Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Normally do Gym Mon (Chest/Back), Wed(Legs) Fri (Shoulders and Arms) Rugby Tues/Thurs and match Sat. Sunday is a rest day.

GAA starts back next week so going to have to split up the sessions prob 1 GAA and 1 Rugby a week. Messes up my rest days because GAA matches will be sundays more than likely.

Not particularly happy with my fitness at the moment looking forward to GAA training again. Normally find that I loose a bit of fitness over the rugby season compared to the GAA training.

One more thing agree with sportsworld for cheap training gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

BDJW wrote: »
    That is the same company as sportsdirect.co.uk!
    And its cheaper to get everything from the UK site. Better sales too

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

been doing core yoga classes this past couple of weeks and starting into a bit of running/jogging yesterday...

with regards to a good pair of runners, what would be a good pair to invest in? there seems to be contrasting views as to what you should wear while jogging i.e. the thicker soled, or minimum soles???

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    been doing core yoga classes this past couple of weeks and starting into a bit of running/jogging yesterday...

with regards to a good pair of runners, what would be a good pair to invest in? there seems to be contrasting views as to what you should wear while jogging i.e. the thicker soled, or minimum soles???

Head to Amphibian King or similar when it comes to buying runners. Theyre great at going through everything with you when it comes to picking out runners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

scottmcb04 wrote: »

Never heard of the shop Prof Chin recomended but looking at their website they have all of the better products. If you can get someone to advise you on it there that is the best idea. That said I would be making sure I was committed to running before shelling out €150 on a pair of runners.
    If you do keep it up a pair of good runners is essential. You should also make sure you are running properly. I see alot of people run heel to toe and if you want one way to guarantee injury then that is it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Get a gait analysis done when buying runners. That's the advice I got on boards before doing the C25K programme a few years back.

Ran for an hour yesterday, but still struggling with the motivation of getting out there and frequency. Meh. Maybe a few 30 minute runs often is better than an hour here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Back in gym 2.5 weeks now.

Strength increasing. Back in physio again from tomorrow. Hoping to avoid a fasciotomy??

Carb cycling is tough to reduce body fat and get the abs back... eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Maybe a few 30 minute runs often is better than an hour here and there.

It absolutely is. Steady, slow consistency is a heck of a lot better than murdering yourself infrequently. If you do that, your running form can be poor, you could easily hurt yourself, and you can end up hating running cos it's difficult.

Shorter runs more often will do you much better in the long run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

^ Perhaps. But I am only getting into the gym thing for the first time ever now. And I find that an hour there does get me sweaty and out of breath.... and that at the end of every "set" I do for myself (15 lifts, pulls or whatever) I am straining. But at the end of the hour I really feel like I could do another hour.

Now perhaps you are right that it is better somehow not to, and just do these hours frequently and regularly. But at the same time it is a little demotivating to leave the gym feeling I did not quite do enough. But investing 2 hours that many times a week... I dont think I can afford the time.

I guess one of the hardest things to do with gyms, I am learning, is finding the balance between what is most effective in terms of fitness... and what just FEELS satisfying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Have done zero cardio at all recently so I spent 45 mins on the bike last night with a moderate incline. The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast makes it so much easier :)

Hamstrings were stiff afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sauve wrote: »
    It absolutely is. Steady, slow consistency is a heck of a lot better than murdering yourself infrequently. If you do that, your running form can be poor, you could easily hurt yourself, and you can end up hating running cos it's difficult.

Shorter runs more often will do you much better in the long run :)
    Join a GAA club at this time of year if you fancy being murdered frequently :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

3 quarters of my 4x4 square challenge* done this morning. 4 times round Merrion Square, Stephen's Green and Fitzwilliam Square. One more square to go.
    Was in a heap by the time I finished it. Legs were like lead.

*TM Pawwed Rig. All rights reserved.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    3 quarters of my 4x4 square challenge* done this morning. 4 times round Merrion Square, Stephen's green and Fitzwilliam square. One more square to go.
    Was in a heap by the time I finished it. Legs were like lead.

*TM Pawwed Rig. All rights reserved.
    You probably passed me on my way to work. Jerk.

... but well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Have done zero cardio at all recently so I spent 45 mins on the bike last night with a moderate incline. The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast makes it so much easier :)

Hamstrings were stiff afterwards!
    Did the same yesterday. 45 minutes, level 5 or 6. Knee had been a bit sore so didn't want to push it too much. Legs were alright though.

