Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pothole filling

Options
  • 24-11-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I see some of the potholes around Delgany have been filled in in the last couple of days, is there anyone out there who could give WCC some advice on how to do the job properly? Maybe it isn't possible with budget restraints but I suspect there are many people out there who would be delighted to get the job of filling those holes, doing a proper job of it and getting a proper wage for a job well done.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Misty May wrote: »
    I see some of the potholes around Delgany have been filled in in the last couple of days, is there anyone out there who could give WCC some advice on how to do the job properly? Maybe it isn't possible with budget restraints but I suspect there are many people out there who would be delighted to get the job of filling those holes, doing a proper job of it and getting a proper wage for a job well done.:D

They're emptying already

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Delgany village seems to have been forgotten by the WCC. Not only are the roads to narrow and pot holed but also without any markings. The footpaths are to narrow, cracked and broken and we shouldn't forget Delgany villages 'Park Wherever You Want' policy which is a huge success.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Misty May wrote: »

Potholes are an essential part of charm and character of Delgany village.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Misty May

2011 wrote: »
    Potholes are an essential part of charm and character of Delgany village.

Far more charming to take up the tarmac completely, do away with all the cars driving through the village and bring back the horse and trap.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I'm sorry to rant off on this, but the deterioration of these roads and the lack of attention that is being shown by WCC is unacceotable in the extreme.

Independent contractors working for service providers have been given free rein to dig up trenches at will and then patchwork them back up so that when the first heavy rain and ensuing road flooding occurs, the potholes get lifted.

The road past the school out of Delgany heading to the Mill road roundabout is a disgrace and is an accident waiting to happen.

Should a car hit some of the uneven patches, pedestrians (and in particular school children at the school on that road) and cyclists are at serious risk of being hit. The area at the junction into the Delgany Wood apartments is particularly dangerous.

I have approached Simon Harris concerning both that road as well as the road exiting Newtown towards Coillte where the road has also been decimated and still nothing has been done.

Absolutely disgraceful.

WCC, local council members and TD's please hang your heads in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

They might if they woke up nothing changes a brown envelope to the right person would get the road or anything else fixed, I know

bido wrote: »
    They might if they woke up nothing changes a brown envelope to the right person would get the road or anything else fixed, I know

They will be hanging their heads in shame in a hospital or morgue if nothing is done with these roads.

2 things need to happen..

1. If anyone digs up the road to lay cables/pipes etc, they should, by law, be required to FULLY recover the entire surface to 100m either side of the area of their work.

2. Until acceptable standards are reached on these roads, EVERYONE should refuse to pay the road tax.

Too many times in this country have the citizens rolled over, had their bellies ticked and said "sure we're grand" whilst the politicians, leaders, developers and cronies laughed their way to their corrupt banks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ckeego wrote: »
    2. Until acceptable standards are reached on these roads, EVERYONE should refuse to pay the road tax.

there's no such thing as road tax.

if there are particularly bad potholes people should report them to the council's road department (roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie), I've found them quite responsive in the past. Send a photo and make the point that the hole is dangerous - councils rely on nonfeasance as a defence for damage claims - i.e. if they don't know the pothole is there it's not their fault. If they've been informed about it, it's in their interest to fix it.

If it's a utility company that has failed to adequately restore the surface they can be forced to return and rectify it, it's a condition of the license to open the road in the first place.

Moaning on boards about TDs is not going to fix anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

In addition to the license, Councils also hold a bond from utility companies/developers that they adequately repair the road. If not repaired adeqautely, the council should been in a position to repair it themselves at no additional cost.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

All valid points. However it's been years since any utility company dug up Delgany village. In fact the road would probably be in a better condition after they'd finished! The appalling and dangerous state of the roads and footpaths is simply down to years of neglect by WCC.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's no such thing as road tax.

if there are particularly bad potholes people should report them to the council's road department (roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie), I've found them quite responsive in the past. Send a photo and make the point that the hole is dangerous - councils rely on nonfeasance as a defence for damage claims - i.e. if they don't know the pothole is there it's not their fault. If they've been informed about it, it's in their interest to fix it.

If it's a utility company that has failed to adequately restore the surface they can be forced to return and rectify it, it's a condition of the license to open the road in the first place.

Moaning on boards about TDs is not going to fix anything.

