Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorn as a fuel

• 24-11-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

How would people rate hawthorn as a firewood? Do ye think it would be suitable for use in a stove?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Great stuff but rough to cut with all those spikes. Leave it dry for a year if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cpg093

It has been cut for a year and stacked in lengths so hopefully it should be fit to burn soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Great. I find it burns long and hot once dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

as said, hard work, needs good drying, but is savage fuel to put out heat for hours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Great firewood, dense and hard to split though. Burns well maybe burn some ash with it. Gloves [EMAIL="WON@T"]WON'T[/EMAIL] keep out the thorns though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

I have read on some posts that you can burn ash green? What do ye think? Is it a waste of good firewood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cpg093 wrote: »
    I have read on some posts that you can burn ash green? What do ye think? Is it a waste of good firewood?

Stillat least 40% water. Happy to put that in your stove?

How long would it take to get hardwood from 27% moisture to below 20%. I have it stacked on pallets and covered on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

To get wood from 27% to under 20 % at this time of year could be a slow process depending on the weather but if drying conditions are good and the timber is in short lengths by next march it should be ok, you won't get wood much below 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

cpg093 wrote: »
    How would people rate hawthorn as a firewood? Do ye think it would be suitable for use in a stove?

Great heat from it, hard enough wood to cut

• Advertisement
Advertisement