Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding an Irish poem/verse/song

• 24-11-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello!

My grandfather speaks Irish and learned it in school. However, he lives far away from me and is getting quite old and his memory is starting to go. He always recited this certain thing to me in Irish every time I see him. I don't know the Irish words but he told me the English translation:

"Now comes the Spring. The days are growing longer. And after the feast of St. Bridget, I will raise my sail. And I will put it in my mind that I will not hesitate until I stand in County Mayo."

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me any help about where I could find the Irish words to this. He told me he thinks it came from a song, so if you know the title of the song or the tune or or where I can find that, even better! Since it is something he learned in school I believe it would be in the old spelling.

Go raibh maith agat!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Cill Aodáin is the name of the poem by Antaine Ó Raiftéirí....

Anois teacht an Earraigh
    beidh an lá dúl chun síneadh,
    Is tar éis na féil Bríde
    ardóidh mé mo sheol.
    Go Coillte Mach rachad
    ní stopfaidh me choíche
    Go seasfaidh mé síos
    i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo."

It is available on many sites....copied the first verse for you but I notice alot of spelling errors in this version....

Anyway hope it helps....haven't time now to make corrections.

Advertisement