Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ellenellen

Edit: I'm in Vancouver :)

So I've been here (Vancouver) since Saturday. I'm staying in a private room in an airbnb for the first few nights so I can have some space to organise jobs, viewings, etc but moving to a hostel tomorrow which I'm a bit apprehensive about because I'll probably be there for a whole month and am a bit wrecked from my sleep pattern being a bit messed up and running around in general!

I've had two viewings so far and a good few more arranged for the next week. I'm hoping to get something soon but realistically I won't be able to move there until the first, which I've budgeted for.

My flight over was fine and I did my change over in London. I was queueing (seated though) in immigration for about an hour so I'd advice you inform anyone picking you up or that your meeting of this. Might not take as long, but good to take it into account anyway. I went with Virgin Atlantic and didn't pick up my bag first but apparently you're supposed to. A few other people didn't and a member or staff just left them together in the bagging area which was fine but I think it meant she was hanging around a long time waiting for them to be picked up which I felt a bit bad about!

I got my SIN in the Sinclair building downtown. It's not really marked that well and there are signs to the passport office that many people went to but it's actually the 'Service Canada' signs you follow. For this you need your work permit, passport and an address. The whole process, including the seated queue took about 20 minutes, this was on a Monday afternoon around 4pm. It really just depends on how many people are around. Then you can set up a bank account. I went with Coast Capital, actually a credit union, because they don't have transaction fees. You do however need to have $5 cash on you for a membership fee. And if you brought cash over with you, you can lodge it there and then. The cons are that you will be charged if you don't use a Coast capital ATM and cheques take longer to clear if you don't have a Canadian credit report. For this account you need your SIN paper with proof of address, work permit and passport. As I had a viewing on the day I got my SIN I couldn't do this but ideally you should get your SIN paper first in the morning and then head to the bank to get it sorted in one day! One thing to keep in mind is that they may not have an appointment for you on that particular day, but this is probably unlikely. I went in and up to customer service and they had someone free in 40 minutes so I just went and got a coffee nearby. Then the whole process too about 40 minutes so give yourself a whole morning/afternoon so you don't miss other appointments. Their customer service is excellent and I'd definitely recommend them.

I got a SIM card from Go4Less with Bell network. However, the email I was sent with my phone number actually had a completely different number to the one that I've been calling people with. This is really annoying and inconvenient as the number form the email is the one I printed on my CVs. I'll be making a complaint to both companies about this and am planning to switch to Wind once I get settled. Two people have recommended this to me. The downside is that coverage is really bad outside and the odd time inside of Vancouver but its around $35 for a month by month plan with unlimited data which is great for me because I use WhatsApp as my main form of communication with my family at home.

One app I'd recommend is Mappa Vancouver. It's about 2 euro and it's an offline map that uses your phone signal (not internet) to show you where you are. I'm terrible at navigation and always go the wrong way but at least with this I can see when I'm moving in the wrong direction and can do the embarrassing backtrack..

Public transport is easy enough to navigate. Buses tell you what stop is next on a screen and if you google map directions and choose the public transport options you can get all the information. A single ticket it $2.75 which lasts for I think one or two and a half hours and a day ticket is nearly $10 so think about how many journeys you will need to take each day. You can also buy a book of ten tickets from 7/11 style shops at a slight discount rate. I've found the bus drivers to be really helpful - one out of service bus stopped at my stop and told me he was going my direction anyway so gave me an 'express ride' straight to my door! One strange thing I've noticed is that people don't really walk anywhere. There is a train stop less than 15 min where I'm staying at the moment and the people who own the house were getting really annoyed that the bus that used to drop them there isn't running anymore. The people at a house I'd viewed thought I was crazy that I walked 25 minutes to get there instead of just hopping on a bus!

Can't think of anything else that might be useful for the moment but if I do I'll post it here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

astonaidan wrote: »
    Big day has finally arrived, nervous excitement :o

Good luck! Kerp us informed!

ellenellen wrote: »
    Edit: I'm in Vancouver :)

So I've been here (Vancouver) since Saturday. I'm staying in a private room in an airbnb for the first few nights so I can have some space to organise jobs, viewings, etc but moving to a hostel tomorrow which I'm a bit apprehensive about because I'll probably be there for a whole month and am a bit wrecked from my sleep pattern being a bit messed up and running around in general!

