Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

ah right thanks :)

finding shoulder press quite difficult even with relatively small weight

wrecked after session this morning

didn't get good night sleep last night which wasn't a good start and was up walls in work

bed early tonight i'd say

did 3 x leg extensions, leg curls, glutes, leg press, back extensions, heel lifts and step ups

one more session to be done before friday then week starts again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Been trying to keep to the gym but tough the last 2 weeks.

Going on avg. 4 days a week but working late and finding it had to eat healthy. Left work after 8 all days last week so by the time the gym came around was knackered so the sessions weren't great and too lazy to go do a shop and buy healthy.

I bought salads for din and had brown bread chicken sambos at lunch but its tough to control when tired and stressed and a manager right up your a**. Body and mind crashed at weekend. Rarely drink fizzy drinks (once every 3/4 weeks) but needed it to plough on the last few days. Did a half gym session on Saturday but body has been saying no. I do think its vital to listen to the body though and not just use it as an excuse.

With the increase in workload I have increased carbs to function but its hard to stay away from the sweet counter at the same time and now feel like I'm getting a gut (trousers is a little tight) though haven't gained any wait. Guessing thats the bloating from crap and extra carbs.

Back to no bad food and carb cycling in the morning!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always found lent to be a good motivator for healthy living. It is reasonable short (44 days) and there is a definite start date and end date. Last year I quit coffee and sweet stuff (cakes, drinks, biscuits etc) which was relatively easy. This year I will do the same but with the addition of at least 5 hours of exercise a week. Hopefully once I get my Easter eggs some good habits will have formed. If not then at least I have detoxed for a month and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Hectic mad week so been to the gym only last Monday. Next week should be back to normal schedule. Let's see the damage of a week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I always found lent to be a good motivator for healthy living. It is reasonable short (44 days) and there is a definite start date and end date. Last year I quit coffee and sweet stuff (cakes, drinks, biscuits etc) which was relatively easy. This year I will do the same but with the addition of at leat 5 hours of exercise a week. Hopefully once I get my Easter eggs some good habits will have formed. If not then at least I have detoxed for a month and a half.

Think I might try come up with something to ADD to lent rather than giving something up. Like doing a specific exercise each day for the whole 44 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Been back in the gym now for 3 weeks after a good 6 month break due to travelling and clinical placement. Now I've more time. I think my rotator cuff is arsed as I can't bench press more than 5 reps or my shoulder pops, which is frustrating. Going to go to the physio in college during the week all going well.

Deadlift is back up to a respectable 110kg and as of this morning my squat is back up to 90kg for 5x5. Before heading away they were both in the 130kg range so I'm happy enough with that progression in about 3 weeks. Could have went heavier but don't want to screw myself.

Considering taking up BJJ as I've read so much about it, hear it's also very humbling as you get your arse handed to you for a good 6 months. So will look into that during the week too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New best time in the parkrun this morning:) Have not run too much over the last few weeks with knee issues but the rest must have done me good. Lovely morning for it too. Still a long way to go to my goal of 24minutes but good step in the right direction today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Started doing the foundation back course & some weights and got a healthy shop in yesterday evening so well setup for this week.

Have a match tonight & another Wednesday so will hopefully get a light session Tuesday & heavy session Thursday, where possible I'll do another bit Friday but only I don't have something on Saturday

for some reason knees hurt today. not all time thankfully but still not right

reckon it could be after last lower body session i had

Leg curls are gettin hard to do. must check with staff if my positioning is right on the machine

Ice and bit of rest and hopefully problem will go away in a day or 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Haven't been to the gym In 2 wks, lost all my motivation,Think I'm burnt out :(,Finding college stressful enough atm too.Hopefully I'll get back to it sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Haven't been to the gym In 2 wks, lost all my motivation,Think I'm burnt out :(,Finding college stressful enough atm too.Hopefully I'll get back to it sooner rather than later.

I've had that before, it's a shítty feeling.
    Don't beat yourself up about it, stress breeds stress.
    Even go once or twice and do something easy and enjoyable without pressuring yourself into feeling like it has to be a tough work out.
    If nothing else, it'll be a good stress buster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just give yourself a timeframe for going back and stick to it. Give yourself say another 2 weeks off, that way you won't feel guilty about not going and when you go back do it on a day when you have nothing else planned that way you can't make the excuse of something else stopping you. When you do go back just do something you enjoy but really push yourself at it and you'll remember why you liked the gym in the first place.
    Well that's what works for me anyway.

Lent? Go min 4 times a week for the start of March to middle of April? Then gorge yourself on cream agg deliciousness for the weekend of Easter as a reward.

