Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arduino ethernet shield

• 24-11-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an ethernet shield for an Arduino, but getting a little lost in the differences between the different ones.

This one looks appealing simply because it's £8.50, however the reference to 2009 in the title makes me think that it has been replaced by something more modern.

Like maybe this 2012 version for just a few pence more.

Or this one for £17.99.

From what I can gather they are all based on the same W5100 chipset.

At this point I'm just interested in a proof of concept - getting it to log data to a Raspberry Pi, so very basic ethernet connectivity is all that is required - volume won't be an issue.

Does anyone know a reason *not* to go with either of the £8 ones? Or, alternatively, can anyone suggest an even better value one? Or one for around the same sort of price from an Irish retailer?

Cheers,

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There's two types of Ethernet shield for these, one based on the whiz-net chip and another based on the microchip mac/phy (you have to run your own tcp/ip stack).

It looks like both of them are based on the whiznet chip, so should be ok. I just briefly worked with these but wasn't bowled over by the whiznet chip (sounds great on paper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

The R3 is the current one - but that older R2 you linked to can be found for as low as £5.50 inc postage on ebay and is fine for may uses.

The main difference I think is you get allowed to use A0 and A1 in your own project in the R3 - where the older one reserves those for the Memory card reader whether you use it or not (there are easy workarounds if you need use them).

Also - the R3 has a place where you can bolt on a PoE - but doesn't come with one.

There is another type - really cheap and easy to get - that also works but may be bit too much hassle link

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

i have one, not doing anything with it. PM me and i'll sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for the offer, but I bought a couple of the R2 ones and they are working fine so I'm sorted. Plug in, include the library (ethernet.h I think) & away we go.

z

Advertisement