Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online minimum upload speeds??

Options
  • 25-11-2013 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

thinking of changing my provider.
    current speeds down 3 and 0.5 - 1 mgs upload, thinking of going somewhere else but they have 3-4 down 0.3-0.5 up but unlimited.
    is the download speed good enough???

i know this has probably been asked before. sorry if it has.

thanks,

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

thinking of changing my provider.
    current speeds down 3 and 0.5 - 1 mgs upload, thinking of going somewhere else but they have 3-4 down 0.3-0.5 up but unlimited.
    is the download speed good enough???

i know this has probably been asked before. sorry if it has.

thanks,

dave
    Depends what you plan on using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

For online gaming for something like BF4 you would need at least 3mb Download and 1mb Upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's all about the Ping. I'd be going for the one with the lowest latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mileslow

I was googling PS3 and eircom and it brought me here, sorry if I should be creating a new thread instead of responding in here. I currently have a wireless setup at home and typically the games can be a bit laggy, Fifa being one example to the point where it becomes painful to play. I ran a speedtest on my laptop (PS3 is in the same room so I'm not sure if this reflects the upload/download speeds on the PS3?) and got the following results:

Ping: 16ms
    Download: 9.61mb/s
    Upload: 0.64mb/s

Should I be getting lag on the above?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mileslow wrote: »
    I was googling PS3 and eircom and it brought me here, sorry if I should be creating a new thread instead of responding in here. I currently have a wireless setup at home and typically the games can be a bit laggy, Fifa being one example to the point where it becomes painful to play. I ran a speedtest on my laptop (PS3 is in the same room so I'm not sure if this reflects the upload/download speeds on the PS3?) and got the following results:

no thats pretty good, ping is good and upload speed is sufficent, lag is mostly about the ping, anything under 30 is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

mileslow wrote: »

Using wireless? Yes. Wireless is subject to all sorts of interference from sources you're probably not even aware of.

Try a Wired connection to your router and see if that makes a difference. I Almost guarantee it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mileslow

I'll try it this evening and see if it makes a difference, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

thanks lads

Advertisement