There is an Irish phrase that I use in this situation. Is triur and t-obair tus a cur. It means a third of the work is getting started. Arriving at the gym is a third of the task because once you're there you will do your work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Had one of those sessions when no matter what I tried I couldn't get motivated. Music on, off, loud, fast, slow, talking to myself, switching up what I was doing, nothing worked. Really frustrating when it happens for no good reason

Just back from 1 month assessment in gym program i'm doing

Program is meant to be about Losing Fat and Gaining Muscle

Down 1.6kg. Extremely disappointed with that as that is less than a lb a week

I do think i look better and feel better but was hoping that 4 sessions a week would result in better weight loss

I won't know mucle and fat % change for another 2 months tough so hoping that some fat loss and muscle gain accounts for so little weight off

Day 1 Leg Pres 1RM was 140. This time 155 so +15KG

Day 1 I did 12x110. Today I 34x1110. Was delighted with that but ideally i would have liked to keep going to 36

Day 1 Chest Press 1RM was 65. Today 70 so +5kg.

Day 1 Chest Press 11x50. Today 14x50

Find chest pres awkward enough. Must do better for month 2

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Has anyone tried alternating sessions between heavy weights @ low # of reps and light weights @ high # of reps?

I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now but I'm not sure how much of a benefit the light sessions are - I'm pushing to failure but my muscles seem fine after a day or two after a light session, whereas it takes two or three days with heavy.

Have been thinking of switching to 2 heavy sessions for every 1 light, instead of 1 for 1.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

If you are building muscle at the same time as losing fat you will not lose weight as muscle is heavier than fat.
    I wouldn't worry about weight loss if I were you. Fat loss will come with a healthy lifestyle. Feeling better internally and externally is more important.

yeah that's true

not worried about it but had hoped to see more of result

at least i had progress in strength tests

back to training sunday for month 2

GAA training back Tuesday as well so extra cardio won't hurt either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Had a good workout last evening. Did 17km on the bike in 60 minutes and some weights.

In the mornings I've been setting my alarm 15 minutes early and getting up and doing some exercising, stomach crunches, lunges, light yoga etc before I shower. I find it really sets me up for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Not seeing a whole lot of progress in my strength in the gym yet at all. But at least by figure, especially around the beer belly area, is trimming up slowly, steadily but nicely.

Not sure what tricks I can employ to progress a little in the strength area though. I use a few machines for this and am stuck mainly around the 25KG weights on all of them. With little progress.

The "Reverse Butterfly" machine is the hardest for me. I have dropped back to 20 on that but even then I find my hands hurt after doing it. Maybe I am doing it wrong somehow but observation of other users has not lent any revelation :) But my hands get a little RSI type feeling in them after using that machine.

Strength in legs progressing surprisingly fast though. I have always had strong legs but I find I am LegPressing 30KG more already than when I started in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Strength in legs progressing surprisingly fast though. I have always had strong legs but I find I am LegPressing 30KG more already than when I started in January.
    Same. I've always had strong legs as well so it's no great effort to top up the weight. But my knees are getting cranky... :(

Strength I had on my arms seems to have disappeared though. It's ok for pulling, but pushing like the chest press machine... can be a struggle.

Due to hectic work / college schedule I've been twice to the gym in the last couple of weeks. I'm going back today. I'm not a gym slave but long periods of inactivity pay its toll.

I've been improving steadily but I think the gains are slowing down now; though that may be influenced by doing my last session hungover and thus seeing no improvement at all. I'd say I've improved my weight totals by about 60% since January in most (upper body) exercises.

Lower body's still a disaster but that's because of my poxy knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I run and cycle. Currently aiming for 30 half marathons this year before 18th August when I turn 30.
    Cover about 7,000km a year on the bike. Also play volleyball for about 4 hours a week Autumn-Spring, just not in summer. Just started mountain biking a little bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i recently joined bootcamp. Up until about 6 months ago i was playing 5 a side regularly, once mostly twice a week.

I knew i wasn't fit, but by jesus, bootcamp is tough going. and i LOVE IT!!! :D

Sauve wrote: »
    So what do you do? What gets your blood pumping?

A few things for me. I own a wolf I imported from the US and keeping him fit has in turn spurred me into having to keep fit. I get up before work every morning and do an hour long run with him. After work to give him a sprint I do another hour of cycling with him running along side.

Other than that I do Capoeira with my girlfriends. This is intense on the muscles and for all over fitness. I heartily recommend it. It is also a good party piece at time when the three of us do a routine together. So get to show off a lot using that one.

Other than that I do Brazilian JuJitsu with the girls too. Not as demanding physically but demanding on flexibility, focus, blanace and training. So a nice balance for the other things I do.

Other than that - gardening is pretty physical a lot of the time. Certainly gets things pumping and pouring.
    Are you happy with your level of fitness or do you need to make improvements?

