Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC. Want to install Win8.1 onto new SSD. Some questions

• 25-11-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Just have a few questions about installing Window 8.1 onto my new SSD for my new computer. I understand that not all of the q's are OS related but hopfully someone can enlighten me.

Basically, I'm running 8.1 on my current XPS computer via a non-OEM Win7 licence (i.e. should be transferable) which was upgraded to 8.0 and then to 8.1 recently. I want to use the same licence and transfer that over to my new PC that will be arriving in a couple of days. I dont want to have to install Win7, then upgrade to 8.0 and then upgrade again to 8.1. Is there an easy way to get around this?
    Can I do a clean install of 8.1 using a usb drive/dvd option?
    I've noticed the cd-key associated with my current install of 8.1 is different from the Win7 key I initially entered. Is is possible to use the Win 8.0/8.1 cd-key that I get using say 'Magic Jelly Bean' etc and install using that?
    Will it allow me to do that?

Another quick Q. Since I will also be transferring my current 2TB harddrive over to my new computer (which I have my current XPS install of 8.1 on), should I install the drive when I am installing Win7/8.0/8.1 to the SSD or wait until the install is finished and hook it up after? Should it matter?
    I would like to keep the data on it and not format it but is it advisable to format it when doing a clean install so that all traces from the previous install are wiped?

Advertisement