Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

shellellen wrote: »
    Ya Toronto seems to be the best option to begin with! I dont want to go solely for work though! I want a nice long break and to leave my plans open, the beauty of travelling alone I guess. You never know who you might meet or what roads open up for you. I think best thing to do is get there and not to ruin your trip with planning too much. Im open to anything! The more spontaneous the better :) Can always pick up a job in a cafe or bar til ya get your dream job :)

On that im Pretty sure you have to do some course to get a very to be able to serve food or drinks could be wrong tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shellellen

A shop then :p

shellellen wrote: »
    A shop then :p

lol nah exactly just letting ya know thats as far as i know lol same im gonna be looking for a technican job once i get my visa there loads up on offer atm and then look for a systems admin work once i have something secured . should be good tho ! we may all have to do a boards toronto piss up at some point in the future lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Howya folks just seen this thread, have been to Canada a couple times, just to let tis know, travel north from ant city over there about 2.5/3 hours and it's lakes, forest etc, bloody lovely country
    Hope all goes well with the visas, cos there's gonna be a fcuk ton of applications (last yr, gone in 48hrs apparently :( ) hope yis get lucky, mates over there on his second yr havin a ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Well this would be exactly why I'm not going to Alberta:
    Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Ah sask isn't the backwater people think it is, it's a nice city, bigger and nicer than what I thought it would be before I came and there's a lot of construction here at the moment, but the weather really is the pits, the winter everything revolves around the weather, I have to start my car for 20mins in the morning and leave it running before I can drive it then plug it in while I'm at work etc if you step outside in the weather for longer than 15mins it's actually v dangerous, seems there's no life here in the winter which lasts til the end of March (5months)...my other issues have been how costly the place is and taxes that you have to pay which I think is Canada wide, I remember asking my recruiter what taxes and charges etc were and he hadn't a clue, never thought I'd be losing as much money as what I am! Property prices are through the roof here too!
    I dunno, I'm just a bit disappointed with the place so far, I was expecting a lot more to be honest but I'll definately give it more time and see, wait til winter passes and my mood might lift a bit, at least I've a secure job and enough money to get by which is a positive!

For anyone else interested in Vancouver, join the groups on Facebook. I would not call anywhere 'easy to get a job' but in the past year Irish have been strolling in and getting work just fine. Chat to people in Van there. Plus, tons of people here and there have already connected on LinkedIn and are happy to help other Irish with work. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lemonade22

Hey,
    This post totally put me at ease a bit. I am hopefully heading out to Toronto in 2014 and have major anxiety about it. I'm going on my own, but sometimes the thought of it makes me want to reconsider.
    I think having common sense typed out in front of you can do wonders!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

lemonade22 wrote: »
    Hey,
    This post totally put me at ease a bit. I am hopefully heading out to Toronto in 2014 and have major anxiety about it. I'm going on my own, but sometimes the thought of it makes me want to reconsider.
    I think having common sense typed out in front of you can do wonders!

hey lemonade yeah i was the very same as i was ment to be goin with friends but still goin to on my own anyway :) loads seem to be traveling on their own which is a good thing as making friends should be easier then.. when ya thinking of going in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

lol nah exactly just letting ya know thats as far as i know lol same im gonna be looking for a technican job once i get my visa there loads up on offer atm and then look for a systems admin work once i have something secured . should be good tho ! we may all have to do a boards toronto piss up at some point in the future lol
    that would be an excellent idea lol a boards piss up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Hi guys. Nice to see others talking about going it alone.

I'll be heading to Canada at some stage in 2014 also (providing I get a visa). I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll be going it alone. I've never traveled alone. Its exciting as well as being a little scary not having a job secured over there and not knowing anyone over there so I'll be all by myself.

I'll be looking for jobs in the finance sector but would take anything to start really. Haven't decided where in Canada I'll go but I'll go wherever the best chance of securing a job is. I'd have no problem living anywhere in the country. Really looking forward to experiencing something new.

so apparently the first round in the uk iec was shut after 20 minutes

• Advertisement

so apparently the first round in the uk iec was shut after 20 minutes

Holy sh1t. Thank God for the extra places we have on our's this year.

I'm surprised at the numbers ^^ they're indicating 2.4% GDP next year. That is not far behind Canada at all...

Holy sh1t. Thank God for the extra places we have on our's this year.