I've had two viewings so far and a good few more arranged for the next week. I'm hoping to get something soon but realistically I won't be able to move there until the first, which I've budgeted for.

My flight over was fine and I did my change over in London. I was queueing (seated though) in immigration for about an hour so I'd advice you inform anyone picking you up or that your meeting of this. Might not take as long, but good to take it into account anyway. I went with Virgin Atlantic and didn't pick up my bag first but apparently you're supposed to. A few other people didn't and a member or staff just left them together in the bagging area which was fine but I think it meant she was hanging around a long time waiting for them to be picked up which I felt a bit bad about!

I got my SIN in the Sinclair building downtown. It's not really marked that well and there are signs to the passport office that many people went to but it's actually the 'Service Canada' signs you follow. For this you need your work permit, passport and an address. The whole process, including the seated queue took about 20 minutes, this was on a Monday afternoon around 4pm. It really just depends on how many people are around. Then you can set up a bank account. I went with Coast Capital, actually a credit union, because they don't have transaction fees. You do however need to have $5 cash on you for a membership fee. And if you brought cash over with you, you can lodge it there and then. The cons are that you will be charged if you don't use a Coast capital ATM and cheques take longer to clear if you don't have a Canadian credit report. For this account you need your SIN paper with proof of address, work permit and passport. As I had a viewing on the day I got my SIN I couldn't do this but ideally you should get your SIN paper first in the morning and then head to the bank to get it sorted in one day! One thing to keep in mind is that they may not have an appointment for you on that particular day, but this is probably unlikely. I went in and up to customer service and they had someone free in 40 minutes so I just went and got a coffee nearby. Then the whole process too about 40 minutes so give yourself a whole morning/afternoon so you don't miss other appointments. Their customer service is excellent and I'd definitely recommend them.

I got a SIM card from Go4Less with Bell network. However, the email I was sent with my phone number actually had a completely different number to the one that I've been calling people with. This is really annoying and inconvenient as the number form the email is the one I printed on my CVs. I'll be making a complaint to both companies about this and am planning to switch to Wind once I get settled. Two people have recommended this to me. The downside is that coverage is really bad outside and the odd time inside of Vancouver but its around $35 for a month by month plan with unlimited data which is great for me because I use WhatsApp as my main form of communication with my family at home.

One app I'd recommend is Mappa Vancouver. It's about 2 euro and it's an offline map that uses your phone signal (not internet) to show you where you are. I'm terrible at navigation and always go the wrong way but at least with this I can see when I'm moving in the wrong direction and can do the embarrassing backtrack..

Public transport is easy enough to navigate. Buses tell you what stop is next on a screen and if you google map directions and choose the public transport options you can get all the information. A single ticket it $2.75 which lasts for I think one or two and a half hours and a day ticket is nearly $10 so think about how many journeys you will need to take each day. You can also buy a book of ten tickets from 7/11 style shops at a slight discount rate. I've found the bus drivers to be really helpful - one out of service bus stopped at my stop and told me he was going my direction anyway so gave me an 'express ride' straight to my door! One strange thing I've noticed is that people don't really walk anywhere. There is a train stop less than 15 min where I'm staying at the moment and the people who own the house were getting really annoyed that the bus that used to drop them there isn't running anymore. The people at a house I'd viewed thought I was crazy that I walked 25 minutes to get there instead of just hopping on a bus!

Can't think of anything else that might be useful for the moment but if I do I'll post it here :)

This is great .. especially about the phone companies! I will be needing a good data plan as i intend using whatsapp and viber a good bit also!

One question if I may - are you looking at apartments or like basemnts of houses? I have found a lot on padmapper that are shared houses or basements just wondering if you've found regular one bed apartments and the general price?

Stinjy wrote: »
    This is great .. especially about the phone companies! I will be needing a good data plan as i intend using whatsapp and viber a good bit also!

One question if I may - are you looking at apartments or like basemnts of houses? I have found a lot on padmapper that are shared houses or basements just wondering if you've found regular one bed apartments and the general price?

