Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert music!

• 25-11-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,
    I need yere advice: im in Ty and I've to pick my subjects by the end of January for leaving cert. But I have to rule out all sciences as I've never understood any of them!! So Im very limited to the subjects I can do, im thinking of doing music im doing it now. But I dunno as I have only 3 years done on keyboard and 3 grades of piano an I quit both 2 yers ago as I didny have time as I play alot of sport. I need advice badly!!! Is it hard? Would I be able to do it since I didny do it for JC? What's required for the exam?? Would it be hard to get a B1 in it?? I do have a good music ear though...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Emma16 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I need yere advice: im in Ty and I've to pick my subjects by the end of January for leaving cert. But I have to rule out all sciences as I've never understood any of them!! So Im very limited to the subjects I can do, im thinking of doing music im doing it now. But I dunno as I have only 3 years done on keyboard and 3 grades of piano an I quit both 2 yers ago as I didny have time as I play alot of sport. I need advice badly!!! Is it hard? Would I be able to do it since I didny do it for JC? What's required for the exam?? Would it be hard to get a B1 in it?? I do have a good music ear though...
    If you are looking for a B1 in honors you would have to play the piano to a high grade (eg Grade 5). The practical is worth half the mark of the course, so even with the computer programme, you would have to play 4 pieces on the piano of a level 5 standard.

You didn't have to do it for JC, but it would have helped a lot. You will fly through notes and compositions very quickly, and having a good ear doesn't really help. If you can compose a C1 is within reach, if you can't well you'll have a tough time passing the subject, as composing is worth 25% of the course. The rote learning (eg The scores, Irish Music and Popular Music) is worth the other 25% and is pretty easy, not a lot of work goes into learning them! I would suggest doing something else though from what you have said, unless you can compose and don't need a B1

Advertisement