Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Work and Social Welfare payment.

• 24-11-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

first post as new member, made the account specifically for this thread, as I'm so confused. I started work in Gamestop about 2 months ago, only getting 2 day's work, with the possibility of more coming up to Christmas. As the money I get isn't sufficient enough to support myself because I am only getting roughly 12 hours, I have applied for the X's and O's dockets. I still haven't received any cheque as of yet, but I spoke to the Social Welfare over the phone last week and they said it's not processed because of a back log, which is fair enough. This however is not the problem. Basically, can anyone explain to me how much I am entitled too? What type of payment this is (JSB/JSA) and how they calculate how much you are entitled to.

I am 22 and was receiving the lower rate of €144 JSA before I managed to get the job in Gamestop.
    I get 8.65 an hour, in case that matters also.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm oblivious to how the system works.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

You will lose out on 20 - 25 euro from the welfare every day that you work as far as i know

So 144 for a week of not working

If you work 1 day that you will get about 120 or so

Divide 144 by 6-7 and work it out.Not sure if sunday counts though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 my5thbebo

Is it really that simple? I'm surprised it's only 20 a day they take off, coz' I get roughly 12 hours which before tax etc. is around €90-ish, and i only lose 40 from the dole? so essentially I'll get

€80-€90 from work

and

€84 from social welfare, because Sunday's don't count as far as I know.
    All this is rough estimates of course.

That's fantastic, if it's right lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Sunday is now counted as a day of work.

Before 20 February 2013 if you worked on Sunday calculating your means from employment was done differently. You included your earnings from Sunday when calculating your assessable weekly earnings. However Sunday was not counted as a day of work, so your daily means from work on a Sunday were not taken into account in the means test.
    However work on Sunday is now included so:
    1. You include your earnings from Sunday when working out your assessable weekly earnings
    2. You include Sunday when you are checking to see whether your assessable weekly earnings are over the limit
    3. You include Sunday when calculating your average daily earnings
    4. You include Sunday when calculating your daily means or weekly means from work

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I work 3 days a week and am docked €21 for each day. It'll probably be different for you but I'd say it'll be in and around that

Advertisement