I'm just looking for a room share. Ideally I'd like between $450 and 550 but would stretch to 600 if it was really amazing and I didn't need to use public transport. I think for a one bed you're probably looking close to the $1,000 mark, more downtown or in Kits. You might be able to change the filters on Padmapper for just one beds? Something I've noticed is that Padmapper doesn't pull all of the ads from Craigslist, there are far more options on Craigslist itself and go into the 'asts/housing for rent' section if you are looking for your own place. Studio apartments are sometimes called 'bachelors' here if you notice that popping up. Another thing I've found it that a lot of people seem to be offering their living room for rent or else giving up their bedroom and staying in the living room themselves which probably wouldn't be the most comfortable living situation!

I'm just looking for a room share. Ideally I'd like between $450 and 550 but would stretch to 600 if it was really amazing and I didn't need to use public transport. I think for a one bed you're probably looking close to the $1,000 mark, more downtown or in Kits. You might be able to change the filters on Padmapper for just one beds? Something I've noticed is that Padmapper doesn't pull all of the ads from Craigslist, there are far more options on Craigslist itself and go into the 'asts/housing for rent' section if you are looking for your own place. Studio apartments are sometimes called 'bachelors' here if you notice that popping up. Another thing I've found it that a lot of people seem to be offering their living room for rent or else giving up their bedroom and staying in the living room themselves which probably wouldn't be the most comfortable living situation!

Thanks for that :)
    I might have to do more craigslist searches... see the reason I'm not looking for sharing is because I intend having friends/ family over and hopefully find friends over there and I'd feel I was imposing on other people if I was having people over .. but this may not be doable! I wont be stuck for a place to stay in the short tearm as my gran is over there but I also dont want to be living on her couch for too long..

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :)
    I might have to do more craigslist searches... see the reason I'm not looking for sharing is because I intend having friends/ family over and hopefully find friends over there and I'd feel I was imposing on other people if I was having people over .. but this may not be doable! I wont be stuck for a place to stay in the short tearm as my gran is over there but I also dont want to be living on her couch for too long..

It would be nice to have extra space if you did have people over regularly but it depends how often really. I doubt your friends/family would expect you to be paying more than you can afford just so you can put them up 2-3 times a year. I know myself from living abroad before that far less people actually visit you than promise! Likewise I've always been understanding of housemates I've had from different cities/countries having friends or family visit. You just need to give enough notice and work out a few ground rules. You'll need to be respectful of other peoples space but given that you're paying for the place you're also entitled to some leg room yourself. An idea might be to look for houses with other internationals or students from different cities who'd likely have people visiting from time to time too. And ask when you're viewing the room if it's ok to have guests every now and again. A lot of places do month by month leases which is great and if it doesn't work out you'll always have a base at your gran's - lucky you! That will give you time to test the water and realistically it will probably take a few months to make enough friends to be throwing a rager anyway ;) Some ads do state specifically no houseguests so you'll get an idea from the ad itself which is handy.

Phone network update: I tried to sign up today with Wind today and gave all my details and paid for the plan. Then after the guy put my new SIM in the phone it wouldn't connect to the network. Apparently wind is on some new frequency that isn't used in Europe and my phone is an 'international' Moto G. Annoyed I wasted so much time, don't seem to be having much luck with phones here at all! Not really sure what to do now because it really is the cheapest plan around and internet data is all I really want. Might just have to buy a new phone even though I only got the Moto G a couple of months ago... If anybody is signing up with Wind ask them to put an existing SIM in your phone first to make sure it can pick up the frequency.

It would be nice to have extra space if you did have people over regularly but it depends how often really. I doubt your friends/family would expect you to be paying more than you can afford just so you can put them up 2-3 times a year. I know myself from living abroad before that far less people actually visit you than promise! Likewise I've always been understanding of housemates I've had from different cities/countries having friends or family visit. You just need to give enough notice and work out a few ground rules. You'll need to be respectful of other peoples space but given that you're paying for the place you're also entitled to some leg room yourself. An idea might be to look for houses with other internationals or students from different cities who'd likely have people visiting from time to time too. And ask when you're viewing the room if it's ok to have guests every now and again. A lot of places do month by month leases which is great and if it doesn't work out you'll always have a base at your gran's - lucky you! That will give you time to test the water and realistically it will probably take a few months to make enough friends to be throwing a rager anyway ;) Some ads do state specifically no houseguests so you'll get an idea from the ad itself which is handy.

