Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Whistler might be a decent place to look at out west for the tourism side of things.

You'll get a share in Scarborough for that amount alright... Just do your research on the exact area, it has some pretty bad areas

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ROFY123

Any other cool places to live in Canada other than the main destinations such as Toronto Vancouver, montreal etc ????? Im looking for a calm city life, good transport system, good quality of life and reasonable housing prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

What are my chances of getting a job if l never went to college :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What are my chances of getting a job if l never went to college :/

Same types of job available as in Ireland, but there's probably of them. You could temp or work in retail or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Faith wrote: »
    Same types of job available as in Ireland, but there's probably of them. You could temp or work in retail or similar.

would l have a good chance of getting a visa even without qualifications?

• Advertisement

You can get a working holiday visa (the IEC visa that the FAQ thread is about) without any qualifications or work experience. It's first come first served, not top X% of applicants.

That being said, Canada is an expensive country and its not easy to survive on minimum wage. If you're looking for adventure and travel and life experience, then it's definitely worth doing. But if you're just desperately looking for a job, and aren't actually keen to travel and live far from ireland, you'd probably have the same chances in Dublin or a large city in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

What is the norm with education/employer references?

Do they want written references or just a contact detail?! Trying to get this sorted before I leave next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ngoggins

Hey,
    just wondering who is the best company to get your 2 years travel insurance? any help would be great
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

While we are talking about insurance, is anyone aware of a 2 year policy that offers a pro-rata refund if cancelled within the 2 year period? The insurance USIT are offering offers no refund if cancelled.

There may be some people who decide to come home after a few months if things don't work out, so it would be great if this type of policy was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hi guys, my entry letter for my Canadian visa from last year expires on April 1st 2015. I want to retrieve the visa before it expires, so I intend to fly to Toronto at the end of March purely to activate it, and then fly home the next day.
    Can anyone advise if this will be OK?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

Just wondering if there will there be any issue with your Social Insurance Number - if you don't get one around the time you enter Canada? I'm in the same boat as you GrumPy, my entry letter expires end of April. I'm not sure what to do - should I head over to activate it and then return home or just take the plunge and head over and start the adventure!! I'm trying (not very successfully!) to arrange a job (ANY JOB!) prior to departure, the idea of heading over with no work arranged scares the life out of me!! Are you waiting to secure a jobs before you go?

bobbygyrl wrote: »
    ! Are you waiting to secure a jobs before you go?

I'm hoping to immediately fly home the next day, purely travelling to prevent it from expiring.

GrumPy wrote: »
    Hi guys, my entry letter for my Canadian visa from last year expires on April 1st 2015. I want to retrieve the visa before it expires, so I intend to fly to Toronto at the end of March purely to activate it, and then fly home the next day.

Thanks!
    that's fine

COYVB wrote: »
    that's fine

Hey, thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to confirm it 100% though via a link or anything. Are you speaking from experience? Don't want to risk paying and travelling only to be told I cannot obtain the visa.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to confirm it 100% though via a link or anything. Are you speaking from experience? Don't want to risk paying and travelling only to be told I cannot obtain the visa.

I know people who've done it. It definitely won't be a problem. There's nothing in the terms for the visa that once you activate it you have to stay - you can come and go as you please in and out of the country

*edit*

I say visa, but you're not getting a visa with your POE letter, you're getting a work permit

Thanks!

It's fine, but you still need your bank statement with proof of funds, proof of two years of insurance and a passport valid for at least 2 years.

It's fine, but you still need your bank statement with proof of funds, proof of two years of insurance and a passport valid for at least 2 years.

Passport is OK, no on the insurance and funds though. Surely if I have a flight booked for the next day and don't leave the airport, that should be fine?

Passport is OK, no on the insurance and funds though. Surely if I have a flight booked for the next day and don't leave the airport, that should be fine?

No. If you want them to issue your work permit, you must provide the required documents. Otherwise, they can and will refuse to issue your permit.

A return flight might theoretically cover you instead of $2500, but that would be if the flight was booked for a year away. Immigration aren't stupid; if you tell them you're leaving the next day and coming back at a later stage, they'll assume you plan to come back without insurance or the funds to cover yourself.

I met a girl at the airport who was activating her visa and returning home for a while. Even though she had all the required documents, she still got a grilling from Immigration about why she was leaving again (not in a confrontational way, but in a bemused way). There's no chance that they just won't notice you're missing most of the required documents.

Cool, thanks for advice. I'm good for POE and the money, insurance is the only thing concerning really!
    Hopefully they don't ask, but I'll be prepared if they do.

You can buy insurance and cancel it for a full refund within the cool-off period.

But take your chances if you want. All that'll happen is they'll refuse to grant you the work permit.

• Advertisement

You can buy insurance and cancel it for a full refund within the cool-off period.

But take your chances if you want. All that'll happen is they'll refuse to grant you the work permit.

I'm not gonna take my chances, I'll have insurance docs with me...
    Although which insurance company have the cooling off period? That would be the safest bet by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 onworld

USIT do one for €384. You have a 14 day period to cancel from the issue date, once the policy hasn’t started.

I guess you could buy the insurance a few days before you go to start a day or two after you land there, and cancel it right before the start date on the day you return.

I'm trying to find an insurer who will refund the insurance pro-rata, in case I end up coming back after a few months. Is anyone aware of such a policy?

