Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im actually down over a kg.........I really wish my body made more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sauve wrote: »
    Um, by eating more than I was burning.
    The usual way!

Indeed.

I suppose it's easy done with all the tasty treats on offer this time of year, I've never really had a sweet tooth so stay the same weight all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I haven't braved the scale but looked in the mirror this evening and noticed I had visibly put on weight. Not good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Indeed.

I suppose it's easy done with all the tasty treats on offer this time of year, I've never really had a sweet tooth so stay the same weight all year.

Ah yeah, it was a deliberate relaxation to be honest. I've been training hard and been very careful with my diet for a long time now so I needed a break from it all.

Back at it again for the new year with renewed motivation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Went on the scale and surprisingly haven't gained a pound.

Was at gym 3 times last week but drank and ate crap all week so surprised cause I lost over a stone since July this years.

Gym only open 8am-12pm this week so can't there before work. back to 6 days next week though and can't wait :D.

Would say at one of the fittest of my life. Goal this year was to go from 83kg to 76kg but be slightly bigger and stronger, goal was achieved :). Loads of hard work though, none/little alcohol, more sleep and a lot more disciplined in diet

Anyone do yoga? Whats it like?

I do yoga 3 times a week minimum.
    Great for balance & flexibilty. Plus youd be surprised how absolutely wrecked youd be after it.

I do yoga 3 times a week minimum.
    Great for balance & flexibilty. Plus youd be surprised how absolutely wrecked youd be after it.

Thanks Professey,

Going to switch it with one of my cardio days and see how it goes. How long have you been doing it? My core and balance is good but flexibility not great cause too lazy to stretch sometimes

ulinbac wrote: »
    Thanks Professey,

Going to switch it with one of my cardio days and see how it goes. How long have you been doing it? My core and balance is good but flexibility not great cause too lazy to stretch sometimes

Did it earlier in the year originally but then got lazy :o
    Back consistently doing it the last couple of months. Youd notice flexibility differences quick. I can headbutt my knees again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Checked the scales today. I'm up 2kg/ Not bad.

Basically did cardio. Two weeks doing nothing definitely paid its toll :(

• Advertisement

2 months into my current little warpath back to decent fitness and im down to 70kg from 78/79kg.
    Onto round 2 tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ulinbac wrote: »
    Anyone do yoga? Whats it like?
    A mix of flexibility and bodyweight strength, with a strong focus on breath, movement and flow.

I love yoga, but I'm finding it hard to find a good class since I moved to London. Did a 2 week trial with a well known studio here but felt like most of the instructors and students had their heads wedged up their own arses. Went to a great ashtanga class in Dublin that didn't cost the earth either, I do miss it.

I did nothing but run for a long time, but I've been struggling with back and pelvis issues since a fall during a race in May 2012. I've added strength work at the gym, swimming and cycling, and am aiming for a triathlon in August.

I had a disaster over Christmas though - haven't got on the scales yet but there was a horrific amount of food and drink and I only had two runs and one swim in the two weeks that I was back home. Back to the gym tomorrow I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Winter is usually a slack time for me. Outside the winter months I swim 4 times a week, has always been my go to exercise. I supplement that with a few games of tennis a week and a 5k jog every second day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Haven't weighed myself yet....but I think I'll be ok!! I had a very good christmas, no drink at all and no junk, I went on holidays to America for the new year and was due to fly home yesterday but I'm still here, can't get a seat on a plane! Much longer and its going to have an effect on me, its so difficult to find anything reasonably healthy here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Used to play squash two or three times a week. Tore my Achilles tendon, needed surgery so haven't been able to exercise since September. I've been advised to give up squash in case the tendon tears again, very disappointed it's a sport I loved and will really really miss a lot.

Looking for something new to do...maybe cycling, any suggestions at all?

