Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

del2 wrote: »
    Well I am currently just waiting to finish the my nursing registration, hopefully doesnt take much longer. The pics are amazing, looks like such a beautiful place. Ive been n contact with recruitment agencies out there so fingers crossed. Its good to no so many other people will b travelling alone 2...makes it a little less scary. Feel like I could chicken out at any moment. Hopefully not

Did the recruitment agencies help much? I've contacted a few and said I will be in the area in the coming weeks, looking for work, they basically won't do much until I drop in, in person basically. But I am keen to do anything else now that I can to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamielmbrd

Did the recruitment agencies help much? I've contacted a few and said I will be in the area in the coming weeks, looking for work, they basically won't do much until I drop in, in person basically. But I am keen to do anything else now that I can to prepare.

I would like to know about the recruitment agencies also before going.
    Im planing on heading over on my own in april or may depending on if i get the visa or not when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hey all- I'm hoping to head to Toronto in August/Sept on my lonesome. Am darting between terrified and excited! I'm fairly good at chatting to people, so amn't too scared about meeting folk....

Anyone got any other tidbits of advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hey all- I'm hoping to head to Toronto in August/Sept on my lonesome. Am darting between terrified and excited! I'm fairly good at chatting to people, so amn't too scared about meeting folk....

Anyone got any other tidbits of advice for me?

Plan on heading over myself at that time, scary enough - but exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LesSavyFav

Hi all, Just saw this thread and finding it great to read. Im heading over on my own to Toronto some time later this year, all going well with the Visa. Like a lot of others my mate has bailed on me but thinking about it im actually looking forward to the adventure of going it alone. Now all I need to do is save :D

How much funds are people planning to bring? Also, have any of you guys booked flights yet? Who are the cheapest to fly with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

LesSavyFav wrote: »
    Hi all, Just saw this thread and finding it great to read. Im heading over on my own to Toronto some time later this year, all going well with the Visa. Like a lot of others my mate has bailed on me but thinking about it im actually looking forward to the adventure of going it alone. Now all I need to do is save :D

How much funds are people planning to bring? Also, have any of you guys booked flights yet? Who are the cheapest to fly with?

About 10 thousand canadian so about 7 grand how about yourself haven't looked at flights yet but aerlingus direct I'd say no hassle of change overs and there no real cheapest it varies allot depend on time between and when etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fionas987

About 10 thousand canadian so about 7 grand how about yourself haven't looked at flights yet but aerlingus direct I'd say no hassle of change overs and there no real cheapest it varies allot depend on time between and when etc

Hey, who are you going with for your visa? Im signed up to go for less, but they havent issued them yet..

Hey, who are you going with for your visa? Im signed up to go for less, but they havent issued them yet..im hopefully bringing 6K and leaving 1k at home for just in case money. aerlingus fly there I'm going to book for Nov 1st (2014) one way is just under €400

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

fionas987 wrote: »
    Hey, who are you going with for your visa? I'm signed up to go for less, but they haven't issued them yet...

And they won't be, either. You still have to apply directly to the IEC (which isn't open yet) unless I'm missing something! Third parties cannot apply on your behalf, and if they could, would you actually be able to trust them?
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

GrumPy wrote: »
    And they won't be, either. You still have to apply directly to the IEC (which isn't open yet) unless I'm missing something! Third parties cannot apply on your behalf, and if they could, would you actually be able to trust them?
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

What?? I dont get it, go for less has a Canada 2 year visa programme that hasnt opened yet, Iv paid 75 euro for registering with them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

You paying them to check your forms
    You are still doing all the leg work

Also from the IEC page:

Please note that no third party organization/vendor can guarantee you a spot in the IEC initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

What?? I dont get it, go for less has a Canada 2 year visa programme that hasnt opened yet, Iv paid 75 euro for registering with them??

"Please note that no third party organization/vendor can guarantee you a spot in the IEC initiative"
    go4less don't issue the visas, only the canadian government does, you would be better off applying yourself, it is simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Sorry to say but You have wasted 75 euro

Good God you won't be worrying about money. I trailed the 2013 threads and most were saying 4-5 k CAD. If living modestly, you could go almost a year without work over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Good God you won't be worrying about money. I trailed the 2013 threads and most were saying 4-5 k CAD. If living modestly, you could go almost a year without work over there.

Surviving on $10,000 for a full year would be living VERY modestly.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Surviving on $10,000 for a full year would be living VERY modestly.

very modest lol but no i dont plan to go mad either i just wanna have enough and not be stuck for cash at all . people hugely underestimate how much money you do really need !thats why im gonna have that much and more if i can !canada is far from cheap

Yeah Im hoping to have around 6 or 7 grand too. Just to be on the safe side. I dont want to have to take a crap job straight away just to survive. Im saving my @ss off now. Im hoping when I get there I will be so used of saving that I wont tear through my money too quickly :)

Yeah Aer lingus looks like the best option alright. Im looking at flights for September now and looks like it will be around 380 which isnt too bad. With the flight, visa cost and health insurance Im hoping a grand should cover expenses before I go.