Pretty happy but I tend to aim to better myself a little tiny bit every day. Find your limits and push them is always my motto so I try to, even if it is only a tiny tiny push further each day. It all adds up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Slightly off topic, but one thing I've noticed is that having a reasonably thick neck will give the impression that you're bigger than what you really are.

Got photo'd by the irish Times on Saturday morning at the parkrun :)

Pic of me on page 15 of the Health Fitness supplement :pac:. I would have smiled if I wasn't absolutely wrecked at that point.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Down 1.6kg. Extremely disappointed with that as that is less than a lb a week

I do think i look better and feel better but was hoping that 4 sessions a week would result in better weight loss

I won't know mucle and fat % change for another 2 months tough so hoping that some fat loss and muscle gain accounts for so little weight off

Day 1 Leg Pres 1RM was 140. This time 155 so +15KG

Day 1 I did 12x110. Today I 34x1110. Was delighted with that but ideally i would have liked to keep going to 36

Day 1 Chest Press 1RM was 65. Today 70 so +5kg.

Day 1 Chest Press 11x50. Today 14x50

Find chest pres awkward enough. Must do better for month 2

Month 2 Asssessment today

Up 0.3kg not bad

Leg Press 1RM up 5kg to 160

I did 50 x 110 reps as well. Huge improvement there

On chest Press up 7.5 kg to 77.5 for 1RM

I did 16 x 50 so up 2 Reps

Happy enough with that

Unfortunately elbow is beginning to bother me so that might curtail weight increases over next few weeks

In a moment of madness I signed up for the Brian Boru 10 mile run in Clontarf on April 21st:eek:. Have never attempted that distance before but did a 10K last week so thought I would have time to build up to it.
    Tried 12K this morning and I am sore sore sore. Dreading next Wednesday when I need to push up the distance a bit more.

• Advertisement

Sweet Lord 10 miles was tough. I would be lying if I said I didn't stop to walk every now and then but my preparation was less than ideal but I ran at least 15 of the kilometres.
    24 hours on and my feet and knees are in paaaaiiiinnnn.

As it was a special occasion I wore a nice new white running top. I never had a problem with chafing before but lesson learned. I had 2 nicely visible nipple marks by the end of the race:D. Mental note, next time bring vaseline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

As it was a special occasion I wore a nice new white running top.
    Oh no :(

First rule of racing broken right there, nothing new on race day!

Well done PR - 10 miles is a tough race!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Well done PR - 10 miles is a tough race!

Well race in the loosest sense of the term. I was one of the plodders at the back. The leader (who was a Kenyan lad) lapped me like I was standing still :D. Still longest distance I have ever run. We are already talking about doing a half marathon in Killarney in July which I should be able to prepare better for (hopefully minus the bronchitis).

Well race in the loosest sense of the term. I was one of the plodders at the back. The leader (who was a Kenyan lad) lapped me like I was standing still :D. Still longest distance I have ever run. We are already talking about doing a half marathon in Killarney in July which I should be able to prepare better for (hopefully minus the bronchitis).
    Hmmm....I might try to do that half marathon if I'm fit and football doesn't interfere. Would be good training for me because my stamina is shocking!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hmmm....I might try to do that half marathon if I'm fit and football doesn't interfere. Would be good training for me because my stamina is shocking!

Looking at the course the first few miles seem relatively easy as they are downhill http://www.runkillarneymarathon.com/files/Half-Marathon-Route-Map.pdf with no corresponding uphill part.

• Advertisement

Looking at the course the first few miles seem relatively easy as they are downhill http://www.runkillarneymarathon.com/files/Half-Marathon-Route-Map.pdf with no corresponding uphill part.
    Wow, yeah that is pretty much all downhill - not that there's anything easy about running a half marathon!! Even running from Torc to the Gleneagle - there's only one brief hill on that road and barring that it's pretty much all flat road

Really pleased with myself today.

Completed study i was doing

Weight 87.2 kg. Was 88.1kg

Body fat down 2.4%. still high but that can be worked on

Lean Muscle +1.6%

Chest Press 1RM 82.5kg +5kg. Overall +17.5kg

24 x 50kg +8Reps. Overall +13Reps

Leg Press 1Rm 175kg +15kg. Overall +35kg

75 x 110 +25Reps. Overall +63Reps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Seeing as there isn't on already on the go here, I thought it'd be an idea to start a general fitness thread for all sports/activities.

So what do you do? What gets your blood pumping?

Are you happy with your level of fitness or do you need to make improvements?