What about swimming Boobar? It would put little to no pressure on the achilles afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

boobar wrote: »
    Used to play squash two or three times a week. Tore my Achilles tendon, needed surgery so haven't been able to exercise since September. I've been advised to give up squash in case the tendon tears again, very disappointed it's a sport I loved and will really really miss a lot.

Looking for something new to do...maybe cycling, any suggestions at all?

I'm very surprised by that. I tore my Achilles tendon a couple of years ago and was back playing rugby a year later. My consultant had no issues that I wanted to go back playing rugby and said I'd have no issues with it

What about swimming Boobar? It would put little to no pressure on the achilles afaik.

That's an option I'll have to learn...in my 40s, tried a few years ago, failed dismally....but willing to try again

BDJW wrote: »
    I'm very surprised by that. I tore my Achilles tendon a couple of years ago and was back playing rugby a year later. My consultant had no issues that I wanted to go back playing rugby and said I'd have no issues with it

I've heard of others being able to go back to their sport. My consultant was very very clear with me that I shouldn't.

You've been there with this so you know how long it takes to get off the crutches. I don't want to risk it again, 8 weeks not walking, driving made life really difficult.

I suppose consultants differ in their approaches.

That's an option I'll have to learn...in my 40s, tried a few years ago, failed dismally....but willing to try again

I learned to swim in the past year. Best thing i've ever done. I absolutely love it now. Went to lessons and it took a while but the trick is to simply stick to it, that's all. Don't give up! it's awesome.

I've heard of others being able to go back to their sport. My consultant was very very clear with me that I shouldn't.

You've been there with this so you know how long it takes to get off the crutches. I don't want to risk it again, 8 weeks not walking, driving made life really difficult.

I suppose consultants differ in their approaches.

You were lucky it was only 8 weeks! I was on crutches and in a cast for 12 or 13 weeks!

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    You were lucky it was only 8 weeks! I was on crutches and in a cast for 12 or 13 weeks!

Now I think of it ...it was about 10 weeks. Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Bikram yoga, can't recommend it highly enough. Had to give up football a few years ago thanks to a knackered knee. The yoga seems to have fixed the knee and has also made a huge difference to my sciatica. Honestly, I've never been this flexible or strong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My mother learned to swim in her fifties. The secret is to tell everybody you are learning. Them asking you how you are getting on will shame you into sticking at it.:D

Did a slow 5 mile run this morning. I still had loads of energy by the end of it so was happy with the result. I can push a bit more next time now that I know the distance isn't an issue anymore. This makes up for my laziness yesterday when I rolled over for another hour rather than brave the cold streets of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I have been talked into joining the local gym beside my work in Germany here. I did a one day tour of some of the machines. To be honest I am not sure where to actually start when I join up officially though. I am a complete gym newbie.

Theres a few leaflets there for beginners and medium experienced users....tailored to your desires. So (paraphrasing) "I want to look like a muscly glistening arnie type" leaflet tells you what machines to use, in what order, and how much on each day. There are similar leaflets for "ausdauer" or "endurance". And a few others things.

There doesnt seem to be much information for "I am 35 with a bit of a 15 year accumulated beer belly I would like very much to be rid of.... and while endurance, upper body strength, and a good heart are all 'nice to have'...... my priorities appear to be a little different from everyone else who comes here" however :)

So I find myself contemplating the machines and options with a bit of bewilderment and dread and am completely unsure where to start or what to do. I may just go in with a "Do a bit of everything every tuesday, thursday and sunday.... only leaving each session when everything hurts that can hurt" attitude and just see where it takes me. Any better ideas on a post card to the usual address however :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Truth wins

Its all about diet and control my friend.

Exercise 30%
    Diet 70%

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I may just go in with a "Do a bit of everything every tuesday, thursday and sunday.... only leaving each session when everything hurts that can hurt" attitude and just see where it takes me. Any better ideas on a post card to the usual address however :)

Ok so you are essentially looking for some weight loss and a bit of toning. I would recommend you spend a session with a personal trainer to discuss your needs and they can tailor a programme for you. They tend to cost about €30 per hour in Ireland so assume Germany is somewhat similar.
    Also a chat with a dietician would be beneficial as diet is the single most important part of weight loss. To put in simply if calories burned > caloried ingested = weight loss.