Oh I'm well aware I wont be getting all the "promised" visits, its just not affordable for most people... and I will share if I have to I'd just really prefer not to have to if that makes sense!
    Though this is all great info Thanks! I'll be sure to find you on the next boards meet up and get you a drink :P

Oh I'm well aware I wont be getting all the "promised" visits, its just not affordable for most people... and I will share if I have to I'd just really prefer not to have to if that makes sense!
    Though this is all great info Thanks! I'll be sure to find you on the next boards meet up and get you a drink :P

No worries, a lot of it is stuff you'll pick up yourself anyway and I've found the threads here really helpful myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Phone network update: I tried to sign up today with Wind today and gave all my details and paid for the plan. Then after the guy put my new SIM in the phone it wouldn't connect to the network. Apparently wind is on some new frequency that isn't used in Europe and my phone is an 'international' Moto G. Annoyed I wasted so much time, don't seem to be having much luck with phones here at all! Not really sure what to do now because it really is the cheapest plan around and internet data is all I really want. Might just have to buy a new phone even though I only got the Moto G a couple of months ago... If anybody is signing up with Wind ask them to put an existing SIM in your phone first to make sure it can pick up the frequency.
    Wind are on the verge of bankruptcy and could be gone at any time in the next year. Take a look at koodo... Good chance your phone will work with them too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

On hour left till my flight, havent slept since yesterday morning at nine
    Think I will have a Guinness before I go, seems the Irish thing to do :o:D

astonaidan wrote: »
    On hour left till my flight, havent slept since yesterday morning at nine
    Think I will have a Guinness before I go, seems the Irish thing to do :o:D

Best way to fly (the lack of sleep not the Guinness)... You'll be out for the count on the plane

COYVB wrote: »
    Best way to fly (the lack of sleep not the Guinness)... You'll be out for the count on the plane
    I wish that was how it went, but I got a seat on the lane each time so didnt sleep till 12 toronto time, Im still feeling it today.
    So how I felt last night coming in was a bit overwhelmed, Its a skyscraper city. But seeing it in the day time is easier, went to city hall to get my SIN number and forgot to bring my passport and Permit :o
    Ive decided on Scotia as my bank, mainly cause a friend who arrived last week told me to get it. Now trying to figure which phone package I want

also consider president's choice financial as your bank, they have zero fees

for phone, if you brought one with you, koodo or virgin are probably the best value at the moment. you might have trouble getting a contract with anyone if you need to get a phone as part of it, given the fact that you've just arrived, but you could always buy outright or check out kijiji.ca

also consider president's choice financial as your bank, they have zero fees

for phone, if you brought one with you, koodo or virgin are probably the best value at the moment. you might have trouble getting a contract with anyone if you need to get a phone as part of it, given the fact that you've just arrived, but you could always buy outright or check out kijiji.ca
    Well I got the phone as part off my contract with Wind, took alot off smiling but worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Arrived here on Wednesday. My situation is a little different in that, while I have an IEC visa, I actually had a job before I came with a relocation package. I moved to Toronto. I work in a professional job which thankfully has a shortage of people in it right now and my qualifications are recognised world wide already.

I got a direct flight with Aer Lingus. It was a nice flight, I got an extra legroom seat and the meal upgrade which were both well worth it.

At the airport I was immediately seen my an immigration guy who just gave me the work visa without asking for proof of insurance, funds etc. I then went to another counter and had my SIN within 10 mins.

I got a short term let down on Yonge St near the harbour front. It's expensive but it's nice to have an apartment with all the amenities I need. It's furnished and all bills included, I have it til January.

The apartment is generally too hot, a big contrast to my house in Ireland which is forever cold. I can see the CN Tower from my window which is fun! It's a 15 min walk to work and I can use the PATH most of the way in winter.

I got a bank account with TD and signed up to a bill pay phone with Bell. I was gonna go with Koodo but they didn't have any iphones in stock and the service wasn't great in the shop. Wow the plans are expensive compared to Ireland! Especially if you want data.

I am over here on my own for the next few months but my partner is coming in January. I am actually going back to Ireland in November and December for a couple of weeks though.

Think I am pretty lucky to have this situation. It's been fun so far but only been here a few days.

Pythia wrote: »
    Arrived here on Wednesday. My situation is a little different in that, while I have an IEC visa, I actually had a job before I came with a relocation package. I moved to Toronto. I work in a professional job which thankfully has a shortage of people in it right now and my qualifications are recognised world wide already.

