Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wattage for fluorescent light

Options
  • 24-11-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi my kitchen is approx 13' x 12' and my current ceiling light is very poor. I am looking for a really good bright light and have seen a modern style fluorescent light about 4' long with two uncovered tubes each 58watts - giving me a total of 116 watts. I have also seen for less than half the price a standard covered two tube fluorescent light but in this case each tube is only 28 watts - giving a total of 56 watts. My question is would 56 watts light up my kitchen with a good strong light or should I go for the 116 watts. If anyone can advise me here I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Maybe look into the eterna d129 60 watt circular flouresent fitting.
    ive put a few of these up and they throw out a decent ammount of light.
    ive also put up 55 watt 2d fittings, but the d129 seemed much brighter.

http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/productinfo.asp?product=D129

the twin 58 watt fitting is effective but not very aestethic, look up
    thorn pp258.
    Thorn amongst others do more decorative 2x58 watt fittings, most wholesalers will keep various types and brands and usually have cat 2 louvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Hi thanks for reply. I have taken a look at the 60w circular and see it is available from either Amazon or ebay. (Couldn't see a price for it on Eterna Lighting) The standard type of fluorescent lighting I looked at was also available in 5ft lengths with either a 58w tube or a 'power saving' 48watt tube both sizes had a cover of sorts over the tubes also I thought 5' seemed a little long for my kitchen. I value someone else's experience particularly when you have had dealings with both type of lights and if you think the circular light will give me a good bright kitchen I will be happy to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What is your current light?

And in what way are you finding it insufficient?

The ideal for a kitchen is to light the working areas, a central light fitting will usually mean that you are in your own light and no matter how bright the central light is you won't see clearly.

You should be trying to put lights directly over the counter tops etc.

(The long tubes will cause less 'shadowing' than a circular fitting, but they rarely look nice in a domestic setting)

Hi the old lights are a three spotlight - the bulbs are always going so usually end up with only 2 of then working at an one time. I do have some counter lights but it is the overall kitchen light I need to improve. Thanks for reply

Hi the old lights are a three spotlight - the bulbs are always going so usually end up with only 2 of then working at an one time. I do have some counter lights but it is the overall kitchen light I need to improve. Thanks for reply

Ok, roughly speaking the fluorescent lamp is going to be about 4-5 times brighter than your spotlights per watt. E.g. The 60w fluorescent is going to give you the about same illumination as 300w from your spotlights. Unlike your spotlights expect the light to be less focused from the fluorescent which should give a more even level throughout the room. (Of course the diffuser on the fluorescent is going to also have an effect).

Colours in the room may also look different, depending on the type of lamp fitted, it bothers some people more than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Hi thanks for reply. I have taken a look at the 60w circular and see it is available from either Amazon or ebay. (Couldn't see a price for it on Eterna Lighting) The standard type of fluorescent lighting I looked at was also available in 5ft lengths with either a 58w tube or a 'power saving' 48watt tube both sizes had a cover of sorts over the tubes also I thought 5' seemed a little long for my kitchen. I value someone else's experience particularly when you have had dealings with both type of lights and if you think the circular light will give me a good bright kitchen I will be happy to go with that.

Eterna are distributed in this country by a company in swords, O Neils.
    They dont deal directly with the public but a lot of the electrical wholesalers around dublin and the rest of the country will deal with them and buying of ebay might not be the easiest option.

is this one from argos the same http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9281899.htm#tabrev as the one you recommended. I am in Mayo and might find the one you recommend hard to get locally

is this one from argos the same http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9281899.htm#tabrev as the one you recommended. I am in Mayo and might find the one you recommend hard to get locally

A friend of mine used to call them fly catchers....the glass doesn't fit tight to the ceiling (which might help the fitting stay cool) resulting in flies that are attracted to the light getting in and not being able to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you are in Mayo try CT Electric in either Ballina or Castlebar. They certainly know their stuff.

Colours in the room may also look different, depending on the type of lamp fitted, it bothers some people more than others.

I'd be one of those. Fluorescent light is a horrible blue/green spectrum of white. I'd use architectural incandescents myself in that situation. Fluorescents are fine in a garage/workshop, I wouldn't let one near my house though.

It'd be much harder to adequately light a kitchen with incandescents and costs a lot more in energy. Small price to pay for a genuine 2700°K imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement