Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Broadband Speeds in Tramore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

Vodafone kieran, but you'll be forced into a 12 or 18 month contract

Thanks ill be ringing someone Monday. I noticed they give minutes to call UK which is important to the wife no one else offering fibre is doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

kgarvey wrote: »
    Thanks ill be ringing someone Monday. I noticed they give minutes to call UK which is important to the wife no one else offering fibre is doing that

you will lose the ability to make phonecalls with fibre thru vodafone, they made that clear to me when i signed up for fibre on thursday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Vodafone kieran, but you'll be forced into a 12 or 18 month contract

I'd agree - Vodafone far superior product plans and cheaper than eircom.

There all going to lock you into an 18 month contract though for fibre.

you will lose the ability to make phonecalls with fibre thru vodafone, they made that clear to me when i signed up for fibre on thursday.

But it states in the package that u get either 100 or 200 minutes depending on which package u go for. Wouldn't that be classed as false advertising and be illegal

But it states in the package that u get either 100 or 200 minutes depending on which package u go for. Wouldn't that be classed as false advertising and be illegal

There are a few packages available, the cheapest one for 35 euro a month you wouldnt be able to use a phone as its broadband only.The rest that u are on about you can use a phone

• Advertisement

There are a few packages available, the cheapest one for 35 euro a month you wouldnt be able to use a phone as its broadband only.The rest that u are on about you can use a phone

Thanks. I just rang sky to cancel and have been told they do have fibre but it's not on my line yet for them to offer it to me.

Also rep stated to keep an eye out over the next few weeks for online offers. He said it like 5 times like he was hinting something.

Said I would probably get reduced line rental and money off fibre account for up to a year. Don't know what to do? Wait to talk the leap....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Skype is WAAAAY the cheapest way of making phone calls to the UK, or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

Did you read this part

"broadband network capable of delivering broadband download speeds between 200Mbps and 1000Mbps."

No that would be some difference to .59mb download speed on a 12mb line...lol

Makes me think Vodaphone is the way to go. But i could get a great deal with sky within the next few weeks. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Just make a decision Kieron..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Did you read this part

"broadband network capable of delivering broadband download speeds between 200Mbps and 1000Mbps."

No that would be some difference to .59mb download speed on a 12mb line...lol

Makes me think Vodaphone is the way to go. But i could get a great deal with sky within the next few weeks. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Just make a decision Kieron..lol

I wouldn't bother waiting for the ESB/Vodafone offering because it is unlikely that they will have Tramore as the first town to go live.

Remember Eircom had Tramore Fibre broadband down to go live last December and it only recently went live.

• Advertisement

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother waiting for the ESB/Vodafone offering because it is unlikely that they will have Tramore as the first town to go live.

Remember Eircom had Tramore Fibre broadband down to go live last December and it only recently went live.

I wasnt going to wait for them but i assume if your a vodaphone member when there new service goes live you will be offered it. So join them now and hope it comes to Tramore early one. Tramore is on the list if you look at the article and view the map.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ballyv24 wrote: »

ESB/Voda won't be using copper lines folks, fibre direct into the home.

We are on the list to go live in the first round so I expect it will happen at some stage in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Finally my wait is over, got fibre installed this morning!

Quite happy with the results considering I'm a little over 700m from the cabinet!

3614904512.png

Hi guys, I got fibred a few days and with an ethernet cable I get speeds in the mid 70's. But without an ethernet cable and my laptop alongside the router. i get speeds of 5 or 6.
    I have checked for interference and came up with nothing, im at a loss because i had no problem with my origional router. I understand this is not the correct thread for this question but i thought ye might have an understanding of it

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

Hi guys, I got fibred a few days and with an ethernet cable I get speeds in the mid 70's. But without an ethernet cable and my laptop alongside the router. i get speeds of 5 or 6.
    I have checked for interference and came up with nothing, im at a loss because i had no problem with my origional router. I understand this is not the correct thread for this question but i thought ye might have an understanding of it

Not being patronising mate but do you have a smart phone? If so download the speedtest.net app and run a test through that. At least then you can narrow it down to whether your laptop is the issue or the router itself. That should put you on the right path towards narrowing it down and eliminating some un necessary trouble shooting.

Ok so all signed up with Vodafone. Told it doesn't actually go live in clarinwood till 23rd but all sites say it's already live.

Can't wait for it to be turned on

Ok so all signed up with Vodafone. Told it doesn't actually go live in clarinwood till 23rd but all sites say it's already live.

Can't wait for it to be turned on

Delighted for you man. As an eircom customer I'm not allowed order till it's active. Anyone else hear of this?? Sounds rubbish to me.

Passed by the pine grove exchange about an hour ago and the esb crew are there connecting the exchange up :D Getting close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

DaveC85 wrote: »
    Passed by the pine grove exchange about an hour ago and the esb crew are there connecting the exchange up :D Getting close now.

Excellent. Only 3 others to go in Tramore. Hopefully they are doing them all on the one day

Hopefully, I'm waiting on the clarinwood exchange to come online for mine. Thought I'd chance my arm and call today but it's not online. Sadly the agent said it could be another couple of weeks but I think she said that to cover her base cause she said she doesn't have any info on the individual cabinets to come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

We got the efibre in about 2 weeks ago, and sorry to say we are far from impressed, the modem is situated in the hallway (like the last one) and we find when we are upstairs, that we can't watch anything, videos etc keep buffering.... on all our equipment( laptops, tablets and phones) we find it worked better before... did a speed test and it is saying we have approx download speed 44 mbs... but it doesn't seem it is the case... so unless ur broadband is really woeful, i don't think u will see much of a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Libby029 wrote: »
    We got the efibre in about 2 weeks ago, and sorry to say we are far from impressed, the modem is situated in the hallway (like the last one) and we find when we are upstairs, that we can't watch anything, videos etc keep buffering.... on all our equipment( laptops, tablets and phones) we find it worked better before... did a speed test and it is saying we have approx download speed 44 mbs... but it doesn't seem it is the case... so unless ur broadband is really woeful, i don't think u will see much of a difference...
    my modem is in sitting room beside the telly and we in back room upstairs and never have trouble, check your equipment i.e. laptop and tablet as they could need updating

You could have asked him to move the socket elsewhere. At least that's what they were doing when they launched, it was free for a certain distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Have you any other wireless equipment near the modem? Like a cordless phone, Bluetooth device etc as these will kill your WiFi range and speed

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

rex-x wrote: »
    Have you any other wireless equipment near the modem? Like a cordless phone, Bluetooth device etc as these will kill your WiFi range and speed

Yes we have a cordless phone right beside it, thanks for that, will try plugging it out and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure that speedtest is being done with your laptop/computer plugged in directly to the router. Wireless comes in about half that. Depending on the build and size of your house, you may need to introduce homeplugs upstairs to boost the signal quality and reception. I'm on around 90mb with Vodafone and my router is in the sitting room right beside the cordless phone. I get decent enough reception around the house and I have the homeplug upstairs to give it that extra boost. No problems.

Sully wrote: »
    Make sure that speedtest is being done with your laptop/computer plugged in directly to the router. Wireless comes in about half that. Depending on the build and size of your house, you may need to introduce homeplugs upstairs to boost the signal quality and reception. I'm on around 90mb with Vodafone and my router is in the sitting room right beside the cordless phone. I get decent enough reception around the house and I have the homeplug upstairs to give it that extra boost. No problems.

WiFi should be identical to wired if within 20 m or so of the router, after that it drops a bit but certainly not to half even at the extreme ranges if all is well

rex-x wrote: »
    WiFi should be identical to wired if within 20 m or so of the router, after that it drops a bit but certainly not to half even at the extreme ranges if all is well

I did some testing. Being right beside the router on wireless I get; around 40Mbps. There is a wireless handset beside me. Plugging that out and attempting the test again I get closer to 50Mbps. Ensuring that all other wireless handsets / microwaves are disconnected and attempting the test again I get pretty similar results. Each test varies a bit but that's always been the results I get, always around the 40Mbps mark. :)

Sully wrote: »
    I did some testing. Being right beside the router on wireless I get; around 40Mbps. There is a wireless handset beside me. Plugging that out and attempting the test again I get closer to 50Mbps. Ensuring that all other wireless handsets / microwaves are disconnected and attempting the test again I get pretty similar results. Each test varies a bit but that's always been the results I get, always around the 40Mbps mark. :)

Could be that the WiFi card can't take more than that, I get identical values wired or wireless with a brand new broadcom card

• Advertisement

Clarinwood exchange finally gone active but yet no installations to take place till sept. Is anyone with sky gotten fibre with them? My contract runs out with Eircon at the end of the month so I'm not renewing with them if I can bundle it all with my sky package.

Advertisement