Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was a member of Raw for a year. It is pretty much dedicated to weights with only a slight nod given to cardio equipment, so if it is weights you want it is probably the place for you. It depends what time of the morning you are talking about that will determine how busy it is. Call up and they will show you around. You will probably be able to ask for a 'sample' too.
    I am currently in flyefit/ They have a weights area too. They will also give you a free sample.

Thanks a mil will check those out, the place I'm now is nice but way too crowded, I'd be willing to pay more for somewhere decent now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I joined a new gym closer to my home on Tuesday, haven't been since February due to stressing out about college exams and worrying about other things going on, now that there over with, hopefully I can get back on track, I have a fitness assessment tomorrow :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I joined a new gym closer to my home on Tuesday, haven't been since February due to stressing out about college exams and worrying about other things going on, now that there over with, hopefully I can get back on track, I have a fitness assessment tomorrow :).
    Best of luck with it, hope it goes well!

Back to proper training this week after a 4 week lay off with a rib injury. I did nothing but rest for the 4 weeks so I played the last 20mins of a match Monday & went for a 6km jog yesterday with 5 x 50m sprints for a finish in the park next to my house

My lung capacity is awful but there's only one way to get it back and it's to train consistently, avoid injury and look after myself so I'm stretching, not going into weights until next week to avoid over doing it, and I've training tomorrow & a match Saturday and should be hitting the gym next week for bike work and swimming

With a bit of luck I should be close to full fitness in 2-3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I am at least back to the level I was before the parental leave break. But I am still surprised at the total lack of ANY progress in my body strength. I have been talking with people who started after me and have progressed massively. While I recognise gym stuff is not something you should compare your standards against others, for many reasons, it is still a surprise that I have not progressed at all.

The weights I can do on the leg press have near doubled since I started but I have always been strong in the legs. I will not give exact numbers just relative ones but the gym trainer started me off around 80kilo on the leg press and I am up to 140 now. Meanwhile on all the arm machines.... your forward and reverse butterflies, your pulling and pushing and all that machines..... I have been around 25kilo since day one and have failed any attempt to up this weight at all.

Meanwhile my endurance on the bikes and cross trainers is similarly unaltered in any way.

Thinking I may fork out for a couple of sessions with a real fully professional trainer to see how and where I am going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

YourFitness in Harolds Cross has everything you need weights wise and enough cardio machines too and is a lot less than RAW with off peak membership only €120 a year.

Early morning you have the freedom of the place more or less.

I am at least back to the level I was before the parental leave break. But I am still surprised at the total lack of ANY progress in my body strength. I have been talking with people who started after me and have progressed massively. While I recognise gym stuff is not something you should compare your standards against others, for many reasons, it is still a surprise that I have not progressed at all.

The weights I can do on the leg press have near doubled since I started but I have always been strong in the legs. I will not give exact numbers just relative ones but the gym trainer started me off around 80kilo on the leg press and I am up to 140 now. Meanwhile on all the arm machines.... your forward and reverse butterflies, your pulling and pushing and all that machines..... I have been around 25kilo since day one and have failed any attempt to up this weight at all.

Meanwhile my endurance on the bikes and cross trainers is similarly unaltered in any way.

Thinking I may fork out for a couple of sessions with a real fully professional trainer to see how and where I am going wrong.
    Might not be a bad idea to go with a trainer alright

This isn't meant as a slight against you - but it could be a mental issue - if you're looking for gains, and thinking about it alot then it can consume you and you can get down when you're not seeing gains. My suggestion would be to work on your weaknesses more than your strengths. I'm not saying lay off leg day, but if you're saying that your arms, back or chest aren't progressing, along with your stamina, then look to work on these a bit more.

Try a different stamina medium - i.e. use a rowing machine over a bike - this will help tone your shoulders and arms to an extent. Get on weights that will allow you to build the stamina of your muscles i.e. do three sets of 30 reps for two weeks, then look to get back to heavier weights that you can do 3x8-12 reps

/Two Cents

Well actually increase in strenght was at the bottom of my list of targets when I started. Weight loss around the stomach was highest prio. Some increase in endurance was second. And actual physical strength was just an afterthought. But having said that it simply sticks out in my mind that I have not seen any actual progress in that area, and despite it not being a target or a priority, I am starting to notice it.