I got a direct flight with Aer Lingus. It was a nice flight, I got an extra legroom seat and the meal upgrade which were both well worth it.

At the airport I was immediately seen my an immigration guy who just gave me the work visa without asking for proof of insurance, funds etc. I then went to another counter and had my SIN within 10 mins.

I got a short term let down on Yonge St near the harbour front. It's expensive but it's nice to have an apartment with all the amenities I need. It's furnished and all bills included, I have it til January.

The apartment is generally too hot, a big contrast to my house in Ireland which is forever cold. I can see the CN Tower from my window which is fun! It's a 15 min walk to work and I can use the PATH most of the way in winter.

I got a bank account with TD and signed up to a bill pay phone with Bell. I was gonna go with Koodo but they didn't have any iphones in stock and the service wasn't great in the shop. Wow the plans are expensive compared to Ireland! Especially if you want data.

I am over here on my own for the next few months but my partner is coming in January. I am actually going back to Ireland in November and December for a couple of weeks though.

Think I am pretty lucky to have this situation. It's been fun so far but only been here a few days.

I can't get over how much phone plans are here. Data is the main thing I want, I'd be happy with a relatively low number of texts/minutes. I've got a lot of credit let on my Irish phone from being with 3 and topping up 20 euro a month but only really using data and I've got a temporary job for a month and a half so think I'll stick with my international number until I start looking for a job again.

If you're only after data, get a mobile data stick instead of a phone plan, buy a canadian magicjack number and set up viber/whatsapp/skype and just use data on your existing smartphone - you'll have phone via magicjack and text/video chat via the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ROFY123

Anybody have any information or links on how to convert your Irish qualifications to Canadian ?

ROFY123 wrote: »
    Anybody have any information or links on how to convert your Irish qualifications to Canadian ?

That'd very much depend on what kind of qualifications you're talking about

• Advertisement

That'd very much depend on what kind of qualifications you're talking about

In terms of a degree? What would be the equivalent of a 2.1 in canada ?

To be honest, probably a masters. Education is quite poor over here. They think it's great, but that's because the bar is so bloody low that of course everyone gets good grades.

The only problem is, they've pretty much got zero interest in foreign education history from what many people have said on here, which could prove a pain. From my experience they're a very "show me, don't tell me" breed of folks

thought you meant professional qualifications to be honest

To be honest, probably a masters. Education is quite poor over here. They think it's great, but that's because the bar is so bloody low that of course everyone gets good grades.

The only problem is, they've pretty much got zero interest in foreign education history from what many people have said on here, which could prove a pain. From my experience they're a very "show me, don't tell me" breed of folks

thought you meant professional qualifications to be honest

Ye I had a feeling it might be like that. Bit of a pain alright!

What part of canada are you in?

ROFY123 wrote: »
    Ye I had a feeling it might be like that. Bit of a pain alright!

What part of canada are you in?

I'm just east of Toronto in a city called Oshawa

Guys where is the best place (s) to live in Toronto ?

What's your primary concern/desire from a place to live?

Somewhere thats safe, has good transport facilities, reasonably housing prices (500-600 euro a month) and has lots of shops, bars, restaraunt s etc.

Somewhere thats safe, has good transport facilities, reasonably housing prices (500-600 euro a month) and has lots of shops, bars, restaraunt s etc.

€500-600 a month? Yeah... Toronto's not the place for you lol

I'm at the very edge of the GTA paying 1550 a month for a house, and I know people downtown paying that for a shoebox. You'll do well to get a house share for what your looking at.

Best bet is outside Toronto in terms of finances.

What line of work are you in?

• Advertisement

€500-600 a month? Yeah... Toronto's not the place for you lol

I'm at the very edge of the GTA paying 1550 a month for a house, and I know people downtown paying that for a shoebox. You'll do well to get a house share for what your looking at.

Best bet is outside Toronto in terms of finances.

What line of work are you in?

Dam, that was not what I wanted to hear. I am planning on sharing an apartment/house ansdhave seen some on roomster for 600-700 a month in places like Scarborough???.

I work in tourism and hospitality. Ive also noticed hotels in various places across canada offer free accomodation...so maybe I could go down that road.....it would save me alot money!

Advertisement