Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPhone 5s new second hand

• 25-11-2013 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm wondering about buying new sealed iPhone 5s' on donedeal and adverts. Why are people selling them cheap? Are they fake chinese copies? If so how can you tell if you're being cheated or getting a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The old adage goes "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is." Common sense goes a long way when buying online too. If you've any doubts then don't part with your cash. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Passenger wrote: »
    The old adage goes "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is." Common sense goes a long way when buying online too. If you've any doubts then don't part with your cash. ;)

Beware. There are a lot of scammers using donedeal. What they do is meet you somewhere, usually a filling station or shopping centre car park and show you a brand new phone, you can hold it and test it and it works 100%. You agree in a price and the seller tells you that he wants to remove his SIM card and you give him back the phone. He takes out the sim but switches the phone for a fake phone which he puts into the box and hands to you. The person generally doesn't realise till the get home and take the phone out of the box.

I rang a fella selling an iPhone 4S a year ago and asked him about it. He told me I could do any test I wanted on the phone and that it was genuine. I asked if I could test my own SIM card in it and if I was happy, pay him the agreed price but that he wasn't getting the phone back to put into its box...he hung up on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

But if the seal is still on the box, surely they can't say 'My sim is in it' when you inspect in front of them then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Hi I'm wondering about buying new sealed iPhone 5s' on donedeal and adverts. Why are people selling them cheap? Are they fake chinese copies? If so how can you tell if you're being cheated or getting a good deal?

I would never buy it from DoneDeal... Check eBay, at least with that you get PayPal guarantee.. But my guess is that you won't get a bargain when buying a 5s since it is very new..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I would never buy it from DoneDeal... Check eBay, at least with that you get PayPal guarantee.. But my guess is that you won't get a bargain when buying a 5s since it is very new..

At least with done deal you can inspect before buying though. And some 5s' are going for ~550 which is 150 less than in shops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

At least with done deal you can inspect before buying though. And some 5s' are going for ~550 which is 150 less than in shops.

A lot of good inspections will do you if they are insurance jobs, or upgrades. They then blacklist the phone turning it into a very expensive iPod. If they are going cheap - its for a reason. TBH, you seem to be convincing yourself that its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

The only time I would buy a second hand phone is if I'm buying it off someone I know . I saw an iPhone 5s up for sale on Facebook and somebody asked could they get the imei and network it was on the seller refused flat out and took the phone down a half an hour later . So my advice buy it in a shop or get it on contract .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Once the seller has a fair bit of feedback you're safe enough. (adverts)

use checkmend.co.uk to check if the phone has been robbed/reported stolen

Advertisement