Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

iec2014 wrote: »
    Oh really! Do you mind sharing? ..information I mean, not the room haha!
    PM me if it's easier.
    Like I say I wouldn't rule it out and as I have 4 months till I head to Canada, absolutely anything could happen between then and now.

ah no sharing damn lol . sure that wasnt a proposition lol but yeah ill link some stuff when im on my computer

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ckgirl

P.S I don't like cheese :)... .

:D

me either....can't stand it....:P

ckgirl wrote: »
    me either....can't stand it....:P

how about chicken ? cause its even worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 iec2014

ah no sharing damn lol . sure that wasnt a proposition lol but yeah ill link some stuff when im on my computer

Ok! if you insist....I'll share with you hahaha
    I will look out for the links
    Thanks hun :D

how about chicken ? cause its even worse?

I love chicken
    :)

• Advertisement

there isnt really unless your going for a skilled based job.
    no one will take it serious application without a Canadian address and number so you really have to be in the country. and thats info i got from recruiters . where ya planning on heading ?

Hi GIA

I only just noticed your reply!
    I'm heading to Toronto in June.
    I kinda had a feeling that this wasn't going to be as straight forward in terms of applying for jobs over here as a non skilled worker.
    I've heard of people being interviewed over Skype :)...I will have to make sure I find somewhere to stay asap, or use the hostels address?!
    Not sure I have really thought this through haha! I have 4 months to knuckle down because it would help if I knew where in Toronto that I would be best suited to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

Dose anyone know where ya'd be able to scan the documents for the application? as i dont have a scanner

rlad wrote: »
    Dose anyone know where ya'd be able to scan the documents for the application? as i dont have a scanner

got a smart phone ? should be able to get a good enough photo of it that should worth just chance the format to whatever there looking for so pdf or jpeg etc

Hi GIA

I only just noticed your reply!
    I'm heading to Toronto in June.
    I kinda had a feeling that this wasn't going to be as straight forward in terms of applying for jobs over here as a non skilled worker.
    I've heard of people being interviewed over Skype :)...I will have to make sure I find somewhere to stay asap, or use the hostels address?!
    Not sure I have really thought this through haha! I have 4 months to knuckle down because it would help if I knew where in Toronto that I would be best suited to stay.

yeah skype interviews generally would before jobs that require ya specfic skill set or education , where as your not gonna get that for say working in a bar !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Heading to Vancouver alone in April.. Haven't browsed through this thread yet but will do so and hopefully come across some useful info. In the meantime, any useful practical advice welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Heading to Vancouver alone in April.. Haven't browsed through this thread yet but will do so and hopefully come across some useful info. In the meantime, any useful practical advice welcome!

There is a thread on the next page called "Been in Canada 3 months now info inside". There's lots of information in that thread about Vancouver that may come in handy for you!

So the visas are STILL not out yet!! has anyone got new garda vetting?? mine will be out of date the 20th of this month.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

So the visas are STILL not out yet!! has anyone got new garda vetting?? mine will be out of date the 20th of this month.....

Mine is dated 24th of January, if it goes out of date before visas are released I think I'll crack.

GrumPy wrote: »
    Mine is dated 24th of January, if it goes out of date before visas are released I think I'll crack.
    ah your grand for another month so they surly be out by then.....such a pain in the hole waiting for them

infairness tho its pretty much no effort to apply for another one . but yeah the waiting i get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Going through this a good read! Planning to go to Vancouver early 2015 on my own. Never lived abroad so a bit apprehensive but mosty excited! By then most of ye will be across the waters so keep us updated on your experience! :)

guest124 wrote: »
    Going through this a good read! Planning to go to Vancouver early 2015 on my own. Never lived abroad so a bit apprehensive but mosty excited! By then most of ye will be across the waters so keep us updated on your experience! :)

Need a roomie? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

Need a roomie? :P

Haha yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaggieRow747

Hey just came across this thread, im planning on going to toronto end of may/start of june on my own, got my POE today (well i got two for some reason ha). Just wondering is there anyone else leaving there boyfriend/girlfriend but still staying together. Im kinda terrified to go alone especially without the bf but it must be done as there is no jobs in science over here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amre

Hi Everyone

Im 34 and got my provisional offer of the 2 year visa. Im heading over on my own not exactly sure where to settle yet, guess depending on work oppurtunites. Ive travelled alone before but think the age thingy is rasing the fear-ometer!!!
    Hoping to head over end of the summer maybe before. Good to see so many others doing the same.
    Im new on here but its a great place to start!