I have insurance with VHI and it says:
    Cooling off period: You have 14 days within receipt of this document to cancel your Backpacker policy and still be eligible to receive a full refund on your policy. No refunds are paid where cancellation requests are made outside of the cooling-off period.

So intending to book flights for the 20th of march from Heathrow to Tornoto for 2 days, so I can collect my permit. (My POE expires on April 1st, so need to get permit before expiry - also, I'm working in London the week of 23rd, so it's handy for me)

Some quick checks:
    • Arrive in Toronto
    • Have POE
    • Have proof of funds
    • Have proof of 2 year insurance

Obtain permit from immigration, check out the city for 2 nights, return to London, take comfort in the knowledge I can live & work in Canada for 24 months, correct?

I wanna make sure I've got my sh*t together before I book my travel!
    Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

Just back from a weeks touring with a friend to Toronto and down to Boston. Activitating the whv took 5 mins and the guy didn't ask about funds or health insurance. I have a few things to tie up back here at home but I'm thinking of heading back over around paddys day, flights seem reasonable. Am still toying with the idea or Vancouver but I might do year two there if all goes ok. I sorted a bank account with TD and sim and SIN. Each took about ten mins max in around the eaton centre, just applying for jobs now, just retail or bar work, but I'm sure it'll be more doable when I'm over there. I've been emailing people on kijiji for house shares but no reply yet. Travelling on my own so if anyone's heading over that time and fancies a pint give me a shout.

tInman09 wrote: »
    Just back from a weeks touring with a friend to Toronto and down to Boston. Activitating the whv took 5 mins and the guy didn't ask about funds or health insurance. I have a few things to tie up back here at home but I'm thinking of heading back over around paddys day, flights seem reasonable. Am still toying with the idea or Vancouver but I might do year two there if all goes ok. I sorted a bank account with TD and sim and SIN. Each took about ten mins max in around the eaton centre, just applying for jobs now, just retail or bar work, but I'm sure it'll be more doable when I'm over there. I've been emailing people on kijiji for house shares but no reply yet. Travelling on my own so if anyone's heading over that time and fancies a pint give me a shout.

Whats up Tinman
    Did they Iissue the SIN on the day or did it take a few days to process? Also what phone company did you go for ?

Im heading Toronto April 16th on my own and my biggest concern is finding a good place to stay at a reasonable price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 P_MAL

Hi Folks,

I'm kinda in the same boat, as in I'm flying on 16 of April because my offer expires on 24 April. I have the money saved and would just need to buy insurance, however I feel I'm not prepared at all for going in terms of booking hostels, recruitment agencies, or any of that jazz. Just wondering what the norm was before going?

Cheers for any advice!

P_MAL wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm kinda in the same boat, as in I'm flying on 16 of April because my offer expires on 24 April. I have the money saved and would just need to buy insurance, however I feel I'm not prepared at aill for going in terms of booking hostels, recruitment agencies, or any of that jazz. Just wondering what the norm was before going?

Cheers for any advice!

Where about are you going in Canada ?

Insurance and hostel can be done in a day then you will be prepared :) I think usit are doing insurance for 299. Ive just booked the canadiana hostel in Toronto for 2 weeks for 480 dollars. Even though I have most of that stuff sorted I still feel as if im not prepared, but this is an opportunity not to missed !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

ROFY123 wrote: »
    Whats up Tinman
    Did they Iissue the SIN on the day or did it take a few days to process? Also what phone company did you go for ?

Im heading Toronto April 16th on my own and my biggest concern is finding a good place to stay at a reasonable price!

Hi, they issued it in about 15 mins. I was staying in planet traveler hostel and went to the services Canada office on college street just a few blocks from the hostel. It was empty so took no time. I went with Virgin mobile seemed to offer a decent deal, I got 2gb of data a month, there's free wifi almost everywhere in Toronto so hopefully that will do me. I'm messaging ads of kijiji for rooms but getting no replies, which makes sense I suppose, only natural they'd want to meet a roommate in person. Toronto is fairly big and by all accounts the accomodation options are mixed from new apartments with gyms etc to complete kips. Just gotta keep trying I suppose, book a few days in a hostel when I land and see. Funnily enough from talking to people the last few days all are recommending me to go to Vancouver. But late in the day as I had planned on Toronto but I haven't ruled anything out yet and no flights booked.

• Advertisement

tinman09 wrote: »
    Hi, they issued it in about 15 mins. I was staying in planet traveler hostel and went to the services Canada office on college street just a few blocks from the hostel. It was empty so took no time. I went with Virgin mobile seemed to offer a decent deal, I got 2gb of data a month, there's free wifi almost everywhere in Toronto so hopefully that will do me. I'm messaging ads of kijiji for rooms but getting no replies, which makes sense I suppose, only natural they'd want to meet a roommate in person. Toronto is fairly big and by all accounts the accomodation options are mixed from new apartments with gyms etc to complete kips. Just gotta keep trying I suppose, book a few days in a hostel when I land and see. Funnily enough from talking to people the last few days all are recommending me to go to Vancouver. But late in the day as I had planned on Toronto but I haven't ruled anything out yet and no flights booked.

Ye from what I've seen online some of the accomodation looks rough! I hope to get somewhere close to downtown for about $650 per month, but that's probably not realistic.
    I haven't gave Vancouver much thought as my heart has been set on Toronto. From what I've heard there is lots of jobs available in Toronto at the min!

Advertisement