Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from GAA

Options
  • 25-11-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I posted this on the Dublin Supporters thread there the other day. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87588703&postcount=1686

Some months ago I was informed by moderator Hammer Archer that if I posted on this thread again I would receive a ban. I had actually forgotten about this warning before i made the above post as i am a relatively infrequent contributor on Boards.ie. Hence I have incurred a 1 month GAA-forum ban. I have been in touch with the moderator via PM.

In the first instance I don't believe I deserve to be permanently barred from this or any other thread. I don't use expletives or attack other posters. I have been accused by others of being 'anti-Dublin' and this is possibly influencing the moderator, I believe. as well as certain comments made in the past on other threads.

The above post was made in the context of a discussion about a Dublin footballer returning to the his mother's native county to attend a function this Christmas.

As you can see, the post is merely a question posed. one or two contributors provided answers, others chose to respond negatively.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi,

I'll be taking a look at your ban in the next couple of hours, thanks.

Gav

Hi,

I've had a look at your posts in the GAA forum and its clear you've some issue against Dublin GAA.
    freddiek wrote: »
    Some months ago I was informed by moderator Hammer Archer that if I posted on this thread again I would receive a ban.
    Hammer Archer banned you back in July for winding up Dublin fans, at the time you were warned about your conduct and here we are 4 months later and you havent changed.
    In the first instance I don't believe I deserve to be permanently barred from this or any other thread. I don't use expletives or attack other posters. I have been accused by others of being 'anti-Dublin' and this is possibly influencing the moderator, I believe. as well as certain comments made in the past on other threads.

The above post was made in the context of a discussion about a Dublin footballer returning to the his mother's native county to attend a function this Christmas.

As you can see, the post is merely a question posed. one or two contributors provided answers, others chose to respond negatively.

In your above mentioned post,
    Question, name a footballer that won an All-Ireland with Dublin whose parents were actually from Dublin?? tough one I know.

I'd argue its not merely a question, its a statement made on purpose to windup the regulars in the Dublin forum.

You've also had a few other posts afterwards that are borderline WUM, namelt :
    its my experience that Real Dubs don't play gaelic sports. many wouldn't look at it on the telly even.
    the ones with the country parents however, lap it up just like any fella from Laois, Cork, Donegal etc.
    how is bitter and twisted if I make a point about the players that come through the ranks to the Dublin team?
    A Dubs supporter should be able to see this.
    The rural influence is so prevalent you would almost think it was the law for a Dublin player to have a parent(s) from 'down the country'.
    But its not. It just happens to be the case that the vast majority of Dublin inter-county footballers tend to have parents who are not from Dublin.
    The conclusion I arrive at is that without the country influence Dublin GAA would have died out many years ago. Dublin would not be winning or even contending for All-Irelands. A Leinster title even would be too much to hope for.

In short, I cant see any reason to over turn this 1 month ban. I'd suggest you change your tune once your ban is up or else the local mods will end up banning you for longer.

You may request an Admin review of this decision if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Thanks for having a look at this. I notice you say "I'd argue its not merely a question - "

so it depends on the person I suppose. I myself would argue its not, a third person may agree with me or yourself. But you're the moderator and I'm not so I suppose I'll have to take my ban.

I can live with that. As I said I don't post that often anyway.

though I would like the issue about Hammer Archer permanently excluding me from the Dubs thread to be addressed. he alone out of the 6 forum mods saw fit to issue this exclusion order. As I said before I think this is unfair on me.

Can you give an opinion on this?

"I've had a look at your posts in the GAA forum and its clear you've some issue against Dublin GAA"

As written this looks like a bit of a simplistic summary. There are legitimate issues here such as Dublin's share of the GAA financial pot and the sponsorship deals the county can avail of which are out of the reach of other counties.

I'd hope that these points can be discussed openly and are not seen as ban-worthy.

again I'm not looking to overturn the 1-month GAA forum ban. just the issue of the Dubs thread permanent ban.

Thanks for having a look at this. I notice you say "I'd argue its not merely a question - "

so it depends on the person I suppose. I myself would argue its not, a third person may agree with me or yourself. But you're the moderator and I'm not so I suppose I'll have to take my ban.

The ban isnt final, youcan request an Admin to look it with a fresh set of eyes and they can overturn the ban and my decision, that is your right if you so choose to use it.

I can live with that. As I said I don't post that often anyway.

though I would like the issue about Hammer Archer permanently excluding me from the Dubs thread to be addressed. he alone out of the 6 forum mods saw fit to issue this exclusion order. As I said before I think this is unfair on me.

Can you give an opinion on this?
    Can you link to where he said this? All I can see is him banning you for a week from the GAA forum back in July.

He also said back in July :
    Your digs at everything to do with Dublin are getting extremly tiresome. Cut it out or be banned very soon.
    This isnt a warning never to post about Dublin, this is a warning to you to change your posting style, if this is what you're pointing towards.
    "I've had a look at your posts in the GAA forum and its clear you've some issue against Dublin GAA"

As written this looks like a bit of a simplistic summary. There are legitimate issues here such as Dublin's share of the GAA financial pot and the sponsorship deals the county can avail of which are out of the reach of other counties.

I'd hope that these points can be discussed openly and are not seen as ban-worthy.

again I'm not looking to overturn the 1-month GAA forum ban. just the issue of the Dubs thread permanent ban.

This isnt the place to debate anything other then your ban, if you want to discuss Dublin GAA then you can do so once your ban is up and you dont fall foul of the charter by trolling, winding up or flaming Dublin supporters, if you can construct your debate without these agendas then users will engage you and you wont be carded or banned.

Again, point me towards where the Mod has permananetly banned you from the Dub thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86251960&postcount=1203

That should show his original warning to not post on the Dubs thread again as he says. The one as i said I forgot about because it was a few months ago and i hadn't been looking at the thread in a good while.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87638908&postcount=1706

and this was after he saw my post the other day.

• Advertisement

In this post :
    Do ye ever notice a lot of the Dub players have half-culchie accents??
    Must be from growing up with de culchie parents and going on all them holidays down de country...
    Ray Cosgrove...the culchiest-sounding Dub I ever heard

It somes up exactly why you were asked not to post in the Dublin GAA thread, you're basically out to wind up people and you're adding nothing of note to the discussion.

The original 1 month ban is upheld and I'd also advise you to not post in the Dublin GAA thread again once this ban is up, as it will eventually lead you to being permanently banned from the GAA forum by the local mods.

If you request an Admin review of all of the above then please state as such, otherwise I'll get this closed off.

even though I disagree with being excluded, I'll stay off the Dubs thread in future. and I won't appeal this ban.

I hope I won't incur the wrath of certain moderators in future when I post on the GAA forum. I started a thread on the subject of the Dublin county board's financial power a while back after the big sponsorship deal was announced. This is a topic of discussion in most counties but there were a great many negative comments sent in my direction by Dubs supporters for even addressing the issue.

If moderators take up threads like these as being 'anti-Dublin' it won't help the forum as a whole because it hinders debate.

Can this please be marked as resolved?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement