Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Best of luck with it mate. You will be grand and it will be worth it. Think positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GrumPy wrote: »
    Someone was asking about them on one of the Facebook groups. (Possibly you :p) Apparently, they bought some new aircraft recently which are nice, the older ones are a bit pokey though, and the food is crap.
    Apparently great deals though!

Like its a 7hr flight which isnt the worst, food I could care less about I never eat airplane food anyway its rank would just have a big meal before I fly and bring a few munchies on board with me. I tend to stay up all night before I travel and sleep the whole way there anyway, I googled the planes and they dont look any worse than the aerlingus ones so it'd probably be worth the money saved, its over 120 quid difference on some of the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

lads any advice on best way to deal with money on arrival? i'll set up a bank account on arrival, bring some cash. can i withdraw money from my irish account at atm there/

lads any advice on best way to deal with money on arrival? i'll set up a bank account on arrival, bring some cash. can i withdraw money from my irish account at atm there/

Yeah you can, check with the bank about fees though you dont wanna get fleeced every time you take money out, and tell your bank you're going over in case they flag any out of country stuff on your card, you'd be suprised how easy they'd bar your account if they think it's dodgy activity it happened me before a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaggieRow747

Booking flights tonight for 22nd of june, super nervous and excited especially to hand my notice into my ****ty job :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Amre

Yeah its gonna be tough more so because this is the first time il be travelling alone so dont no what really to expect or if il even last ha.. Where you planning on heading yourself ? Also are you planning on staying in a hostel or do you have accomadation sorted out ? Yeah its good to hear alot of other people are doing it :):):)

Hey Ill probably Look at staying in a hostel for the first bit and go from there. Ive got a bit of a wait in terms of documents as Ive to wait on several clearances and medical etc. Hoping to head out end of the summer give me a bit of time to get more money together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amre

Hey Guys

Looking for some advice, Im hoping to head over to canada this summer probably nearer july/august Seems most on here are thinking of Toronto and just wondering what the general feeling is on best place to settle first in terms of good city life, work etc. Im confused and not sure where to head for. Im heading over on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So ive got my visa sorted thinking of heading out end of july/start of August. Just wondering what its like getting bar work out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stevief01

well guys hows things??? I've planned on headin to calgary....but seriously thinking of headin to toronto now... most people on this who are going alone seem to be heading to toronto.... im going alone too.. so I would like to meet up with people who have also arrived on there own!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rlad

astonaidan wrote: »
    So ive got my visa sorted thinking of heading out end of july/start of August. Just wondering what its like getting bar work out there?

hey astonaidan, im heading out start of aug too, i duno what its like getting bar work but ya have to do a smart serve online course, i did it its handy ehough

• Advertisement

stevief01 wrote: »
    well guys hows things??? I've planned on headin to calgary....but seriously thinking of headin to toronto now... most people on this who are going alone seem to be heading to toronto.... im going alone too.. so I would like to meet up with people who have also arrived on there own!!!

when ya thinking of going stevief01? im goin to toronto early aug, kinda ****ting it tho...

rlad wrote: »
    when ya thinking of going stevief01? im goin to toronto early aug, kinda ****ting it tho...

well rlad hows things?? hopefully head out late august or that.. ya same as,but at the same time really looking forward to it!! what ya planning on doing out there??

well rlad hows things?? hopefully head out late august or that.. ya same as,but at the same time really looking forward to it!! what ya planning on doing out there??

Ah yeah good cheers pal. Ah yeah cool im looking forward too but is bit daunting going solo. Ill do anything really till i get settled, have a B.Sc so prob look for work in that but as long as i get something ill be happy. What ya plan on working at yourself man?

Ah yeah good cheers pal. Ah yeah cool im looking forward too but is bit daunting going solo. Ill do anything really till i get settled, have a B.Sc so prob look for work in that but as long as i get something ill be happy. What ya plan on working at yourself man?

yeah plan to do the same until I get settled... anything at all just like urself.. !!!!! to be honest i just fancy a change as well... stuck in a job that i really don't like at the moment...

yeah plan to do the same until I get settled... anything at all just like urself.. !!!!! to be honest i just fancy a change as well... stuck in a job that i really don't like at the moment...

ah yeah i know what ya mean man i cant get work here at all, its fairly miserable theres feck all here now, pleanty of opportunities over there, did ya decide where ur going to yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

ah yeah i know what ya mean man i cant get work here at all, its fairly miserable theres feck all here now, pleanty of opportunities over there, did ya decide where ur going to yet?