Any goals lined up that you're going to smash through?

very much into bodybuilding. working out a few years now but only the last year made real gains with good nutrition and training. workout 4 days a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Have struggled to get back into the gym this year. Extra hours in work hasn't helped but hours back to normal now and hoping to lose a stone fairly quickly. Any good tips? Will be hitting the gym 3/4 times a week and cutting back on sweet foods. May try give up my few weekend beers too. Don't want to be overweight for summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Have struggled to get back into the gym this year. Extra hours in work hasn't helped but hours back to normal now and hoping to lose a stone fairly quickly. Any good tips? Will be hitting the gym 3/4 times a week and cutting back on sweet foods. May try give up my few weekend beers too. Don't want to be overweight for summer

I lost two stone through cleaning my diet. I didn't exercise any more than my usual work routine.

You need to stick with it. Beers have to go if you're serious about it.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any recommendations for a fairly comprehensive arms / chest & back / shoulders programme? At the moment I'm just doing all of them in the same session and I'm thinking perhaps I should split them into separate days?

So what is the normal effect of STOPPING going to the gym for a time?

When I started I started at doing 1 hour a day three days a week. (Tuesday, Thursday and either Sat/Sun usually). I noticed some progress, but not huge, and was enjoying it.

Then when the new baby came I stopped for about 5 weeks on my paternal leave. I went back yesterday. Expecting SOME regression I started on the same machines, at the same settings/weights, as I was on Day 1 in the gym. Rather than trying to pick up at the level where I had left off.

It was a total shock to the system. I seemed to be LESS fit yesterday then before I ever started the gym at all. I could not complete the 1 hour. I could not complete the third set on most of the machines I was using. And through the whole experience I was fighting off a mild feeling of nausea that persisted until about 45 minutes after I left the gym.

So it seems that not only have I regressed, I have ended up WORSE off then if I had never started. I can only hope that progress is swift when you do get back into things. But is it normal that if you ever get into going to the gym that stopping means not just regression to where you started, but worse off than where you started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So what is the normal effect of STOPPING going to the gym for a time?

When I started I started at doing 1 hour a day three days a week. (Tuesday, Thursday and either Sat/Sun usually). I noticed some progress, but not huge, and was enjoying it.

Then when the new baby came I stopped for about 5 weeks on my paternal leave. I went back yesterday. Expecting SOME regression I started on the same machines, at the same settings/weights, as I was on Day 1 in the gym. Rather than trying to pick up at the level where I had left off.

It was a total shock to the system. I seemed to be LESS fit yesterday then before I ever started the gym at all. I could not complete the 1 hour. I could not complete the third set on most of the machines I was using. And through the whole experience I was fighting off a mild feeling of nausea that persisted until about 45 minutes after I left the gym.

So it seems that not only have I regressed, I have ended up WORSE off then if I had never started. I can only hope that progress is swift when you do get back into things. But is it normal that if you ever get into going to the gym that stopping means not just regression to where you started, but worse off than where you started?

To be honest, it doesn't seem normal to me. I did stop completely a couple of times over the last seven years, once for a couple of months and another time for almost 6 months, but, whenever I picked it up again, I had certainly lost a lot of form but never went back to the "couch potato" level I was at before starting the exercise routine.

Could it be that other than not going to the gym you have been, in general, much less active during your leave than you normally are?

Sometimes I just have off days where I am crap at the gym. Try again tomorrow and see how you get on. Could be that you have not been eating properly or not taking enough water or not sleeping properly or any number of reasons

I do not think there was much change in my general activity during that time. Perhaps it even went UP because rather than spending 8 hours at my desk in work, I have been working 4 hours a day and playing with my older child for the other 4. Which is a mix of outdoors and playgrounds, and play time on the floor at home.

Suffering today a bit too. Back of arms and back of calves really feel yesterdays work out. But I will hit it again tomorrow and see if it improves any.

Finally got around to doing up a weights programme for myself today. Sweet Lord I can't feel my arms:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Anyone recommend a gym in Dublin? I'd usually train in the mornings so I'm hoping to find somewhere that wouldn't be too busy in the morning. Trying to get started powerlifting etc. heard RAW conditioning might be good, anyone know what it's like?

I was a member of Raw for a year. It is pretty much dedicated to weights with only a slight nod given to cardio equipment, so if it is weights you want it is probably the place for you. It depends what time of the morning you are talking about that will determine how busy it is. Call up and they will show you around. You will probably be able to ask for a 'sample' too.
    I am currently in flyefit/ They have a weights area too. They will also give you a free sample.

Finally got around to doing up a weights programme for myself today. Sweet Lord I can't feel my arms:eek:
    What's the programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Anyone recommend a gym in Dublin? I'd usually train in the mornings so I'm hoping to find somewhere that wouldn't be too busy in the morning. Trying to get started powerlifting etc. heard RAW conditioning might be good, anyone know what it's like?

Raw is awesome. It can be crowded at certain times but there's always something to do and you're not waiting around too long

• Advertisement
Advertisement