• Advertisement

Hey just came across this thread, im planning on going to toronto end of may/start of june on my own, got my POE today (well i got two for some reason ha). Just wondering is there anyone else leaving there boyfriend/girlfriend but still staying together. Im kinda terrified to go alone especially without the bf but it must be done as there is no jobs in science over here :(

Hey im single but heading over alone. Thats gotta be hard on you. Im waiting on police checks have a few as ive lived in a few places. Im nervous too but sounds like there is a lot going it alone.
    Might be an idea to organise a meet up for people before heading over get a few contacts down for when we are over there

Youll need an up to date garda clearance if you havent submitted all your documentation yet. Its free and doesnt take too long

Amre wrote: »
    Hey im single but heading over alone. Thats gotta be hard on you. Im waiting on police checks have a few as ive lived in a few places. Im nervous too but sounds like there is a lot going it alone.
    Might be an idea to organise a meet up for people before heading over get a few contacts down for when we are over there

Yeah its gonna be tough more so because this is the first time il be travelling alone so dont no what really to expect or if il even last ha.. Where you planning on heading yourself ? Also are you planning on staying in a hostel or do you have accomadation sorted out ? Yeah its good to hear alot of other people are doing it :):):)

Hey Maggie

I am heading out in June on my own, I am single so I can not offer any advice on long distance relationships, but good for you for wanting to go where the work is.
    I was hoping to make some contacts but as this is an ie forum and I am currently in England haha!
    Not really sure other than arranging to meet up when I get to Toronto?!
    Good luck with your plans :)

Amre wrote: »

Well I am booked into a hostel for a couple of weeks, and then going to look for work and a more permanent place to stay.
    I am really looking forward to it and being alone usually encourages you to make more effort to get to know people.
    Good luck :)

Yeah its gonna be tough more so because this is the first time il be travelling alone so dont no what really to expect or if il even last ha.. Where you planning on heading yourself ? Also are you planning on staying in a hostel or do you have accomadation sorted out ? Yeah its good to hear alot of other people are doing it :):):)

Oops I just answered this to another user haha!

I have booked in to a hostel for 2weeks and then I shall take it from there.
    I'm heading to Toronto and that is where I will spend my 2years, I want to settle in one place and apply for PR as a long term goal.
    What are your plans/expectations other than finding work of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone travel with Air Transat? found a great deal on a one way flight in mid May, its a fraction of other airlines less than €350. same flight with Aer Lingus is 416 give or take, bigger baggage allowance and plane though, hmm.

Oops I just answered this to another user haha!

I have booked in to a hostel for 2weeks and then I shall take it from there.
    I'm heading to Toronto and that is where I will spend my 2years, I want to settle in one place and apply for PR as a long term goal.
    What are your plans/expectations other than finding work of course :)

What hostel did u book into do you mind me asking ? I was looking at booking into the canadiana backpackers inn for a week and hopefully meet some people but then im kinda dreading if i dont find anywhere permanent to stay ya no maybe a week in a hostel wont be long enough!!.My plan is also to settle into toronto also but i also want to take a trip or 2 to the US :):):)

krudler wrote: »
    anyone travel with Air Transat? found a great deal on a one way flight in mid May, its a fraction of other airlines less than €350. same flight with Aer Lingus is 416 give or take, bigger baggage allowance and plane though, hmm.

Someone was asking about them on one of the Facebook groups. (Possibly you :p) Apparently, they bought some new aircraft recently which are nice, the older ones are a bit pokey though, and the food is crap.
    Apparently great deals though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Moving to Canada in 10 days and just got a major dose of apprehension and anxiety about the whole thing! Looking forward to it and all but have a lot of mixed feelings also.

Advertisement