Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to Canada alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stevief01

ngoggins wrote: »
    hey anyone headin over around the end of october. im probably heading alone as others have pulled out :(.

When ya land u should just give us all a shout on this and few of us will meet up

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

hey anyone headin over around the end of october. im probably heading alone as others have pulled out :(.

Sometimes you're better off on your own - Lone wolf and all that.....

You have your own space to make your own decisions without been influenced by the pack mentality. Concentrates your mind to make the best life for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kellstrom

Hey lads, I found this forum pretty useful, for I'm makin the move in August to Edmonton. Seems most folk on here are headed to Toronto, would there be many (or any at all) venturing over to Edmonton?? Thought I'd ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Early November for myself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ngoggins

cheers stevief 01 a pint will be needed!!!.thanks Lone Gone it probably will be for the best in the long run. Stinjy are u headin over alone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

kellstrom wrote: »
    Hey lads, I found this forum pretty useful, for I'm makin the move in August to Edmonton. Seems most folk on here are headed to Toronto, would there be many (or any at all) venturing over to Edmonton?? Thought I'd ask!

Lived in Edmonton years ago. Very nice city. Mainly modern. Major University (University of Alberta). Major rivalry with Calgary as to which is the more important city in Alberta. Weather is lovely in Summer (continental) and Winter too. Yep, even though it hits minus 20 and below, the skies are blue, the apartments are super warm, and you just want to get out doors. Apparently one of the sunniest places in Canada too and very little rain from what I remember. The river valley running right through the city is beautiful. Calgary has the backdrop of the Rockies while Edmonton is bang in the prairies, so downhill skiing is confined to the river valley or just outside the city at Rabbit Hill. Apparently there is very good skiing at Red Deer, half way between Edmonton and Calgary. Otherwise just head west to the Rockies and make a long weekend of it. Edmonton has a very large shopping mall, West Edmonton, which was once the largest shopping mall in the world (maybe it still is) - check out its attractions on the net, some of them are really cool - massive wave pool and beach (what else when you are hundreds of kilometres from the sea), various water slides, real dolphins, submarine rides in mini-lake, roller coaster, full size ice skating rink, themed hotel etc. If you want to see some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, go west from Edmonton for several hours and then take the trip from Jasper to Banff - superb mountain scenery, powder-blue coloured lakes, Colombia ice field, Lake Louise, and teh magnificent hotel at Banff You can then turn in to Calgary and drive north back to Edmonton to complete the loop - give yourself a few days to complete - except for Calgary to Edmonton which will take a few hours through a totally flat landscape. Greater Edmonton has a population somewhere abouts the 3/4 to one million mark but I never recall a single traffic jam. City hosts lots of festivals too. For a feel of the city, check out this youtube video: watch?v=nI2XALpqz74

cheers stevief 01 a pint will be needed!!!.thanks Lone Gone it probably will be for the best in the long run. Stinjy are u headin over alone too

Kinda, I'm going on my own but my gran lives there as did I as a child so I'm going to stay with her until I get set up... I'll need to get a grasp of the good places to shop and the good bars etc :) cant wait to go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kellstrom

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Lived in Edmonton years ago. Very nice city. Mainly modern. Major University (University of Alberta). Major rivalry with Calgary as to which is the more important city in Alberta. Weather is lovely in Summer (continental) and Winter too. Yep, even though it hits minus 20 and below, the skies are blue, the apartments are super warm, and you just want to get out doors. Apparently one of the sunniest places in Canada too and very little rain from what I remember. The river valley running right through the city is beautiful. Calgary has the backdrop of the Rockies while Edmonton is bang in the prairies, so downhill skiing is confined to the river valley or just outside the city at Rabbit Hill. Apparently there is very good skiing at Red Deer, half way between Edmonton and Calgary. Otherwise just head west to the Rockies and make a long weekend of it. Edmonton has a very large shopping mall, West Edmonton, which was once the largest shopping mall in the world (maybe it still is) - check out its attractions on the net, some of them are really cool - massive wave pool and beach (what else when you are hundreds of kilometres from the sea), various water slides, real dolphins, submarine rides in mini-lake, roller coaster, full size ice skating rink, themed hotel etc. If you want to see some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, go west from Edmonton for several hours and then take the trip from Jasper to Banff - superb mountain scenery, powder-blue coloured lakes, Colombia ice field, Lake Louise, and teh magnificent hotel at Banff You can then turn in to Calgary and drive north back to Edmonton to complete the loop - give yourself a few days to complete - except for Calgary to Edmonton which will take a few hours through a totally flat landscape. Greater Edmonton has a population somewhere abouts the 3/4 to one million mark but I never recall a single traffic jam. City hosts lots of festivals too. For a feel of the city, check out this youtube video: watch?v=nI2XALpqz74[/QU

Sounds like you enjoyed Edmonton! This Mall looks the business too.. It sounds very similar to Calgary in a lot of ways... I'm hoping to get some work along office admin kinda stuff, a bank would be ideal as thats where I've most experience. But to be honest as soon as I get over I'll take any job going!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

just booked my flight to Toronto end of September, heading on my own, going to hostel it for a week in the hope of grabbing accommodation not too long after I get there any1 else planning on going around then ?

DermoMIO wrote: »
    just booked my flight to Toronto end of September, heading on my own, going to hostel it for a week in the hope of grabbing accommodation not too long after I get there any1 else planning on going around then ?

its looking like the middle of october for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lower case

Hi folks,

Heading to Toronto at the end of August. This thread is great, I have the same plan as the rest of ye, stay in a hostel for a week or so while I look for accommodation. Nice to see so many people travelling alone, bit nerve racking but it'll be a good laugh I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Looking at the flights there through Skyscanner and flights are coming up 261 on the site then when it goes into the Aer Lingus site it comes up as 380 is this normal, the dates are for 24/26 October

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

lower case wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Heading to Toronto at the end of August. This thread is great, I have the same plan as the rest of ye, stay in a hostel for a week or so while I look for accommodation. Nice to see so many people travelling alone, bit nerve racking but it'll be a good laugh I'm sure!

same as meself theres allot peaople in the same boat really . sometimes thats the best way you only have to suit yourself . as scary as it can seem .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Flight booked for 29th of January. Heading to Calgary via us. Anyone else heading around then? Traveling solo like a lot.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Looking at the flights there through Skyscanner and flights are coming up 261 on the site then when it goes into the Aer Lingus site it comes up as 380 is this normal, the dates are for 24/26 October

Yup the basic is probably the cheap and then you add taxes and charges... it was happening for me too!

mossy14 wrote: »
    Flight booked for 29th of January. Heading to Calgary via us. Anyone else heading around then? Traveling solo like a lot.
    was just looking into calgary there. looks like a really nice spot. not sure now whether heading to calagary or toronto!! any suggestions?

I suppose it depends on what kinda job your after or what your qualifications are if you are are wanting to work. I'm a sparks so i reckon Calgary would be my best option.

just looking for anything, think calgary may be easier to get used to cause its a good bit smaller

will prob take a few months to get use to any new surroundings. I reckon the snow will be the big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

will prob take a few months to get use to any new surroundings. I reckon the snow will be the big test.

Yeah, winter's not too far away now. Seven or eight months of it. :(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

Are you in Calgary yourself mate?

Are you in Calgary yourself mate?

Yes I am.

What is life like there? Would you recommend the place to live and work? any down falls about the place?

What is life like there? Would you recommend the place to live and work? any down falls about the place?

Calgary's a nice city with plenty of work and good amenities. Winter is the main down fall. :)

Any tips on being prepared for the move? I arrive at the end of january. Any essentials i can bring to help make the move easier? nice to get feedback from people who have already done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Any tips on being prepared for the move? I arrive at the end of january. Any essentials i can bring to help make the move easier? nice to get feedback from people who have already done it.

Lots of money, Canada is expensive.

What krudler says is true, it is expensive here so it's best to have a decent
    amount of savings with you (especially if you don't have a job organised).

Before you arrive it's probably a good idea to check what accommodation is available. The main sites are www.kijiji.ca and www.rentfaster.ca. Occupancy rates here are high so it can take a while to find somewhere suitable to live.

And be prepared for winter (it can get very cold here in January and February (it hit -30 degrees Celcius last winter).

If I think think of anything else I'll post it here.

And check out this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057205528

Cheers for that mate il have a look through them. Would be ideal if I could rent with someone. When you say a decent amount how much would you reckon Id need to keep me going without a job for a few weeks? Also would I be better to buy warm clothes over there or by some here in Ireland before I leave?

Cheers for that mate il have a look through them. Would be ideal if I could rent with someone. When you say a decent amount how much would you reckon Id need to keep me going without a job for a few weeks? Also would I be better to buy warm clothes over there or by some here in Ireland before I leave?

I reckon you'd need to bring at least $5,000 but bring more than that if possible. Probably best to buy your winter clothes in Canada. They'll be more suited to the Canadian climate.
    The websites I mentioned above will regularly have people advertising for a housemate so you should be able to find somewhere to live fairly easily.

• Advertisement

Il be aiming for about 10k euros I should be ok money wise then to get me on my feet. Sorry for all the questions but would I be as well stay in a hotel when I arrive for a week so that I will be able to spend a few days looking for the right place to rent? not really ideal looking at places online before I arrive. Also can I bring my laptop with me and will it work there as it is or will I need an adaptor/converter ?

Advertisement