I'm surprised at the numbers ^^ they're indicating 2.4% GDP next year. That is not far behind Canada at all...
    Well gross population there what 12 times the amount more of out population so chances the Irish iec will go as fast is far less plus it was only a portion of quota

I think the population to quota amount is most important, even before this years near-doubling of Irish places, we still had a far better quota/capita rate than the UK. Plus, at the most recent job abroad fairs in Dublin, the Canadians were quoted as saying they were surprised by a drop in Irish job applicants. They said they don't know if most interested people are already gone or that the economy here is picking up. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Hi guys. Nice to see others talking about going it alone.

I'll be heading to Canada at some stage in 2014 also (providing I get a visa). I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll be going it alone. I've never traveled alone. Its exciting as well as being a little scary not having a job secured over there and not knowing anyone over there so I'll be all by myself.

I'll be looking for jobs in the finance sector but would take anything to start really. Haven't decided where in Canada I'll go but I'll go wherever the best chance of securing a job is. I'd have no problem living anywhere in the country. Really looking forward to experiencing something new.

I'd think wisely before you say "I'd have no problem living anywhere in the country"...I'm living in Saskatchewan and the weather is horrendous you'd have to experience it to believe, the place is a small bit backward and clannish at times I feel also, saying that, it has the lowest unemployment and the highest wages in Canada so it is probably ur best bet for work, so my advice is do ur research thoroughly and talk to as many people as you can, I know your bursting to come over here probably but really do ur research and plan your move thoroughly and try organize a job before you arrive as the recruitment process is slow and the place is very expensive and your setting up costs also so you'll fly through money! Don't move here on a whim, be realistic or else it could end up be a very bad experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lemonade22

Well visas are opening mid to late january I think? So with processing and all that jazz....I'm hoping before April anyway!
    I get this mad lurches of really looking forward to it and then a swing of untold terror! haha.
    What about you?

lemonade22 wrote: »
    Well visas are opening mid to late january I think? So with processing and all that jazz....I'm hoping before April anyway!
    I get this mad lurches of really looking forward to it and then a swing of untold terror! haha.
    What about you?

Yeah we got hints from different people that it could be 'December or earlier' but now they're saying 'likely January'. I'm guessing it will more likely follow the 2013 format, which was Jan 29th opening. ;)

Yeah I'm pretty excited. I just get occasional reminders in my head that it's not a holiday and a lot has to be done! It's another adventure I suppose! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rllisctsy

I'm heading to Calgary sole in Feb 2014, got my 2 year visa in March 2013 so have to activate it before it expires. Is there anyone else heading there. I know the cold weather harsh and temperatures well below -20. Anyone else on the same boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

Rllisctsy wrote: »
    I'm heading to Calgary sole in Feb 2014, got my 2 year visa in March 2013 so have to activate it before it expires. Is there anyone else heading there. I know the cold weather harsh and temperatures well below -20. Anyone else on the same boat?

I'll be travelling to Calgary alone too probably around May 2014.

Want to sort getting my drivers license before I leave.

I did the year long J1 to the USA alone back in 2010/2011 and it was an amazing experience. Made brilliant friends who either come visit me here once a year or I go see them. One thing I would say to you is it takes about 3 months to make proper friends or be integrated into a pre-existing social circle. But once you're ok with the odd Saturday night in alone at the beginning and have the mental strength to sit through a few job offer rejections you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

LilyCullen wrote: »
    Want to sort getting my drivers license before I leave.

Just so you are aware, you need to hold an Irish license for a minimum of 2 years to be able to transfer to a Canadian license (you still have to sit a test in most provinces).

If you don't transfer to a Canadian license you can only drive legally for 3 month on your Irish license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

fergusb wrote: »
    Just so you are aware, you need to hold an Irish license for a minimum of 2 years to be able to transfer to a Canadian license (you still have to sit a test in most provinces).

If you don't transfer to a Canadian license you can only drive legally for 3 month on your Irish license.

but it's still handier to have my full license rather than my provisional going over right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Yeah, even if you go home in the future at least you have it, definitely would suggest getting it anyway.

There's also rumours that Ireland and Canada will sign a deal for a straight license swap (like they have for the UK). The rumours have been around for a while but if it comes in then you should be easily able to get a Canadian license (if you have an Irish one for 2 years).

That said, if you need to drive in Canada, after 3 months there isn't much difference between a Full and Provisional Irish license. Neither are legal to drive on. If you want to get a Canadian license without an irish license, it takes 2 years of being a Novice driver plus sitting a few tests and taking mandatory lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 del2

Pretty much in the same position as you lads ^^ :)

Where's everyone heading to? Vancouver anyone?