I will try the switch to a rowing machine from the bike, and looking at doing longer lighter sets than shorter heavier ones. Ta.

Others might have better advice but I find doing three bouts of 2000m on the rowing machine where you row normally for 500m and hammer it out for 500m is really good fitness training - good quality intervals :)

All the best with it either way, be sure to keep us posted on how you're faring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Started the work out in Joe Monganiello's "Evolution". It is 6 days a week for 6 weeks. I finished day 5 this morning. Pretty intense workouts!

Anyone else given that a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Started the reddit bodyweight beginners routine from fitloop.co at the beginning of the week and looking forward to keeping up with it and improving on all the bits and pieces. Anyone given this a go?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Started the work out in Joe Monganiello's "Evolution". It is 6 days a week for 6 weeks. I finished day 5 this morning. Pretty intense workouts!

Anyone else given that a go?
    Bawnmore wrote: »
    Started the reddit bodyweight beginners routine from fitloop.co at the beginning of the week and looking forward to keeping up with it and improving on all the bits and pieces. Anyone given this a go?

Haven't heard of either but I'll be sure to check them out now

Be sure to give updates on how you're finding it over the next few weeks though, would be interested to see how difficult it might be to sustain etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Was doing well with trainer but got moved to Stockholm with work. 4 weeks of no training caus of bros wedding, tonsilitis and living out of hotels makes it hard to eat clen.

Gym is work is unreal and never more than 4 people in it. On a 5 week bulking/strength workout from trainer. Hit Beastmode today after being back a week. Would have set off the Lunk alarm in planet fitness with the noises :p. 4 days weights and 2 days of HIIT training.

Thanks fuack for muscle memory. Body responded really well and eating clen starts tomorrow so ribs and a pint for dinner tonight :)..

Back on protein, casein and creatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

D'Agger wrote: »

Be sure to give updates on how you're finding it over the next few weeks though, would be interested to see how difficult it might be to sustain etc.

Going well after week one - kick off week 2 this evening. Based around bodyweight activities so pushups, rows, handstands etc. and is a set routine 3 times weekly. Takes about 45 - 60 mins in total. Will keep posted here.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Going well after week one - kick off week 2 this evening. Based around bodyweight activities so pushups, rows, handstands etc. and is a set routine 3 times weekly. Takes about 45 - 60 mins in total. Will keep posted here.
    Glad to hear it's going well! :)

I'm hoping to return to weights next week - I'm working on fitness this week and I've alot of training for football mon-fri, in addition to a game Saturday & a game Sunday

• Advertisement

Manganiello's workout is basically 3 different rounds of exercises, each round comprising of 2 moves targeting certain muscle groups. I used to work each once a week (workout 4 days a week) but this workout is pretty intense, in that it is 6 days a week for a full hour. 50 second gaps between rounds in order to keep the heart rate up.

I'm pretty much eating paleo food wise. I've started week 2 of six yesterday so will keep ya posted!

Manganiello's workout is basically 3 different rounds of exercises, each round comprising of 2 moves targeting certain muscle groups. I used to work each once a week (workout 4 days a week) but this workout is pretty intense, in that it is 6 days a week for a full hour. 50 second gaps between rounds in order to keep the heart rate up.

I'm pretty much eating paleo food wise. I've started week 2 of six yesterday so will keep ya posted!
    What I had been doing was something along the same lines - circuits that would incorporate core & one of the three groups I would work - either Chest & Arms, Back & Shoulders or legs

I'd do that three times a week and I'd have training/games three times a week also. Trying to maintain 6 sessions a week isn't going to work long term, so the injury allowed me to relax for a bit so now looking to get back into it.