My sincerest apologies-MOTOR tax, not road tax as most people call it...My apologies to the pedant police:D

Really though, are you saying that by reporting a pothole they will fix it?
    That's pure BS in my honest opinion-there was 2 craters under the bridge coming out of Delgany going Northbound that were there for over 18 months with a collection of hubcaps in the ditch from where cars went into it. Not to mention the dozens of cyclists who have unwittingly ridden into them or had to swerve to avoid.

Ditto the road from Newtown towards Coillte northbound.

The utility companies have destroyed the roads and because of a lack of oversight (now, where have we heard that before?) have failed to fix the roads to anywhere near the standard required-I noticed yesterday they are doing the same to the bike path in Greystones town.

If there IS a bond in place for the utility companies/contractors etc, why then are the roads left in such a state of disrepair after the works have ceased? Where is this money going? Who is doing the post work inspections?

Thank you for the link to where we can send our photos of potholes-if we do so, maybe the state of the local roads will improve-and I for one really look forward to that.

I'm not moaning here about TD's- I am stating a fact and have contacted the TD's directly to try and get some action in these matters.

My worry was for the increased risk of an accident on these damaged roads-in any safety management system, they look at the perceived risks and how to negate them.

The RSA has for years tried to reduce the carnage on the roads mainly through campaigns targetting speed and drink/drug driving. Has anyone thought that certain (if limited) accidents are caused by the road surface?

Fix the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

astrofluff wrote: »
    In addition to the license, Councils also hold a bond from utility companies/developers that they adequately repair the road. If not repaired adeqautely, the council should been in a position to repair it themselves at no additional cost.

Hi astro.speaking of councils holding bonds from developers..would you reakon there was a bond in place for siac? (Former flood works contractors who absconded) could the council use it to return the peoples park in bray to its former condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think that's a question for Bray Town Council. Suggest getting in contact with the Councillors there.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Big problem with that road in Delgany when you come off N11 is that there is no streetlight, I know it's an old country road which generally never have them in this country but it has an 80K, a dangerous bend and the area is way more heavily populated and it was one thing i used to hate about driving down that road was the lack of a street light.

Thankfully I rarely use that road since we have then new road down to Charlesland but plenty still do so a light wouldn't go amiss.

IanL wrote: »
    Big problem with that road in Delgany when you come off N11 is that there is no streetlight, I know it's an old country road which generally never have them in this country but it has an 80K, a dangerous bend and the area is way more heavily populated and it was one thing i used to hate about driving down that road was the lack of a street light.

Thankfully I rarely use that road since we have then new road down to Charlesland but plenty still do so a light wouldn't go amiss.

And (surprise surprise) just as you turn the corner at that roundabout coming off the N11 there is a huge pothole that you can't avoid!! :mad:

And (surprise surprise) just as you turn the corner at that roundabout coming off the N11 there is a huge pothole that you can't avoid!! :mad:

have you reported it? - try http://fixmystreet.ie/
    My sincerest apologies-MOTOR tax, not road tax as most people call it...My apologies to the pedant police

my point was it's not specifically to pay for roads - its a tax, it goes into a big pot with all the other taxes. The councils get their funding from central government, this funding has been cut repeatedly because the country is itself in a big hole.

loyatemu wrote: »
    have you reported it? - try http://fixmystreet.ie/

my point was it's not specifically to pay for roads - its a tax, it goes into a big pot with all the other taxes. The councils get their funding from central government, this funding has been cut repeatedly because the country is itself in a big hole.

Well said..

I will report it so, and thanks for the links that you have posted.

My fear (and hence the posts) is that with the dark evenings, poor lighting with children and cyclists in particular using these damaged roads that someone will get clipped or worse.

I noticed today that all of the work barriers have been removed from the cycle path near the South Beach carpark leaving a badly scarred trench where once there was a smooth red cycle lane...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really cannot understand how the county engineers are allowing this to happen.

I noticed today that all of the work barriers have been removed from the cycle path near the South Beach carpark leaving a badly scarred trench where once there was a smooth red cycle lane...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really cannot understand how the county engineers are allowing this to happen.

I haven't cycled along that way since it was dug up, but seeing as they've put down red tarmac it's safe to assume they're finished.

If it is that bad, then it should be reported. No repair is ever going to match the original surface (unless they resurface the whole road) but it should at least be flat, and it doesn't look all that flat to me.

Advertisement