If you don't want to do either of these things then split your gym session into cardio training and weights. Build up your endurance and speed on the treadmill (or bike or cross trainer) until you can do 30 mins running. For the weights keep track of how much you are lifting and how many reps you can do and increase once you are comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Truth wins wrote: »
    Its all about diet and control my friend.

Exercise 30%
    Diet 70%
    This.

You can be doing the best workouts but if you're not fueling your body appropriately then you're not going to see gains.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They tend to cost about €30 per hour in Ireland so assume Germany is somewhat similar.

Here a large % of gyms are 24 hour access, and reception is manned by something slightly higher than a receptionist during a few hours of office time. They have no actual training as trainers, more they have formed their own opinions through their own training.

The gyms, such as the one I am about to sign up to, cost €25/month for your 24/7 hour access, with use of showers costing a lot extra (thankfully I have a shower in work next door). So I guess you get what you pay for in terms of skilled trainers :)

There might be adds for trainers on the walls of the gym (I would be surprised if there wasn't). If not then it surely cannot be difficult to source one locally? Even if it is another gym it will be worth the money.
    Personally I need clear goals to keep me motivated to train. Where I have a vague aim of 'getting fitter' or 'losing weight' I will not keep going too long.

My lack of good German doesnt help, but you are likely right yes.

As a lead up to the gym joining I have spent the last couple of weeks see saw training. That is I take my daugther to the local stiff old see saw, stick her on one end, and push her up and down with one hand from the other end. Every second day. At the start I could only do 15 with each hand. Now I can do 30. Not bad for around 9 days work. ;) If I keep up that pace of improvement over my entire body for 2014 I should come out the other end not too bad at all :)

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Got into doing BJJ a few months ago. Just beginners classes twice a week in a bit to A) get fit and B) get good at it because it's an awesome sport.

Started mixing in MMA with it too. Also twice a week.

I've not made a huge amount of progress at the BJJ to be honest but i've made a couple of short term goals.

1) Turn up!! Make sure to be doing at least 3 sessions every week. I've been keeping this up well.

2) Start going to the advanced BJJ classes so I can actually get better.

I have a general idea that i'm going to try to compete in my first competition before my next birthday, which is in April.

Good start to the New Year for me! I've managed to not miss a regular session so far and this evening made my first foray into the advanced class. It was scary but very awesome.

By the end I'd trained for 2 & a half hours straight. Something I haven't done since I was a child. Sore, but delighted with myself! Gonna keep it up now and hopefully get better and get fitter!

Started back this week

Quit my gym membership after a disastrous trip on Sunday and ended up doing a home workout. Had my first session with the GAA club last night, very good session and glad to get it out of the way, the pitch was heavy, felt like I was running on toffee at times!

Looking forward to joining a gym just down the road from work and doing morning sessions before I start the day or evening sessions after if I need the lie in.

I've 6-8 tough weeks ahead but hopefully should be business as usual after that :)

Back in Gym this week. Had man flu last week!

Yoga last week was a real winner and doing it again tomorrow.

Carb cycling atm and its quite tough!!

Did my first 10k for well over a year this morning. Absolutely goosed sitting at my desk. Gonna be good for nothing until lunchtime.

Did my first 10k for well over a year this morning. Absolutely goosed sitting at my desk. Gonna be good for nothing until lunchtime.
    Gulp back that water PR!