My diet I've been very happy with, plenty of protein, complex carbs - only eating simple carbs after training to aid the protein and replenish stores of glycogen quickly if I've trained late. The main thing that's helped has been giving up chocolate & crisps - eating properly healthy salads with beef, turkey etc. and fruit for lunch. The other thing I'd advocate is drinking green tea instead of normal tea - some honey thrown in makes it tastier and healthier too I find!

Other than that cooking with coconut oil and looking up healthy snacks like almonds instead of peanuts etc. - goes a long way towards trimming down BF% I've found - despite not doing a huge amount of weights or exercises lately - my diet has allowed me to stay fairly trim

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Starting my first bulk,got some great advice off a gym instructor today,anyone in here any advice for someone starting there first bulk?

Starting my first bulk,got some great advice off a gym instructor today,anyone in here any advice for someone starting there first bulk?
    I've nothing to add on it but I'd be looking to bulk during winter if you're willing to share what you've learned so far? I haven't even looked at it slightly

He basically went through what foods to eat,so plenty of proteins,carbs,fats,eat regularly (every 3 hrs at least) aim for 2/3 litres of water a day, I'd say say I'm gonna be cooking a lot more :D

• Advertisement

He basically went through what foods to eat,so plenty of proteins,carbs,fats,eat regularly (every 3 hrs at least) aim for 2/3 litres of water a day, I'd say say I'm gonna be cooking a lot more :D
    Slow cookers seem to be a regular purchase for people who work out alot so might be worth checking out if you want to cook large volumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

What does everyone recommend is the best cardio exercise for weight loss esp around the stomach and chest? Have put on a few pounds recently which i want to lose asap before my hols

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cardio won't be enough for you. You should combine cardio with a healthier diet and some trunk work.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    What does everyone recommend is the best cardio exercise for weight loss esp around the stomach and chest? Have put on a few pounds recently which i want to lose asap before my hols
    What Pawwed Rig has said

Focus on your diet, do some cardio - swimming is the best, I find rowing very tough, after that jogging & cycling seem level enough. If you're doing cardio and minding the diet then if it's going well then you can step it up a notch by adding in stretching and core work

I would say to start off doing stretching & core work but the fact is, alot of people try to change too much too soon and quickly lose interest/motivation - the key is to look to make changes, incorporate them and then stick to them, at least that's what I've found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

ulinbac wrote: »
    Was doing well with trainer but got moved to Stockholm with work. 4 weeks of no training caus of bros wedding, tonsilitis and living out of hotels makes it hard to eat clen.

Gym is work is unreal and never more than 4 people in it. On a 5 week bulking/strength workout from trainer. Hit Beastmode today after being back a week. Would have set off the Lunk alarm in planet fitness with the noises :p. 4 days weights and 2 days of HIIT training.

Thanks fuack for muscle memory. Body responded really well and eating clen starts tomorrow so ribs and a pint for dinner tonight :)..

Back on protein, casein and creatine.

If you're eating clen I wouldn't worry muscle memory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Dont go nuts, you wont gain more muscle eating 1000 cals over maintenance than sticking with 300 to 500 over... you'll just get fat as fook, you don't want to dreamer bulk. Count cals on my fitnesspal.com, very handy and easy to use.

You cant spot reduce fat, stick to high intensity work, plodding along on the treadmill for 30 mins isnt good enough, compare sprinters to endurance athletes... one is jacked and ripped, the other looks like they escaped from Auschwitz, skinny weak frail... you don't want that. You dont have to run tho, 250 meters on the rowing machine all out with a minutes rest, repeat x 8, give it a go.

Good thread, good to see lads taking an interest in looking after themselves, fairplay. If i don't bench 180 in 2 months i will be a very angry boy, anyone else with strength goals?

If you're eating clen I wouldn't worry muscle memory!

Hope hes trenning hard with all that clen eating, stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

jugger0 wrote: »
    Dont go nuts, you wont gain more muscle eating 1000 cals over maintenance than sticking with 300 to 500 over... you'll just get fat as fook, you don't want to dreamer bulk. Count cals on my fitnesspal.com, very handy and easy to use.