Am thinking of heading to vancouver also all going well with the visa. Also lost a few people who have changed there mind about going :O

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

fergusb wrote: »
    Yeah, even if you go home in the future at least you have it, definitely would suggest getting it anyway.

There's also rumours that Ireland and Canada will sign a deal for a straight license swap (like they have for the UK). The rumours have been around for a while but if it comes in then you should be easily able to get a Canadian license (if you have an Irish one for 2 years).

That said, if you need to drive in Canada, after 3 months there isn't much difference between a Full and Provisional Irish license. Neither are legal to drive on. If you want to get a Canadian license without an irish license, it takes 2 years of being a Novice driver plus sitting a few tests and taking mandatory lessons.

I've read somewhere that you (edited by Mod to: got a bad deal) on car insurance if your trying to get insured on an Irish/International licence rather than a canadian one,do you know if theres any truth to that? I wasn't on planning changing mine immediately but will do if it will cost much less on insurance,plus if my employer saw I had a non canadian licence it might cause problems in that area too,if part of the job is driving that is.

del2 wrote: »
    Am thinking of heading to vancouver also all going well with the visa. Also lost a few people who have changed there mind about going :O

Honestly I started out without getting friends involved. There are always bailers! The pull factor really works on me - that is really a stunning city, a constant stream of Irish+Brits going over getting work without much hassle and a wonderful quality of life. I ain't looking back now! ;)

I no I really have my heart set on going aswell. Im looking into work options before I go. Alot of people seem to choose toronto so good 2 hear others are heading to vancouver :) What kind of work you looking for over there?

del2 wrote: »
    I no I really have my heart set on going aswell. Im looking into work options before I go. Alot of people seem to choose toronto so good 2 hear others are heading to vancouver :) What kind of work you looking for over there?

There definitely is a fair few of us around here, if you check out on Craigslist too, you'll sure under house shares: "house mates are 2 Irish and one Mexican" etc. There's plenty of us over there I think.

This has good info. on recent migration patterns: http://www.canadafaq.ca/canadian-immigration-facts.php . Calgary might be popular with Irish but for the whole of Canadian imigration it's just a drop in the water.

Work? I'm aiming for something in international trade, technology giants even media but I'd happily settle for an office job to stem the out-flow of funds if I have to, then look upwards. How about yourself mate?

It might be some effort to get going but I remember it's for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fionas987

rlad wrote: »
    hey guys
    just wondering if any of ye could give me some advice, im hopefully moving to canada in 2014 in the IEC visa, i was ment to be going with a few friends but for reasons there unable to go now,

iv never traveled alone before so i find it a bit daunting but still determined to go, have ye got any tips... or advice they would be greatly appreciated :D

cheers:):D

Hey, Im hoping to go over in November later this year, just wondering how much money you're taking if you dont mind me asking, I'm hoping to have at least 6k and maybe leave an extra 900 at home for emergencies

fionas987 wrote: »
    Hey, Im hoping to go over in November later this year, just wondering how much money you're taking if you dont mind me asking, I'm hoping to have at least 6k and maybe leave an extra 900 at home for emergencies

maybe have the money with ya tucked away sometimes in an emergency waiting isnt what ya need to be doing on money ! but about the same here yeah enough to work out to about 10 thousand canadian dollars

fionas987 wrote: »
    There definitely is a fair few of us around here, if you check out on Craigslist too, you'll sure under house shares: "house mates are 2 Irish and one Mexican" etc. There's plenty of us over there I think.

This has good info. on recent migration patterns: http://www.canadafaq.ca/canadian-immigration-facts.php . Calgary might be popular with Irish but for the whole of Canadian imigration it's just a drop in the water.

Work? I'm aiming for something in international trade, technology giants even media but I'd happily settle for an office job to stem the out-flow of funds if I have to, then look upwards. How about yourself mate?

It might be some effort to get going but I remember it's for this. :D

Well I am currently just waiting to finish the my nursing registration, hopefully doesnt take much longer. The pics are amazing, looks like such a beautiful place. Ive been n contact with recruitment agencies out there so fingers crossed. Its good to no so many other people will b travelling alone 2...makes it a little less scary. Feel like I could chicken out at any moment. Hopefully not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fionas987

Rllisctsy wrote: »

Hey, who did you go with for your visa? Im registered with go for less but they havent opened yet..

Advertisement