Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options
  • 25-11-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

hey guys
    just wondering if any of ye could give me some advice, im hopefully moving to canada in 2014 in the IEC visa, i was ment to be going with a few friends but for reasons there unable to go now,

iv never traveled alone before so i find it a bit daunting but still determined to go, have ye got any tips... or advice they would be greatly appreciated :D

cheers:):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi buddy. The first time that I travelled alone, it was about a 10-12 hour trip and in another language. It was very hard. To travel more easily, this time:

1. I'm choosing a later flight, preferably lunchtime. So if I sleep poorly the night before, I won't be travelling 10 hours or so with 3 hours sleep. If you never have trouble before big travel, you can skip this! Though, a later flight suits me for calm goodbyes with family, not at 6 in the morning.

2. You might wonder 10,000 times 'am I doing the right thing, can I do this' etc. Take a calm look around now and note just how many people travel and move abroad. Yes you can do it, and as for 'the right thing' you'll never know until you try. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll have travelled further than many. You become a story, not just read them about others.

3. Moving abroad, for me, the adjustment period was maybe 2 months. After that, I had set everything up and was comfy.

Social life
    I can be introverted at the best of times, but within 10 minutes of arriving in a foreign country to live, realising that I knew no one, I went downstairs in the hostel and chatted to people. I didn't know it then but the first two people that I talked to I ended up apartment-hunting with living with them for the year. I made great friends in minutes.

You can make friends easily with a little effort. Other guys/girls on here keep mentioning pubs - if you like that, after a few drinks you'll leave with 50 phone numbers, 3 job leads and possibly a date. That's just the kind of welcome and sociability I'm reading here from Irish in Canada.

Money
    Every single person that I know that has lived abroad says 'if only I budgeted at the start'. Me too! Take it easy with money at the start, you'll find very important needs for it soon enough! You save for the things that you don't see cropping up, not just the things that you do. I'm the last person in the world that likes to budget. But I do it now. It gives you peace of mind. Money management is a life skill.

Cultural differences
    Sometimes people have issues here. I keep hearing through my own social circles 'I don't get the humour' or 'I don't understand why they don't do it like this e.g. a policy, a government division, a business, a service'. You can't fight that forever. Countries are different from each other. The sooner that you can respect that - and fit it at least a bit - the sooner things run smoothly. I don't think any foreign person wants to hear 30 million times 'it's done better back home'. My experience is that some things are done far better abroad and some things aren't. That's that. I just live with it. As for humour, hopefully it doesn't become a huge issue and you can adapt.

Adventure, a big adventure!
    If you are even slightly curious, or remotely culturally interested, or adaptable, you'll have the time of your life. You'll grow like you never knew possible. You'll lose fear of travel or living abroad or indepdenence concerns. You'll get a whole new perspective of 'the world is your oyster'. You'll see adventure and possibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

i totally agree with newsmequick, but the one thing that helped me over the fear of travelling alone was having a place sorted before coming over plus the added advantage of my new house-mate collecting me from the airport, but you can just get a taxi! Canada is certainly different from what i expected but its still great, just be realistic about getting work, ie dont come in January unless you have a in-demand skill, (depending on the city) research the public transport and be willing to apply to every job you can even if you think its beneath you because you need to work to get your dream job.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

alright cheers guys that gave me more confidence in goin it alone :) was thinking of goin to Toronto is anyone is going/already there

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

rlad wrote: »
    alright cheers guys that gave me more confidence in goin it alone :) was thinking of goin to Toronto is anyone is going/already there

Thinking of doing the exact same myself rlad

Thinking of doing the exact same myself rlad
    oh yeah? cool!! when approx would ya think of flying over goingitalone? i was thinking of goin around may or june as i still have a bit more saving to do, all going well the visa is got........

• Advertisement

oh yeah? cool!! when approx would ya think of flying over goingitalone? i was thinking of goin around may or june as i still have a bit more saving to do, all going well the visa is got........

Same once I have my visa I plan on getting outta here so were talking the same June or July prob same with the saving.can't have to much

Same once I have my visa I plan on getting outta here so were talking the same June or July prob same with the saving.can't have to much
    good stuff, yeah ya can never have save too much especially when not working now lol

ahh i know that all to well rlad lol tell me about penny pinching what work ya looking to get into ?

ahh i know that all to well rlad lol tell me about penny pinching what work ya looking to get into ?
    ah stop il be living on beans on toast for about 6 months lol!
    im a a science graduate so was hopeing to get into a pharma company or something like that, impossible to get work here if ya dont have experience, id work at anything over there tho i wouldnt be that fussy at all, what kinda work would ya be hopeing to get yourself goingitalone??

Pretty much in the same position as you lads ^^ :)

Where's everyone heading to? Vancouver anyone?

• Advertisement

ah right cool wel have a big gang of us goin yet lol, ah i was thinking Toronto?? its a bigger city so work would be that much easier to get......

ahh yeah either engineering or IT but really im not fussy with what i do anything initially that pay bill . same im heading to toronto bigger city ,i know rent whatevers gonna be more expensive but city's are better then heading to any the smaller towns simple because of transport. plus i may have a few contacts there through some family possibly.

I went to have a look for more up to date info. on the jobs market in Vancouver (still working on Toronto) and found lots of young Canadians saying companies don't want to spend money on training young people, so it's very hard to start off. I found quite a few young, recent expats online saying without recent experience, you're destined to work at a coffee shop, even with a good degree.

