Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top rib of beef

Options
  • 24-11-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

What is top rib of beef?
    Saw a recipe in indo on Saturday.
    Is it the carcass after a boneless rib roast is cut off? Or further around the rib age to where short ribs are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd imagine that top rib is from closer to the shoulder - the far end from the short ribs.

A boneless rib roast is just that the bone has been removed. Your butcher should be able to give you a top rib joint with or without the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine that top rib is from closer to the shoulder - the far end from the short ribs.

A boneless rib roast is just that the bone has been removed. Your butcher should be able to give you a top rib joint with or without the bone.

The pic with the recipe showed a piece of meat about 5" by 1 1/2 by 3/4" high.

Short ribs are usually about 2 1/2 " square
    Just not sure where in a beast they're from, or if short ribs are a substitute

I was thinking it might be any meat on the outside of the rib roast, haven't looked at many sides of beef, lambs and pigs are easier to visualise

Was it something like this...?

F1823bt.jpg

Actually, I think top rib would be cut from high on the beast's back - the rib area closer to the spine.
    The short ribs are just cut from the ends of the same ribs, but lower down on the rib cage.

Have a google for 'beef cuts chart' or the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Top Rib is also called Houskeepers cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was it something like this...?

F1823bt.jpg

Actually, I think top rib would be cut from high on the beast's back - the rib area closer to the spine.
    The short ribs are just cut from the ends of the same ribs, but lower down on the rib cage.

Have a google for 'beef cuts chart' or the like.

The one in this picture would be an untrimmed bone in 2 rib roast (half a 4 rib).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Avery quick google search tells me what Seanah already said - it it housekeeper's cut - an awful lean, dry and pretty tough cut of meat.

Certainly not what I was thinking of then.

I just read the recipe & apologies for going off topic, but what in the name of all that is good & holy are "Skerries native potatoes"???
    The spuds commonly grown in the region are Kerr's Pinks, Roosters, Golden Wonder, etc. Is this a new collective moniker for all of the above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know it's also called carvery roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I just read the recipe & apologies for going off topic, but what in the name of all that is good & holy are "Skerries native potatoes"???

Rush Queens, the Skerries lads dig them up after dark.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

looking at that recipe, the author has confused top rib with beef short ribs.
    I reckon it's short ribs yo want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Seaneh wrote: »
    The one in this picture would be an untrimmed bone in 2 rib roast (half a 4 rib).
    it's actually fore rib, not 4. the number of ribs in the cut in it isn't relevant, just where it's cut from.

top rib (aka housekeepers cut, labelled as flat rib in the image) is from the front end, but lower down the side than middle or fore rib (above the brisket).

beefcuts.png
    it housekeeper's cut - an awful lean, dry and pretty tough cut of meat.

i imagine that's why the recipe calls for cooking it for 8-10 hours then! :pac:

wouldn't be my favourite bit of meat, but it's cheap enough if you're stuck and have the time to cook it properly. might be one for the slow cookers thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I love using housekeepers cut - I use it for my neapolitan ragu recipe. It does have to be slow cooked for a long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Rib roast done well is amazing, we've had it for Christmas day for a few years, having it on New Years day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Thud

looking at that recipe, the author has confused top rib with beef short ribs.
    I reckon it's short ribs yo want.
    agreed, that's definitely a short rib in the picture

Advertisement