Football training tonight, looking forward to it, gym then tomorrow morning hopefully and if our match is on Sunday then I'll look to get a light session in on Friday after work

Barna77 wrote: »
    Did the same yesterday. 45 minutes, level 5 or 6. Knee had been a bit sore so didn't want to push it too much. Legs were alright though.
    Have you got a knee problem? I'm working back from knee surgery so I was pretty happy with it, didn't have any pain afterwards. I was on level 6 for most of it and level 7 for 6/7 minutes near the end to get my HR over 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Have you got a knee problem? I'm working back from knee surgery so I was pretty happy with it, didn't have any pain afterwards. I was on level 6 for most of it and level 7 for 6/7 minutes near the end to get my HR over 160.
    I have on of those "the weather is going to change pain" knees, ever since I was a kid :mad:, so I was easy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

3rd week back in the gym since Christmas really struggling with it. I wanna go for 16 stone but I'm losing weight and I'm struggling to feel tired after a lifting session I don't think I'm eating enough or going heavy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Haven't missed a regular BJJ session in 2014 which is good! Dipped my toes into the Advanced class last week too and it was great but I was in bits for 3 days afterwards. Thought i'd be able to just jump in but I have to be smarter and ease my way in. Going to give it a go next week and try to do at least 1 advanced session a week until i'm ready to go for 2 a week.

Lost all of my Christmas weight in one week which was good but despite staying well under my target calories for the past 2 weeks i've not shifted a single ounce! Not to worry though because I actually feel I look a bit better than I did 3 weeks ago so the scale could be irrelevant.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lost all of my Christmas weight in one week which was good but despite staying well under my target calories for the past 2 weeks i've not shifted a single ounce! Not to worry though because I actually feel I look a bit better than I did 3 weeks ago so the scale could be irrelevant.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with not losing weight. that will come in time with regular exercise and a healthy diet. the more important point is you feel better :)
    Mully_2011 wrote: »
    3rd week back in the gym since Christmas really struggling with it. I wanna go for 16 stone but I'm losing weight and I'm struggling to feel tired after a lifting session I don't think I'm eating enough or going heavy enough.
    Could you get one of the instructors to give you some advice?

Could you get one of the instructors to give you some advice?

I don't really need advice as such.I just have to start keeping a record of my lifts and diet.At the minute I'm only benching 80kg and squatting 100 kg and I don't think its heavy enough,I'm just not tired after a session even with cardio.

I don't really need advice as such.I just have to start keeping a record of my lifts and diet.At the minute I'm only benching 80kg and squatting 100 kg and I don't think its heavy enough,I'm just not tired after a session even with cardio.

That was what I was saying above too. I do three sets per machine. Usually 15 operations per set (15 lifts, pushes, pulls whatever it is).

I did what my one trainer told me to do, which is select a weight that has you JUST at the point of struggling by number 15 in each set. So you start off ok but by the 15th you are pushing it.

But after a 1 hour session I do not feel like I have really _done_ anything. I come out feeling like I should really do another hour. Which I will now probably try and aim to do, but in my schedule 2 hours is a LOT harder to put into each session than 1, especially 3 times a week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Just curious but how do you do your squats? Maybe you do them right but I do see a lot of guys not going all the way down, i mean squats really should be taking everything out of you,after three sets of 5 or eight or whatever, especially with 100kg!

That was what I was saying above too. I do three sets per machine. Usually 15 operations per set (15 lifts, pushes, pulls whatever it is).

I did what my one trainer told me to do, which is select a weight that has you JUST at the point of struggling by number 15 in each set. So you start off ok but by the 15th you are pushing it.

But after a 1 hour session I do not feel like I have really _done_ anything. I come out feeling like I should really do another hour. Which I will now probably try and aim to do, but in my schedule 2 hours is a LOT harder to put into each session than 1, especially 3 times a week :(

If I was going 15 reps on big compound movements I'd half the weight. But yea the same principle applies.(Google progressive overload)

What is your programme like ? If your doing nothing but machines try free weights for a change.The machines do have their place but they fail to recruit stabilizer muscles which IMO doesn't make them great for overall development but they are useful when you want to isolate a muscle.

Take the bench press for example in my experience Dumbells are far superior to a barbell in this exercise because they recruit the stabilizers and the person benching has to physically hold the weight and stop it from moving around etc where as with the barbell the weight will be evenly spread out across the bar and the same principle would apply with a machine.

Also don't feel the need to stay in the gym for two hours If you don't have to your progress will really be down to your diet which despite what you read isn't rocket science. Eat three good balanced meals a day,avoid soft drinks and alcohol (I usually drink once a Month) and despite what you've being told fats aren't bad for you also the notion you have to eat 5 or 6 meals is rubbish as well Ain't nobody got time for that.

Just curious but how do you do your squats? Maybe you do them right but I do see a lot of guys not going all the way down, i mean squats really should be taking everything out of you,after three sets of 5 or eight or whatever, especially with 100kg!

Ass to Grass no one likes a half repper :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

5 mile run just under 50 mins this morning followed by refereeing GAA match

Changed my approach a bit on Saturday and it felt much better. Instead of doing three sets on one machine, while wasting time taking breaks between sets..... I did the machines in pairs. Picking machines that worked different muscles.

So no break time was "wasted". Rather I would do a set on one machine, jump to the other, then back.

So I was doing my sets in pairs of threes, that is 6 sets without breaks on each pair of machines.

Not only did I not leave after an hour feeling like I had hardly done anything at all, I actually had to stop at 55 minutes and I left feeling like every part of me had had a really good session. Felt pretty good all Sunday too, with some vague feelings here and there of muscles that were still recovering, and am looking forward to going back in tonight.

I have been letting things slip a little recently by staying in bed slightly later and thereby cutting my work out by 15 minutes.

Must do better

Joined gym this morning for 4 months

Getting training plan together in morning with staff

Left my gym since college and joined one close to work but haven't been able to do many sessions due to part laziness and part back pain which is becoming chronic at this stage, had to take a neurofen before my match on Sunday. I'm thinking of leaving the gym membership off and focusing on getting a yoga class in weekly as well as doing the foundation back training - it's all simple exercises that don't involve weights that is designed to strengthen stabilizing back muscles, found it helped me last year so going to go back to it.

Additionally I'm thinking of making an outlay of €100 on a simple bench and set of cast Iron dumbells which will allow me to do most of the main exercises I would do in the gym such as incline bench, single leg squats, leg raises etc. I already have a mat & pull up bar so I think I can cover a good workout routine using that equipment

I figure for the cost of 2 months membership to my old gym, I'll get more benefit and more done at home.

That said, if anybody has advice on home workouts I'm all ears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tasden wrote: »
    Good on everyone in this thread! I'm living through you guys and your progress this morning while I nurse a painful knee. Took up jogging before Christmas, was up every morning excited to go running even in the storms I was out with a dopey grin on my face, got my abs showing again, my legs looking great too, ate moderately over Christmas but then last week my knee started hurting, got worse after the next run so I stopped, seems I have "runners knee", I'm assuming I need gait analysis done once its healed so that I don't do more damage. Even my mood has changed in the past week not being able to get the run in. Keep up the good work everyone and hopefully I'll be posting with ye soon! :)

So I got my ass to a physio and got my anti pronation insoles moulded too, currently doing a leg workout to strengthen my quads, plan to start back running next week but until then my legs and bum are burning from the strengthening exercises :o
    Well done to everyone who is keeping it up!

Really annoyed as my fitness was improving but now an old knee strain has reappeared despite me doing all the right stretches etc before running. I think maybe it was because I was doing a bit everyday and not allowing recovery. So I am going to give it a weeks rest and try back on it next week. Having said that the last time it happened I had to stop for three months.
    I may take up a weights programme in the meantime so as not to fall back into bad habits.
    My appetite for the last week or so has been huge. I think my body is looking to get the cosy layer of fat back:D but all the Xmas weight is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Really annoyed as my fitness was improving but now an old knee strain has reappeared despite me doing all the right stretches etc before running. I think maybe it was because I was doing a bit everyday and not allowing recovery. So I am going to give it a weeks rest and try back on it next week. Having said that the last time it happened I had to stop for three months.
    I may take up a weights programme in the meantime so as not to fall back into bad habits.
    My appetite for the last week or so has been huge. I think my body is looking to get the cosy layer of fat back:D but all the Xmas weight is gone.

When I stopped running to rest a sore knee my appetite went through the roof!

I have now lost count of the number of people who tell me they love the gym but can not do certain things there any more due to what it has done to their knees, or it exacerbated problems they already have with their knees. It really is, for me anyway, every second person I discuss it with has some anecdote or other to tell about knee trouble.

It is starting to make me question the decision to go to the gym at all and worry about what damage the gym actually does to you.

That said I do not use the running machine at all. I use the bikes, cross trainer, and leg press. Aside from that all the machines I use are upper body lifting and pulling, no impacts. So hopefully the machines I actually use are low on the list of ones that cause long term strains and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

I have now lost count of the number of people who tell me they love the gym but can not do certain things there any more due to what it has done to their knees, or it exacerbated problems they already have with their knees. It really is, for me anyway, every second person I discuss it with has some anecdote or other to tell about knee trouble.

It is starting to make me question the decision to go to the gym at all and worry about what damage the gym actually does to you.

That said I do not use the running machine at all. I use the bikes, cross trainer, and leg press. Aside from that all the machines I use are upper body lifting and pulling, no impacts. So hopefully the machines I actually use are low on the list of ones that cause long term strains and injuries.

If it's every second person I'd guess it's more their form than the actual exercise.I've been using the gym for awhile now and the only damage I get is a few sore muscles the next day, you really have to nail down the right technique even if it means starting on the lightest possible weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mad question lads but whats the best underwear for running...no matter what I wear isn't comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I dont wear any as like yourself I just found it too uncomfortable. Get a couple of pairs of decent lined shorts.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mad question lads but whats the best underwear for running...no matter what I wear isn't comfortable

I always wear compression shorts when running. Only things that keep it all snug and avoid chafinf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

If it's every second person I'd guess it's more their form than the actual exercise.I've been using the gym for awhile now and the only damage I get is a few sore muscles the next day, you really have to nail down the right technique even if it means starting on the lightest possible weight.

I've dislocated both my knees and had operations in them in the past (nothing to do with the gym) since Ive gone to the gym no knee trouble and my max squat is 155kg. I would definitely say its down to their poor technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

D'Agger wrote: »
    That could only be a GAA trainers call

Hitting the gym after work this evening, resting tomorrow then match Sunday, first of the year so bound to be difficult
    Rugby training, never played the aul GAA myself, tuesday we had to train in 30mph winds with sleet and -4 temperatures :( hardest session ive ever had

• Advertisement

Or some people just have dodgey knees. Personally I used to get bad pain in my left knee due to not properly stretching before a run. But I fixed my running style and stretches and have had no problems for 6 or 7 years so am gutted for it to come back now.
    For an impact sport like running the quality of the treadmill would be a big deal as would the amount of roadwork you do where the roads are not even.

Had my best cardio session of the year last night at football training, we did a 2.5km jog for warmup before having to do three sets consisting of 3 parts

1) Run up a slight incline to the nearest cross and back as fast as possible i.e. under 4-5 mins
    2) Interval Room 1 (1 minute on, 25 seconds rest of Plank, Burpees, Step ups, weight loaded squats)
    3) Interval Room 2 (1 minute on, 25 seconds rest of Sit ups, hopping over and back a bollard, push ups, star jumps)

You got one minute to go from one room to the next / starting point of the run so very little recovery time throughout the session made it quite hard

It's the kind of training I really need for stamina/endurance - the hopping over and back, burpees and runs were killer especially with the incline but felt brilliant after the session.

Couple more of those sessions and I'll be in good stead.

First day back in gym this morning after seeing the physio. Gentle 15 minute run along with some weights. Knee still a bit dodgey but the physio seemed to think it needs to be managed rather than rested so gave me the green light.:)

Had my best cardio session of the year last night at football training, we did a 2.5km jog for warmup before having to do three sets consisting of 3 parts

1) Run up a slight incline to the nearest cross and back as fast as possible i.e. under 4-5 mins
    2) Interval Room 1 (1 minute on, 25 seconds rest of Plank, Burpees, Step ups, weight loaded squats)
    3) Interval Room 2 (1 minute on, 25 seconds rest of Sit ups, hopping over and back a bollard, push ups, star jumps)

You got one minute to go from one room to the next / starting point of the run so very little recovery time throughout the session made it quite hard

It's the kind of training I really need for stamina/endurance - the hopping over and back, burpees and runs were killer especially with the incline but felt brilliant after the session.

Couple more of those sessions and I'll be in good stead.
    So we did this again last night and then I had to go to work due to a powercut!

Didn't find it as hard as Mondays session but was still difficult!

Good session today

3 sets on Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Pulldown, Fly, Seated Row, Shoulder Shrugs, Bicep curls and Tricep Kickbacks

Lower body workout tomorrow morning

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good session today

3 sets on Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Pulldown, Fly, Seated Row, Shoulder Shrugs, Bicep curls and Tricep Kickbacks

Lower body workout tomorrow morning
    Those traps should be hurtin' tomorrow! WP

Those traps should be hurtin' tomorrow! WP

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did Insanity workout earlier and went to the gym after and did 5 different exercises for my forearm. Probably do insanity again tomorrow but take a rest from the gym.

Aggravated my knee once more and it has swollen up again, gah :mad:

Alternating between heavy and light weights seems to be working well overall though!

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    ?
    Trapezius muscles - you did a load of shoulder work, well played, sounds like a tough workout on the traps and shoulders.

Advertisement