Hey, who are you going with for your visa? Im signed up to go for less, but they havent issued them yet..im hopefully bringing 6K and leaving 1k at home for just in case money. aerlingus fly there I'm going to book for Nov 1st (2014) one way is just under €400

Hey, Im not going through anyone for my Visa. Im applying myself as it seems pretty straightforward and I dont want any unnessessary expense. Probably a good Idea to leave a few quid at home alright, most people advise that. I think il leave money with my folks and they can wire it over if tehr eis an emergency like in the case that I become homeless/ need to be bailed out of jail etc! :D

Yeah Im hoping to have around 6 or 7 grand too. Just to be on the safe side. I dont want to have to take a crap job straight away just to survive. Im saving my @ss off now. Im hoping when I get there I will be so used of saving that I wont tear through my money too quickly :)

Yeah Aer lingus looks like the best option alright. Im looking at flights for September now and looks like it will be around 380 which isnt too bad. With the flight, visa cost and health insurance Im hoping a grand should cover expenses before I go.

exactly my idea too gonna need far more money then ya think its a fact !

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

****! i didnt think you would need that much going over, i was only goin to have the minimum goin or just over it maybe i should consider going next year instead..

• Advertisement

rlad wrote: »
    ****! i didnt think you would need that much going over, i was only goin to have the minimum goin or just over it maybe i should consider going next year instead..

well i mean look at it this way im sure you could do it on minimium
    sau you get a house share say 500 a month for sakes of the conversation
    so rent is 500 amonth and you probably need first and last months inital so theres a grand gone then say take out 50 a month for a phone .first 2 months your down 1100 thats without food or anything else you gotta get or need .

A good budgeter has less reason to fear. Irish charities in Australia have been reporting to the Irish govt. of young Irish men arriving with 4-5K Euro and blowing it all in a month, then asking for help. You could give them 10k and the same would happen.

I agree 500 a month for a house share is what I've found to be average. I've estimated about 500 more for expenses, food, phone etc. Of course you will only pay the deposit once, that should not be counted monthly. Most rent on Craigslist that I read (I've viewed probably over 400 adverts individually) said about half of one month deposit is needed, no more, that's 250.

It depends on what your plan/intentions are while seeking working. I will not be living a fun life while unemployed. No splashing cash. I'll ease up when gainfully employed. I've chatted to some people on FB heading DOWNTOWN while seeking work. It's as if they are itching to lose money. Why move to the most expensive part of a city while unemployed? I'm aiming about 30 minutes outside of a big city with decent commute and rent. 500 a month for expenses besides rent seems to be a decent estimate from the chats I've had. There are plenty of Irish over there now, who will chat to you here about it.

So, 1,000-1100 CAD per month estimated. But, you plan for what you can see, not what you don't. I add a little 'stress test' of an extra 150 CAD per month unexpected to see if I could cope. Again, most people I've talked to say they got an OK job within 4-6 weeks of arrival. But we Irish are and upwardly mobile lot (a good thing) and many report getting better jobs just weeks later. I've put aside 5 months living expenses, plus deposit, start up, flights, first week accom, insurance outside of that.

Of course you will only pay the deposit once, that should not be counted monthly

nope not monthly but should be taken into account esp if someone only wanted to head with the minimum. but i agree even with the amount i plan taking i wont be going mad with it at all gonna be going as cheap as possible first until get a bit of work sorted initially , same with living i plan somewhere 20-30 minutes outside the city .plus phone plans are decent some really good plans to be had for 50 dollars a month or so i mean that's equivalent of as much as i use on my phone here and you talking free international texts etc and data so on that front seems reasonable .

Yeah I've read that they charge for lots of little things with phones that we get for free e.g. caller ID. I think it's a good investment to get a decent phone, service and even data. All the times you'll benefit from Google Maps etc. Plus for starting off I think it's nearly as important as food! :)

Yeah I've read that they charge for lots of little things with phones that we get for free e.g. caller ID. I think it's a good investment to get a decent phone, service and even data. All the times you'll benefit from Google Maps etc. Plus for starting off I think it's nearly as important as food! :)
    No even just caller I'd on some cheaper plans your charged to receive calls but ya having a number as well as mobile internet is very important initially

well i mean look at it this way im sure you could do it on minimium
    sau you get a house share say 500 a month for sakes of the conversation
    so rent is 500 amonth and you probably need first and last months inital so theres a grand gone then say take out 50 a month for a phone .first 2 months your down 1100 thats without food or anything else you gotta get or need .
    yeah your right i just wasnt thinking practically but hopefully its all work out fine, i should have more goin over by then anyway

hey dose anyone know of any good recruitment agencies or sites to look for jobs there?? be nice to have a job interview lined up to go over to or even just an idea of whats on offer.....
    also heard the visas should be out sometime this week seen it on fb so be ready guys :)

hey dose anyone know of any good recruitment agencies or sites to look for jobs there?? be nice to have a job interview lined up to go over to or even just an idea of whats on offer.....
    also heard the visas should be out sometime this week seen it on fb so be ready guys :)

Lots of Irish say they use Craigslist for quick jobs. The Irish Canadian Immigration Centre recommends Hays recruitment, though I've heard good things about others too.

Where did you read about the visas on FB? I'm on ICAN but nothing new. :cool:

Lots of Irish say they use Craigslist for quick jobs. The Irish Canadian Immigration Centre recommends Hays recruitment, though I've heard good things about others too.

Where did you read about the visas on FB? I'm on ICAN but nothing new. :cool:
    cheers Newsmequick :)
    eh well nothing set in stone but its just a comment i seen in this group which indicates it be out soon:o it might be crap but they shoud be out soon tho:eek:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/123680717695499/?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Whats yere plan when ye get to Canada, stay in a hostel for a while or immendiatly move in with a group ye know or look for fellow Irish guys on gumtree??

Advertisement