Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lowering attic floor - how and cost

Options
  • 24-11-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hiya,

We are sale agreed on a detached bungalow and we hope to turn the attic into habitable bedrooms with a rear facing dormer.

However, the ridge line is quite low(<6m above FFL) and cannot be raised significantly (max 125mm) due to local planning restrictions.

There are about 70 houses in the area with exactly the same layout and based on local planning applications we can see that some neighbours have dropped the attic floor level 400 - 500mm in order to create a habitable space in the attic.

We already knew we would likely need to replace the roof in any case.

Could anyone give me an rough idea of what extra work and cost would be involved in dropping the ceiling?

The roof is about 100 square meters and is hipped.

Thank you for your help,

Slip

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

slipstream wrote: »
    1. we can see that some neighbours have dropped the attic floor level 400 - 500mm in order to create a habitable space in the attic.
    2. Could anyone give me an rough idea of what extra work and cost would be involved in dropping the ceiling?
    1. how do you know this?
    2. what did your neighbors do?
    3. what did it cost them?
    4. what is the ground floor to ceiling height currently?
    5. please factor in a structural engineers report no mater what way you approach this

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

hi bryanf,

thanks for getting back to me.

firstly note that i do plan using an arch/arch tech/structural engineer etc.

however, i wanted to get an idea of the additional complexities and cost and involved in lowering the attic floor as i havent been able to find out much about doing this online. the closest i've found is the use of tie-backs in one and a half storey buildings in the homebond house builders manual.
    slipstream wrote: »
    we can see that some neighbours have dropped the attic floor level 400 - 500mm in order to create a habitable space in the attic.
    BryanF wrote: »
    how do you know this?

in some cases the planning applications have included this information in the application details and in their sections.
    what did your neighbors do?
    what did it cost them?
    we do plan on talking to the neighbours but wanted a rough idea of what was involved first to see if this was a viable and affordable option.
    what is the ground floor to ceiling height currently?
    2.85m.

thanks again for your help

colm

Advertisement