You cant spot reduce fat, stick to high intensity work, plodding along on the treadmill for 30 mins isnt good enough, compare sprinters to endurance athletes... one is jacked and ripped, the other looks like they escaped from Auschwitz, skinny weak frail... you don't want that. You dont have to run tho, 250 meters on the rowing machine all out with a minutes rest, repeat x 8, give it a go.

Good thread, good to see lads taking an interest in looking after themselves, fairplay. If i don't bench 180 in 2 months i will be a very angry boy, anyone else with strength goals?

should i do similar short sharp bursts on the bike and treadmill

I wish there was an outdoor gym near where I live

The equipment would get really rusty, really quick I'd imagine! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Also the 11 months of the year where noone would go to it would probably not a sustainable business make :pac:

Also the 11 months of the year where noone would go to it would probably not a sustainable business make :pac:
    It'd be pretty cool if you had a gym that could open back the room or something but you'd need a ball of capital for that kind of setup!

But.............

*throws business plan to open out door gym out the window*

My trainer recommended heading down to the local tennis court.

Start at one end and sprint full speed to the other end.

Then walk back to the place you started.

Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes.

The heart will work hard to regulate and you will burn calories that way.

There is - it is called "The World" :-p

There is - it is called "The World" :-p

-_-

Yes 30 seconds all out, rest 2-3 mins repeat 8 times... if you haven't done this before take it handy maybe 4 bursts with more rest, build it up.

Starting to see some results now.

What is really helping is the food diary. I have an excel sheet in work and fill it in during the day and email my weekend meals on saturday and friday to myself so I can fill them in on Monday.

On a seperate worksheet I have the approx. Calories (google the calories) of everyhting I eat and just input numbers with a total at the end of day.

Its good to see where you are slippingwhen you are being honest to yourself as it is easy to leave out wrong foods and pretend you didnt eat them.

I find myself hungry on days with low protein but not hungry at all on high protein days. Trying to keep calorie intake around 2200 but take i proper fats, carbs etc. My biggest meal of the day is lunch and snacking on fruit and nuts.

Sttength and lean mass is up, so its getting there but will take another 3 weeks of getting to bed earlier and no drink before hitting major goals.

Starting to see some results now.

What is really helping is the food diary. I have an excel sheet in work and fill it in during the day and email my weekend meals on saturday and friday to myself so I can fill them in on Monday.

On a seperate worksheet I have the approx. Calories (google the calories) of everyhting I eat and just input numbers with a total at the end of day.

Its good to see where you are slippingwhen you are being honest to yourself as it is easy to leave out wrong foods and pretend you didnt eat them.

I find myself hungry on days with low protein but not hungry at all on high protein days. Trying to keep calorie intake around 2200 but take i proper fats, carbs etc. My biggest meal of the day is lunch and snacking on fruit and nuts.

Sttength and lean mass is up, so its getting there but will take another 3 weeks of getting to bed earlier and no drink before hitting major goals.

Myfitnesspal.com is an online food diary which also counts calories and macros, might be of use to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Get a heart rate monitor. A decent one.
    Subtract your Age from 180.
    This is your aerboic threshold.
    Spend any cardio working at this heart rate (to 10 beats per minute and under).

You will be surprised how slow you would need to go.
    You'll develop your body to use fat as fuel.
    If you're over this number with a HR monitor then you're burning sugar.

This and eating clean (think Paleo) and you will lean out.

First of all, loads of great different ways of cardio on here already so just adding my 2 cents of what I do

Row Machine: 2 min warm up then 30 seconds full pelt and 30 second rest for 10 mins. You will be dead after that if your not used to it :) then move up to 15mins. After that 10 Sprints of 15/20 metres. Sprint, walk back, count to 10 then Sprint.

At present I am doing this:
    Warm up on treadmill for 2 min

Set:: Jumping Squat, Jumping Lunge, Press-Up Burpee with Jump and Tuck, Press-Ups.

Do as many of each exercise for 20 seconds with 10 second rest between each. So do as many jumping squats as you can in 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then on to, jumping lunges.