I know instantly that Toronto is the backbone of the economy. I didn't save the sites, I'll go have a look but I read '9 out of 10 company HQs are in Toronto' and '3 out of 4 jobs created since 2010 were in Toronto'. Hmm. So, I wonder are there many Irish working in coffee shops in Toronto? I'm not knocking that, just wondering is there much difference or not.

Lots of Irish on FB groups getting jobs within weeks in either city. So confused. :confused:

I went to have a look for more up to date info. on the jobs market in Vancouver (still working on Toronto) and found lots of young Canadians saying companies don't want to spend money on training young people, so it's very hard to start off. I found quite a few young, recent expats online saying without recent experience, you're destined to work at a coffee shop, even with a good degree.

I know instantly that Toronto is the backbone of the economy. I didn't save the sites, I'll go have a look but I read '9 out of 10 company HQs are in Toronto' and '3 out of 4 jobs created since 2010 were in Toronto'. Hmm. So, I wonder are there many Irish working in coffee shops in Toronto? I'm not knocking that, just wondering is there much difference or not.

Lots of Irish on FB groups getting jobs within weeks in either city. So confused. :confused:

intresting im gonna be looking myself to but id like to hear what ya find out too news might be hand getting info other people are finding

OK for the sake of keeping the thread on topic I created a thread about work for young uns like us heading over.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87719162#post87719162

OK for the sake of keeping the thread on topic I created a thread about work for young uns like us heading over.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87719162#post87719162
    good stuff NewMeQuick, il have a look

I've read the first, it's quite good. I wish they would remove house price from livability, I may be the only person on this island not interested in house buying...I don't mind that houses cost a fortune in some Canadian cities, I'm not in the market.

I'll read the second tonight...

yeah same here maybe when im older it might interest me a bit, ah sorry dont bother its the same link i didnt think it posted the first time....ill delete it now

• Advertisement

Vancouver isn't. Looking great in comparison really I've looked at blog posts and forums even here everyone's opinion seems to be vans very expensive with not allot to do .then again everything relative. Toronto's still looking like my choice hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shellellen

Hi everyone! I'm a girl in my late twenties and I'm planning on moving to canada on my own in January! Was supposed to be going with friends but it fell through! Planning it with ages so said I'd bight the bullet! Toronto is obviously waaaay bigger so way more opportunities for jobs but way more competition too! Vancouver from what I read is much more chilled out but far less jobs! I have a hostel booked for a few days in Toronto and everything after that is wide open! If I do stay there il definitely try and get a cheap room in a share house! If anyone else is in the same boat any tips or pointers would be great :)

shellellen wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a girl in my late twenties and I'm planning on moving to canada on my own in January! Was supposed to be going with friends but it fell through! Planning it with ages so said I'd bight the bullet! Toronto is obviously waaaay bigger so way more opportunities for jobs but way more competition too! Vancouver from what I read is much more chilled out but far less jobs! I have a hostel booked for a few days in Toronto and everything after that is wide open! If I do stay there il definitely try and get a cheap room in a share house! If anyone else is in the same boat any tips or pointers would be great :)

ill be doing the same in march hopefully if get the visa and all goes well so look forward to hear how ya get on

Oh but how can you say no to this....:rolleyes: (I would like to post a whole gallery but one is probably as brazen as I could get without being moderated!) I'll be in the forest if anyone wants me...

Capilano-Suspension-Bridge-lead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dcoyle277

Thinking of Vancouver myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Oh but how can you say no to this....:rolleyes: (I would like to post a whole gallery but one is probably as brazen as I could get without being moderated!) I'll be in the forest if anyone wants me...

Capilano-Suspension-Bridge-lead.jpg

where this? pretty cool.

The west coast seems to be nearly totally forrested. Vancouver city officials keep talking about trying to make the city 'an urban forrest'. Frankly, I think they're already there. Glass and trees everywhere. That photo is on the north side of the city, an area called Capilano. 100 foot trees with all sorts of walkways, paths, trails, mountainbiking, horticulture, tours, just about anything you can learn or enjoy in a forrest.

They light it up for Christmas too.

http://www.capbridge.com/explore/canyon-lights/

shellellen wrote: »
    hi shellellen yeah im in the same boat myself, think alot of people are aswell. yeah Toronto seems to be the best option from what i can see anyway although Vancouver looks nicer from pics but that donnt count when ya just looking for work. ill be going to Toronto later on in the year hope to be there by the summer sooner if i can

hi shellellen yeah im in the same boat myself, think alot of people are aswell. yeah Toronto seems to be the best option from what i can see anyway although Vancouver looks nicer from pics but that donnt count when ya just looking for work. ill be going to Toronto later on in the year hope to be there by the summer sooner if i can

exactly the rlad the job marker for me too is way better options in toronto all good to have a nice views in van but if theres less jobs and its slightly more expensive . not really feasible well for me anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 shellellen

Ya Toronto seems to be the best option to begin with! I dont want to go solely for work though! I want a nice long break and to leave my plans open, the beauty of travelling alone I guess. You never know who you might meet or what roads open up for you. I think best thing to do is get there and not to ruin your trip with planning too much. Im open to anything! The more spontaneous the better :) Can always pick up a job in a cafe or bar til ya get your dream job :)

Advertisement