My backs been stiff since the running Monday, hopefully won't be too bad after training tonight and I'll be able to get a gym session in on Thursday after work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Good on everyone in this thread! I'm living through you guys and your progress this morning while I nurse a painful knee. Took up jogging before Christmas, was up every morning excited to go running even in the storms I was out with a dopey grin on my face, got my abs showing again, my legs looking great too, ate moderately over Christmas but then last week my knee started hurting, got worse after the next run so I stopped, seems I have "runners knee", I'm assuming I need gait analysis done once its healed so that I don't do more damage. Even my mood has changed in the past week not being able to get the run in. Keep up the good work everyone and hopefully I'll be posting with ye soon! :)

Had two quite hard sessions Monday and yesterday. All the holidays slump is gone.
    But I'm wrecked today. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

3 mile run tonight. thought i was going faster than watch said but still good to keep going with no breaks

GAA training tomorrow night. Looking forward to it

Joining gym starting February. Trainers there put together plan for you so that should be good for keeping me on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Was made do 200 pushups in training as part off a team dropping the ball ten times all while doing 20 meter sprints, cant feel my frickin arms so couldnt gym tonight :(

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Was made do 200 pushups in training as part off a team dropping the ball ten times all while doing 20 meter sprints, cant feel my frickin arms so couldnt gym tonight :(
    That could only be a GAA trainers call

Hitting the gym after work this evening, resting tomorrow then match Sunday, first of the year so bound to be difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Back going strong in the gym myself.

Was there 3 nights this week, goin after work today and probably the morning too.

Concentrating on the bike more than anything as I wanna shift the belly so did 12500 metres last night and some weights followed by 1500 metres on the rowing machine.

Run a few times a week. Running you can do anywhere and is great mentally as well as physically.
    Footie once a week.
    Kitesurf when there's wind.
    Must get into some sort of strength stuff but don't like the hassle of going to a gym - must look into that p90x stuff.

glasso wrote: »
    Run a few times a week. Running you can do anywhere and is great mentally as well as physically.
    Footie once a week.
    Kitesurf when there's wind.
    Must get into some sort of strength stuff but don't like the hassle of going to a gym - must look into that p90x stuff.
    P90X has alot of good exercises I have to say so do check it out

Home workouts can be very good and don't even require that much space

Had our match called off yesterday so ended up doing a fairly tough hour of running

Got up this morning and went to the gym before work, happy with the workout I have to say, simple in and out job but my glutes and hamstrings are going to need two days or so to recover!

As an aside, gym apparel - where do people here purchase their gym gear?

I used to wear football jerseys etc. but now I'd simply wear a cheap Pennys cotton tee and a pair of adidas shorts. I've been meaning to purchase some new gear including runners but the shorts in particular seem vastly overpriced.

If anybody has any recommendations on where to look (online or otherwise) then I'd appreciate it - also think it might add to the thread as a resource

SportsDirect. All you need :pac:

Im going mental. Finally have my gym membership in work up and running but I cant use it or do much exercise until my side heals. Its been 3 days and Im going bablaboobalabooobloopsa

• Advertisement

The only thing I would put any investment into (at least initially) is a decent pair of runners if you are doing alot of impact cardio. Other than that any old pair of shorts and an old T-shirt. If you're not doing running then any old pair of runners will do.

The only thing I would put any investment into (at least initially) is a decent pair of runners if you are doing alot of impact cardio. Other than that any old pair of shorts and an old T-shirt. If you're not doing running then any old pair of runners will do.
    Well I'll be sweating doing cycling & in general from doing a quick paced workout so a cheap pair of sports shorts is what I'm looking for essentially - there just doesn't seem to be any in the usual spots (Lifestyle Sports, Champion etc.) they're all Adidas, Nike €30-€40 stuff which I'm not interested in.

I use some old Canterbury and O'Neills (Kilkenny :pac:) shorts, also cheap Penneys tshirts and GAA replica jerseys. Get all the sweat and they dry fast.

Agreed on investing money on runners though.

The sports section of Heatons D'Agger. Think it's called Sportsworld.
    Loads of decent cheap gear in there.

The sports section of Heatons D'Agger. Think it's called Sportsworld.
    Loads of decent cheap gear in there.

That is the same company as sportsdirect.co.uk!

• Advertisement
Advertisement