Jaysis the forum gotta Bitta life back in it lol

i think im going to head for toronto it seems to be the place where everyone is heading for and to meet up with people aswell... U def heading in august????

Jaysis the forum gotta Bitta life back in it lol

Lol back to life. Did ya go over across the pond yet pal?

i think im going to head for toronto it seems to be the place where everyone is heading for and to meet up with people aswell... U def heading in august????

Good stuff man yeah it seems to be the place to go alright. Ya true wouldnt mind meeting up with a few in the same boat meself.... Ya man booked ticket for 4th Aug. Did u books urs yet??

Good stuff man yeah it seems to be the place to go alright. Ya true wouldnt mind meeting up with a few in the same boat meself.... Ya man booked ticket for 4th Aug. Did u books urs yet??

didnt book mine just yet waiting for the work permit!!!! when i get that ill set the ball rolling... did you book a return flight or one way??? i think some of us on this should meet up in toronto for PINTS,,,:D best way to meet up with people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Lol back to life. Did ya go over across the pond yet pal?

nah not till august gotta keep that saving . i aiming to go with as much as i can.

I'm here :D landed earlier today in Toronto, immigration was simple, queued for a few mins, guy just took my passport and IEC letter, and that was it, didnt ask for proof of insurance or funds or anything. There was a good few Irish on the plane too. And now to find a bar and locate some potential housemates :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    I'm here :D landed earlier today in Toronto, immigration was simple, queued for a few mins, guy just took my passport and IEC letter, and that was it, didnt ask for proof of insurance or funds or anything. There was a good few Irish on the plane too. And now to find a bar and locate some potential housemates :pac:

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 solotravel

Amre wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Looking for some advice, Im hoping to head over to canada this summer probably nearer july/august Seems most on here are thinking of Toronto and just wondering what the general feeling is on best place to settle first in terms of good city life, work etc. Im confused and not sure where to head for. Im heading over on my own.

Hi Amre,

Like yourself I too am heading alone, I was going to go to Vancouver but im leaning more towards Toronto at the moment. My application was fully approved yesterday so on goes the planning. When are you thinking of going?

didnt book mine just yet waiting for the work permit!!!! when i get that ill set the ball rolling... did you book a return flight or one way??? i think some of us on this should meet up in toronto for PINTS,,,:D best way to meet up with people
    Ah yeah not so bad so. Ah nah only booked flight for one way trying to do it on the cheap coz i not working an had get insurance too. Yeah fact! Sounds like a plan :) beer better be nice over there haha

solotravel wrote: »
    Hi Amre,

Like yourself I too am heading alone, I was going to go to Vancouver but im leaning more towards Toronto at the moment. My application was fully approved yesterday so on goes the planning. When are you thinking of going?
    Hey amre and solotravel. Im in the same boat as yourselves heading over on my own in Aug. Are ye going to stay in hostels when ye get there first? I get bit freaked out when i think about it its a big step....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 solotravel

Hi rlad,

Im hoping to go in June/July have nothing booked yet. Im not sure about a hostel, im might look for a hotel for first few nights until i find my bearings. It a pretty big step alright going solo, but at least there are a good few of us in the same boat. I just hope it will be easy to find some kind of work to start with. Have you your ticket booked for August?

Ah yeah not so bad so. Ah nah only booked flight for one way trying to do it on the cheap coz i not working an had get insurance too. Yeah fact! Sounds like a plan :) beer better be nice over there haha

got me work permit everything done!!!! now to book some flights:D ah ya sound i might do the same and book one way!!! i have even started drinking canadian molsen's beer and its nice ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

krudler wrote: »

Keep use posted how you get on! :D

• Advertisement

solotravel wrote: »
    Hi rlad,

Im hoping to go in June/July have nothing booked yet. Im not sure about a hostel, im might look for a hotel for first few nights until i find my bearings. It a pretty big step alright going solo, but at least there are a good few of us in the same boat. I just hope it will be easy to find some kind of work to start with. Have you your ticket booked for August?

ah yeah cool, yeah i hope to get work as soon as i get over there i cant really afford to waste much time not working over there, yeah i have it all booked now :D

Advertisement