30 seconds rest between each set and rinse and repeat 3 more times.

I guess pick one from all of the replies which you think will suit uou best.

but dont forget "TO FEEL THE BURN" :D

First run today after damaging my big toe at Hell & Back. I kept it light doing only 20 minutes but the toe felt fine. It is still sore when I pull at it but the limping is gone. Will push it a bit tomorrow and see how it holds up. Not much time left to train for the half marathon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

was all set for decent session earlier

was aiming to get up to 10k on cardio

got to 4 and was feeling sore so stopped

got weight session in instead

on plus side 4 lbs to go until i reach 1 or my goals for yr

hoping i will get there in next month

Getting to the end of the 6 week workout now.

It is now not sustainable. Its still a 6 week workout, but he recommends a 45 min cardio first thing and then weight training (sessions approx 1.5 hours) in the evenings... Sorry bud - I don't have that amount of time!

I've put on some muscle, but can't tell if I would have doing the regular "each body part once a week" and lifting heavier.

Getting to the end of the (actually) 5 week workout now.

It is now not sustainable. Its still a 6 week workout, but he recommends a 45 min cardio first thing and then weight training (sessions approx 1.5 hours) in the evenings... Sorry bud - I don't have that amount of time!

I've put on some muscle, but can't tell if I would have doing the regular "each body part once a week" and lifting heavier.

Last day of it tomorrow - 2 hours it took to complete the back and chest routine today. He also says another 45 mins of cardio beforehand, so unless you can do cardio before work and then weights 6 times a week in the evenings, its not a runner IMO

• Advertisement

Last day of it tomorrow - 2 hours it took to complete the back and chest routine today. He also says another 45 mins of cardio beforehand, so unless you can do cardio before work and then weights 6 times a week in the evenings, its not a runner IMO

What results have you seen in the last 6 weeks?

What results have you seen in the last 6 weeks?

measurements to be done tomorrow so time will tell. It is hard to notice when you see yourself every day :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Didn't warm up properly last night and knackered my trapezius doing a tricep pull-down. ****ing ow. :(

Didn't warm up properly last night and knackered my trapezius doing a tricep pull-down. ****ing ow. :(
    Water bottle that bad boy to keep it loose Pepe! Do it for a couple of days

All the best with it either way, be sure to keep us posted on how you're faring

Will do :)
    Try a different stamina medium - i.e. use a rowing machine over a bike - this will help tone your shoulders and arms to an extent. Get on weights that will allow you to build the stamina of your muscles i.e. do three sets of 30 reps for two weeks, then look to get back to heavier weights that you can do 3x8-12 reps

So I followed some of your advice and it appears to be working.

I have not gone for the rowing machine yet. Keep meaning to but just havent gotten to it.

But I reduced my weights on all machines by 20%, increase the time between sets by 50% (30 seconds more), but doubled the number of reps per set. So for example on one machine I have moved from 3x15repsx25Kilo to 3x30repx20 kilo.

Weight loss is looking great. At the start of the year I was fluctuating between 72.4 and 74.5. Now every morning I am between 64.5 and 66. Nice. nor all of it from the belly area alas, but still. I have had two girls comment on some weight loss in my face :)

But with the strength progress I am noticing some improvements. Small, but some. for example one of the machines I could barely do 3x15repsx25Kilo, that I moved to 3x30repx20 kilo I now find I am doing 3x30repsx25Kilo! Which means I am there back to my original weight, but capable of twice the reps! Nice.

I dropped back on the Leg press from 3 x 15 x 133kilo to 3 x 30 x 93kilo since my last post too. But now I find I am doing 3x30 there but in sets of 93, then 101, then 117.

Still using the cross trainer and bike to start and end the sessions. I might exchange the bike for the rowing machine soon. The bike is a bit superflous because 90% of the time when I finish the gym I actually cycle home (9km) so using the bike in the gym is somewhat pointless.

So yea, progress. Slow, but at least I am SEEING it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement