Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a advice on mechanics apprenticeships

Options
  • 25-11-2013 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi Everybody ,

Just looking for some advice, tips or help . I am currently living in oz but returning home in April 2014 , cant wait !!! There no place like home ! I am 25 and from cork!

When i return i want to do an mechanics apprenticeship. I have email and rang fas and solas , and they are useless !!!But the main thing i have be told its not what you know , its who you ! The other thing i was told by fas and solas we wont help you till your return ! I cant understand why they wont even give me advice.

So has anybody done an mechanics apprenticeship here? Do you have any advice or tips ? or does anybody know somebody who would be willing to take me to do an apprenticeship? I am willing to go anywhere in Ireland expect Dublin ( cost of living to high).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No one would take you on without meeting you first.... after the official agreements are signed it's really hard to get rid of an apprentice. Most will likely want you to be fairly handy with vehicles as it is anyway.

Your only real option is to wait until you get back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

You're the oldest apprentice ive heard of tbh. Cant see anyone taking you on. You'd be pretty much 30 before your finished!
    As a mechanic my advice is to keep it as a hobby and do something thats going to keep you warm in the winter and not have your back broken.
    Im sure someone who loves the job and has never been out of work with it will be along to tell you to go for it but if i had my time over its the last thing i would have done.

Any apprenticship is though but mechanics is easily the worst paid with the least prospects except for the elite imo

Think hard about it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

No one would take you on without meeting you first.... after the official agreements are signed it's really hard to get rid of an apprentice. Most will likely want you to be fairly handy with vehicles as it is anyway.

Your only real option is to wait until you get back.

Hi , thanks for the advice . I would be fairly handy with vehicles , like im able to service cars and i have always had a massive interest in cars ! I am trying to get as much info as i can before i come back and maybe even arrange a few interview via skype or for when i come back.

I did receive a email from solas this morning and this was their replay to one of the question i ask

· How do I become an apprentice?
    You must obtain employment as an apprentice in your chosen trade with an employer who is approved by FAS. Possible options include:-

- A relative, neighbour or friend who works in the trade

so im trying to get to know as much as i can and meet people in the trade before i go home , as i constantly be told its not what you know its who you know.

nc19 wrote: »
    You're the oldest apprentice ive heard of tbh. Cant see anyone taking you on. You'd be pretty much 30 before your finished!
    As a mechanic my advice is to keep it as a hobby and do something thats going to keep you warm in the winter and not have your back broken.
    Im sure someone who loves the job and has never been out of work with it will be along to tell you to go for it but if i had my time over its the last thing i would have done.

Any apprenticship is though but mechanics is easily the worst paid with the least prospects except for the elite imo

Think hard about it

Hi ,

Thanks for the advice , your never to old to learn :) and im better of improve myself , instead of been on the dole waiting for the construction trade to pick up , i was a scoffolder back home and that is a dead trade back home now .
    I have a massive interested in vehicle it has always be my passion but when i finish school i was encourage to go into to construction instead .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I can't really help you only to encourage you to do it. I was actively discouraged from taking on a mechanics apprenticeship when I left school even though I had (and still have) a major fascination with all things mechanical. I'm 32 now and when things were getting rotten for us in construction (I am still messing about in the glazing business), I did think about going back and getting a trade but I regret dithering now. Even if it's something you don't take much further than serving your time, it's always better if you can say you're a trained ______.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    I can't really help you only to encourage you to do it. I was actively discouraged from taking on a mechanics apprenticeship when I left school even though I had (and still have) a major fascination with all things mechanical. I'm 32 now and when things were getting rotten for us in construction (I am still messing about in the glazing business), I did think about going back and getting a trade but I regret dithering now. Even if it's something you don't take much further than serving your time, it's always better if you can say you're a trained ______.

Thanks mate ! Something i have learnt in oz , that you never to old to learn , people go back to college here . in their middle and later 30s .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

cantdecide wrote: »

Same here..

Wanted to do it when I was in my teens...But my parents wouldn't let me..

Never done anything about it, and regretting it ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

When I was an apprentice electrician there were lads well into their 40's in our classes in college. If I had to pick an apprentice to work with me now between some 18 year old just out of school and has no life experience or a 25 year old who knows what he wants, willing and eager to learn, I know which one I'd pick. You're never too old to start something new.

As regards looking for a job, very difficult if you're still in Oz. They were kind of right when they said it's more who you know. The only advice I could give in get on the phone and ring a load of garages until you get something. Offer to work for nothing for a week or 2 to get your foot in the door.

When I was an apprentice electrician there were lads well into their 40's in our classes in college. If I had to pick an apprentice to work with me now between some 18 year old just out of school and has no life experience or a 25 year old who knows what he wants, willing and eager to learn, I know which one I'd pick. You're never too old to start something new.

As regards looking for a job, very difficult if you're still in Oz. They were kind of right when they said it's more who you know. The only advice I could give in get on the phone and ring a load of garages until you get something. Offer to work for nothing for a week or 2 to get your foot in the door.

Hi Max

Thanks for the advice , i never thought of offering to do a work for free for a week, to get my foot in the door , thats a great ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If I had to pick an apprentice to work with me now between some 18 year old just out of school and has no life experience or a 25 year old who knows what he wants, willing and eager to learn, I know which one I'd pick. You're never too old to start something.

My brother in law owns a busy garage in Cork and whilst he's not looking for any more mechanics, he nearly always chooses people 25+ at all levels for the very reason Max Charger says above.

I'm home to Cork over the weekend & will ask him if he knows of anyone looking

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    My brother in law owns a busy garage in Cork and whilst he's not looking for any more mechanics, he nearly always chooses people 25+ at all levels for the very reason Max Charger says above.

I'm home to Cork over the weekend & will ask him if he knows of anyone looking

Thanks I have sent u a private message

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Think hard about it

Apprentices arent all 18 year olds anymore. I was recently in phase 2 of my apprenticeship(electrical instrumentation) and most of us were in our 20s with some as old as 28. First year apprentice started at work recently whose about 26. Most employers will tell you they are looking for an apprentice with a bit of life experience.

OP, you should consider HGV mechanics apprenticeship too seems to be better paid, when ur abroad anyways. Mechanics apprentice allowance is absolutely terrible by the way, worst allowance of all apprenticeships! Alot of 2nd year apprentices in construction with lodge allowance would probably be making more than a 4th year mechanic!

Advertisement