and fury, bouts of hysteria and inconsistency but always always a satisfaction that something is happening; let us call it the liability of emotion for we are not robots

let the dartists be human, let go of the averages compulsion

I agree with you to a point as there's no question that a tight game can be very entertaining despite low averages but a tight game between two players in top form is always going to be more enjoyable to watch.

There's plenty of close games down the pub on a league night but it doesn't make them compulsive viewing. VdV against Clark was close for w while last night but it was poor to watch.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I agree with you to a point as there's no question that a tight game can be very entertaining despite low averages but a tight game between two players in top form is always going to be more enjoyable to watch.

There's plenty of close games down the pub on a league night but it doesn't make them compulsive viewing. VdV against Clark was close for w while last night but it was poor to watch.

It was shocking to watch. I agree with the averages. People are a bit obsessesed and everytime someone wins with an average of 85 it's winning ugly. Not necessarily. The fan wants to see a battle with some decent scoring and some big finishes.

The idea of a good match is a mix of great darts and tension like the Henderson Chisnall battle on Sunday or Anderson v Lloyd yesterday who 'only' had 83 averages. There were tight legs and plenty of uncertainty as to who would win which is what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oh dear, ye man Pipe is playing, hope the other guy has a stormer and beats him quick as I hate watching Pipe throw in slow motion :(

Liamalone wrote: »
    Oh dear, ye man Pipe is playing, hope the other guy has a stormer and beats him quick as I hate watching Pipe throw in slow motion :(

If you don't like Pipe you are going to hate Dennis Smith later!

Monk is losing the head against Pipe, he can't handle the pace of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Kingp35 wrote: »
    If you don't like Pipe you are going to hate Dennis Smith later!

Monk is losing the head against Pipe, he can't handle the pace of the game.
    I actually find it hard to watch Dennis Smith. Apart from the pace, that weird eye thing he does is disturbing and he looks like a big greasy, sleazy weirdo :pac:

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, that was painful viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ridiculous...neither could finish their dinner

Couple of nights running of absolutely terrible fare.

There genuinely isn't the quality in the PDC to have a 64 man competition televised - there's been the odd decent game in this round but most is just dross.
    Its like the first few rounds of the womens tennis at Wimbledon but without the lovely bottoms.

retalivity wrote: »
    Ridiculous...neither could finish their dinner
    Smith looks like he's finished many a dinner.

Two very underwhelung nights if darts in a row. It looks like Lewis will win this last match very easily too.

The sooner the second round starts the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You can't expect too much from the first round. It's always about the big names getting walkovers (while everyone prays for the upset that almost never comes to pass), the occasional epic scrap between mid-level players and a bunch of new names that the fans take on as legends. We've got all that: with Taylor's scare, Winstanley going out, Lloyd/Henderson last night and Hashimoto tonight. Not to mention two 9-darters in one day!

It only ever starts to get really juicy after Christmas with the wall-to-wall schedules between a mix of the best and the guys on a hot streak.

leggo wrote: »
    You can't expect too much from the first round. It's always about the big names getting walkovers (while everyone prays for the upset that almost never comes to pass), the occasional epic scrap between mid-level players and a bunch of new names that the fans take on as legends. We've got all that: with Taylor's scare, Winstanley going out, Lloyd/Henderson last night and Hashimoto tonight. Not to mention two 9-darters in one day!

It only ever starts to get really juicy after Christmas with the wall-to-wall schedules between a mix of the best and the guys on a hot streak.

You are such a glass half full person.

All I see is a 44 year old man who looks about 64 getting whitewashed 9-0 by Lewis, which will hopefully happen quick enough to stop Smiffy keeling over dead of a heart attack.

Was it about 2 years ago there was a really good first round, some very close games and nearly a few upsets?

I always enjoy the first round for what it is, a gentle introduction into the tournament, and sure as fukk its better to have darts on the telly than no darts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You are such a glass half full person.

All I see is a 44 year old man who looks about 64 getting whitewashed 9-0 by Lewis, which will hopefully happen quick enough to stop Smiffy keeling over dead of a heart attack.

Yeah, it was a poor match (and night) and even both Lewis and Smith knew that on stage. I just find it hard to complain about a round that has seen Taylor nearly get upset and two 9-darters. And why? Because of two substandard nights (and even last night had a great Lloyd/Henderson match)? It feels more like people need to temper their expectations.

This is how it pretty much always is. It's the nature of the tournament, and remove that then you remove the qualifier element (perhaps the only thing that makes it a truly 'World' Championship) and the possibility of upsets like Kirk Shepherd getting to the final. So it'd be dumb to change too and smart to just accept it for what it is.

• Advertisement

Its the World Championship, stop your moaning people!!!
    Id watch it every day of the year.

Things are shaping up nicely with only one day of first round matches left. No standout performer so far but a lot of players in that 95-99 average bracket.

Some very nice second round ties
    Barney vs Caven
    Hamilton vs Burnett
    Huybrechts vs White
    Dolan vs Anderson

MVG played like a pudding in the first round and has the toughest draw with a possible McDine, Anderson, Barney, Lewis run to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Huybrechts has the toughest draw I think with his brother, White, Hamilton/Burnett, Whitlock, Taylor and then Van Gerwen/Lewis. Couldn't ask for much tougher in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

hawaii501 wrote: »
    Huybrechts has the toughest draw I think with his brother, White, Hamilton/Burnett, Whitlock, Taylor and then Van Gerwen/Lewis. Couldn't ask for much tougher in my opinion.

Ya but huybrecht wont make it final he'll put up a good fight against white, may even beat him but cant see him getting any further.

hawaii501 wrote: »

It is very tough also but I'd rather play Hamilton than Anderson and I'd rather play Whitlock than Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

people forget that great players have star somewhere, cut the worlds to 32 and you might not see some of the players get a proper chance and make it Peterson prefect example he reckons that win will be huge help to helping him go near full time

Tough first match here for Webster against Suljovic, especially considering he has been so poor for two years now. I hope he wins because I want to see him back to his best.

• Advertisement

Heydon v Suljovic would be the ultimate match between weird throwers

Suljovic with a brain fart and goes for tops when he had 50 left. Webster makes it 1-1 but he looks like half the player he used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

this is crazy stuff 50 darts at the double each is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

This is awful throwing by both players.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

poor set

• Advertisement
Advertisement