If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Advice

Options
  • 24-11-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi, just looking for some advice,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I know there are existing forums about this and lots of different views, but I really just want to get some opinions on LED TVs, [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]A salesperson has done a great job convincing me (so far) to buy an LG 55la860 / 55la8600. But I have no experience with anything other than plasmas, bottom line is I’m afraid of spending a lot of money if I’m going to be disappointed, This is where I really need some opinions,[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Screen uniformity on LED is really frightening me. Friends LCD shows [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20088479-1/is-lcd-and-led-lcd-hdtv-uniformity-a-problem/[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] bottom right example. (This was a few years ago) Is it still problem with 2013 models? [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]The smart features and 3D are important to my teenage kids as is gaming, but for me the PQ is very important. i.e.: movie night is a big deal in our house! [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]I've done loads of reading on these subjects and I'm left wandering if I will ever find a TV in the LED/LCD market to tick all the boxes? Are all these reviews on the internet super critical and I would not even notice the difference or are they very noticeable problems, In summing up I know you will probably say each individual has different views and this I certainly understand, But Its always great to hear opinions of people who are far more experienced in these TV's. Thanks for reading this and for any advice you may have![/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]p.s. was previously asked why I’m risking moving from plasma to LCD, My answer would be 3D / Smart features seem better on LG. But I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you may have.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Thank You.[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Parker, cheers for the post and I can appreciate the concern.

I suppose I would answer a question with a question.

Would you buy a brand new car and love everything about it or would you have some things that you didn't like ?

In most cases, people are very happy with their car/tv but in other cases people do find fault or notice things that others wouldn't.

Eg : I have a customer at the moment who has a plasma and purchased an LED to use in a bright room as he felt that the LED would suit better. This was not a cheap TV. On watching the TV, there were parts of the TV which were not as dark as others. The manufacturer sent someone out to look at the TV and they basically said that this was a limitation of the TV. 

I have never seen this on a plasma.

LED is not perfect technology but the manufacturers are moving ahead with it at an increasing pace with the news that Panasonic are going to pull the plug on plasma, fuelling that further. Plasma is not perfect either as a static image left on it can burn into it (if left for several hours), they cost more to run in terms of electricity but I feel that it offers the more natural viewing experience and overall best performance.

What Hifi would agree with that also as the 2 Panasonic GT60 models got awards in the 2013 awards.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-tvs-revealed-awards-2013

I have a plasma and find that the picture, while not as detailed or as bright, has a better balance and offers better contrast etc etc. It also offers better motion processing although some of the LED's are catching up on that front. LED tends to be less reflective, brighter, more energy efficient but can have digital blurring, backlight imperfections but does offers a sharper and more detailed image.

I have opted for plasma but it really is down to the individual and I would hasten to add that not all LED's have these issues. The majority of the population own them so if they were really that bad, would they keep them ?

I hope this helps !!!!!

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.