Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Advice while travelling to the US

• 25-11-2013 4:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm spending Christmas in the states, it's my first time there. For anyone that's been, I want to ask how you managed money over there as I'll be there for 3 weeks.

Should I just use my visa debit to withdraw cash? Should I get a student credit card and put all my money on it and withdraw as needed? What's the easiest and best way to do this?

for context, I have a 3rd level account with BOI.

Also, I assume I should notify my bank of the trip, yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 diana123

You may use your visa debit to withdraw cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Visa debit should be fine.
    The bank should be informed or they may block card temporarily. Just ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Check the fees your bank will levy for cash withdrawals, it may be better to take out larger amounts if there is a minimum charge per withdrawal. And try to only get cash from ATMs in bank branches, you will find yourself tripping over ATMs in convenience stores, off-licences, McDonalds and pretty much everywhere, the reason there are so many of them is because they all make a profit by charging the customer for the withdrawal on top of what your bank will charge you.

When paying by credit card, decline any offer to do the transaction in anything other than US Dollars.

And don't buy electronics and gadgets in any of the independent shops in Manhattan, they are all gangsters who will oversell on features and then fob you off with last year's model which will probably come with an AC adapter that won't work in Ireland. Only buy from Radio Shack, Apple, Staples, Best Buy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Great advice so far.

One thing to get is the number to call if your card is blocked. I know telling them advance is meant to stop this put there have been treads of this advise not working so having the number is very handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 drbeatz

Is this still the best option? Some people mention the post office card? By the time I withdraw money and put it on a post card, would that be a better option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

drbeatz wrote: »
    Is this still the best option? Some people mention the post office card? By the time I withdraw money and put it on a post card, would that be a better option?

One word

REVOLUT

just have a back up card as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

drbeatz wrote: »

Do not use the rip off An Post product. As the poster said above, use Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I hadn't noticed the An Post cards being a rip off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

troyzer wrote: »

An post charge a large FX margin on transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

JTMan wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »

An post charge a large FX margin on transactions.
    Yeah, I just looked up Revolut after it was mentioned. Holy crap, signed up instantly. I've been looking for this kind of thing for yonks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Duncanwooly

Just with the revolution, beware of how much you can withdraw at an ATM. Obviously you can use it in places that accept master card. Similarly, try n26 they do free FX transactions - would be a good backup to the revolut card

Advertisement